A couple of interesting games...

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

A couple of interesting games...

Post by Ameena »

Okay, I've got two games that I wanted to mention here, so I thought I migth as well put them both in the same thread. First of all, something which may be of interest to anyone who played the original Elite or its sequel, Frontier. The creator of those games, David Braben, is making a new Frontier game! It's called "Elite: Dangerous" and from what I gather it's a new, better-graphics version of Frontier but with the ability to play it multi-player. Yes, you can invite friends into your game and explore the galaxy together! This game is currently backable on Kickstarter - needs a lot of money to get it going but the deadline isn't till January some time. I expect I shall be making a pledge at some point 'cause I still play Frontier even now, in DOSBox :).

The other game I wanted to mention isn't a computer game, but a card game. It's called Sentinels of the Multiverse and is a co-operative card game with a superhero theme. Note, these aren't already-existing superheroes (such as Superman, Spiderman, etc) but ones created entirely for the game, along with their own setting and backstories, etc. Each hero has their own deck of cards consisting of a character card (showing how many hp that hero has, as well as a basic, innate power they can use) and a variety of abilities and equipment and stuff that they can access. When you play a game, everyone chooses which hero they want to be, and uses only that hero's deck when playing the game. You're supposed to play with between three and five players but you can play with only two, or even solo, though the mechanics of the game are balanced for between three and five.
But what is the object of this game? Well, as mentioned, it's a co-operative game. So the idea is to play with everyone else, helping each other out in various ways. The object is to defeat a villain. As with the heroes, each villain has their own deck. They also have their own mechanics, various abilities and things they can do depending on certain things that might happen (such as having certain cards in play, being hit for a certain amount of damage, etc). No-one plays as the villain - instructions for what they do during their turn are written on their cards, and all you need to do is follow them. You win the game when the villain is dead, unless something on their card specifies otherwise (for example, one villain is basically a giant uber-robot thingy, and has mechanical components and robotic drones which work for it - you don't win until there are no drones or components in play, even if you've killed the main boss).
To add a bit more flavour into each game, there are also a number of Environment decks. That is, the place in which you're fighting the villain. The environment gets a turn (after the villain and the heroes have had theirs) and draws cards which come into play and may affect the heroes, the villain, or everyone. It might be a creature which attacks the target with the lowest hp, or an atmospheric conflagration which burns everyone each turn, or even a weird wibbly distortion thing which turns all your equipment into targetable things with hp (yes, there is such a card). The environment can help you out or mess you up, depending on where you are and which cards come up - some environments have nicer (for the heroes) cards than others. Sometimes you can be doing fine against a villain and have the environment throw something at you which causes you to lose.
That's a point - if your hero drops to 0hp, you're dead and you can't do anything more so must sit and watch everyone else play, right? Nope! If your hero is defeated, all their cards are removed from play except their character card. This is flipped over, showing an image of your defeated hero. It also shows a list of three possible actions you can perform. You can perform one of these actions on your turn, instead of playing cards etc which you would normally do. So you might be able to destroy an annoying villain card, or let another player draw or play a card, or take one from their trash and put it into their hand, etc. If all the heroes become incapacitated, then you lose. And then you can try again another time, maybe with different heroes, or in a different environment, or with the same setup as before and hope that you get better cards out this time. Some heroes with better with certain heroes than others, but you can play as any combination of heroes against any villain in any environment. Someone on the forum worked out that the total number of possible combinations (versus every villain and in every environment, with teams of three, four, and five heroes) is something like 1.5 million! That's a lot of games :D.
Currently available is the core version of the game, also available in Enhanced Edition which features some tweaked mechanics and I think different artwork on some of the cards. It has, I think, ten heroes, four villains, and four environments. Then there are two expansions - Rook City and Infernal Relics, each including an extra two heroes, four villains, and two environments each. There are also two promo decks - one hero and one villain. And then there's another expansion on the way, Shattered Timelines, which currently has about ten days left on its Kickstarter. The target was $20,000. They made that in four hours! So far they've made over $90k, with loads of stretch rewards already reached and more to go (including a new, mega-expansion which will be able to be released by next October if they can reach the stretch goal for it).
Anyway, if anyone likes co-operative card games I can completely recommend this one! It's made in the US so if you live outside of there, the shipping cost is horrible. However, you can get it on Games Lore (and probably some other places too) - I did. Been playing it for hours every weekend with Ja'Ph' for erm, I dunno, maybe a month or so now. Big fun! :D
DSA Master

Re: A couple of interesting games...

