dungeon mapping tool? Any good free ones out there?

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
moogie
Novice

dungeon mapping tool? Any good free ones out there?

Post by moogie »

With the upcoming release of Legend of Grimrock and my replaying of Dungeon master I'm wondering if there is a program (something really simple and small) that would let me do maps of a dungeon while playing a game?

I love using paper and pen but if I could do just like pen and paper but on the computer I would love it even more.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: dungeon mapping tool? Any good free ones out there?

Post by beowuuf »

If it's just DM maps, they are not that large. A simple way I'd do it is any paint program, create a small picture (100 x 100 pixels), zoom in so it is large on screen, then use the paintbrush at a 1x1 brush size.

A slightly more advanced paint programme would let you insert layers to build up the map, and line up stairs and pits.

Mut admit, I still use paper if I need to map.

Otherwise, I don't know any RPG map tool programmes for drawing maps that are particularly simple, but I would look in that direction
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I dunno about a ready-made program, but Grimrock will have an auto-mapping feature in it, which you can turn on or off as you prefer, but only at the start of the game - it can't be changed past this so your first decision is final unless you restart the game. The map will then auto-draw itself as you uncover stuff. It looks a lot like the way maps are done in Stonekeep, if you ever played that. The Grimrock mapping feature is described in TotalBiscuit's video review of the game, found in the thread on this forum dedicated to Grimrock (under "Other Games Like DM" from the forum's main page).
As for a standalone prog, the only thing I've ever come across that even comes close is one called MapTool, which is designed for use making combat maps for stuff like DnD. But it has a grid (which can be turned off if you want) and you can draw in terrain and stuff, so you could probably use it pretty well to make stuff like that :).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

In DM-related games I still use the "Pencil'n'Paper Mk.1" hardware. :wink:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!