Post by Zyx »

Thank you, interesting!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Ameena wrote:Okay, I've got two games that I wanted to mention here, so I thought I migth as well put them both in the same thread. First of all, something which may be of interest to anyone who played the original Elite or its sequel, Frontier. The creator of those games, David Braben, is making a new Frontier game! It's called "Elite: Dangerous" and from what I gather it's a new, better-graphics version of Frontier but with the ability to play it multi-player.
Fantastic! I loved Frontier - it didn't make it to the ST, so I spent a lot of time on a friends Amiga. I tried to replay it in DOSBox,but after awhile I got some copyright protection thing (enter word 3 on page 37 or whatever) and couldn't go any further.

I would love an updated version.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

As would I. I spent hours on my old Amiga playing Frontier Elite and loved every minute of it.
I tried to replay it in DOSBox,but after awhile I got some copyright protection thing (enter word 3 on page 37 or whatever) and couldn't go any further.
Try downloading WinUAE and an adf file of frontier elite. WinUAE is imo the best Amiga emulator around and and I don't remember the Amiga version of FE having any copy protection so you should be good to go on that. I believe there's also adf's of classics like eob and DM as well, so you could also enjoy the original versions of those games if you want to. In fact, I've been playing BotCF using WinUAE.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

If you go to sharoma.com/frontierverse, they've got downloads of, I think, every version of Frontier that was released. They've certainly got the one I played on the Atari, anyway. In fact, here is a link for you with the game downloads page...
http://www.sharoma.com/frontierverse/game.htm
In the version I have, it still comes up with the "Enter the letter..." copyright thingy, but the game is "hacked" in that you can enter any letter and it doesn't matter - the game will continue and your ship won't get impounded or whatever.
Master Superior

If anyone wants to play the Amiga version of Elite, you can get it in adf format from http://www.thegamearchives.com.
Of course you also need an Amiga emulator to run it on.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Thanks both for the tips, I don't know what version I was using that kicked up a fuss about the copy protection but my ship was impounded. I will try with a different version next time.

I still remember some great moments on that game - landing on an uninhabited planet for the first time felt great, because it was so difficult. Also when you discovered that if you scrolled the galaxy map for long enough 9way past the fuel range of the ship) the fuel consumption woudlr reset, and you could hop directly across the galaxy.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

if you scrolled the galaxy map for long enough 9way past the fuel range of the ship) the fuel consumption woudlr reset, and you could hop directly across the galaxy.
I never knew that! I actually tried going to unexplored systems but could never reach them, even with a fuel scoop as my ship would always start breaking down before I got anywhere near the unexplored systems. I'll have look into that and see if it works for the Amiga version.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Haha yes, the "wormhole bug" which is in the version I have (called "UK Version" in that Frontierverse link I provided). You scroll out to about 600 light years and the fuel use goes back to zero :D. You can use it to travel to places in a few days that would normally take weeks. In fact, there's a list of all the "wormhole locations", that is, far distant star systems you can jump to and then jump back from in order to cover great distances more "locally", for example travelling from somewhere like Facece (in Imperial space) to Tau Ceti (not far from Sol). Here is a direct link to the wormhole routes page...
http://www.sharoma.com/frontierverse/wo ... routes.htm
Also, if you scroll the map far enough to reach the edge of the galaxy, it actually loops back around and you appear at the other side. You can see this by checking the black-and-white galaxy map every now and then as you scroll along the normal green-grid map.
Another bug I can recall in my version is that there are two star systems very close together, One is called Cemiess or something, and the other I think also begins with C. They're within a few light years of each other. One has a slight bug in its stockmarket, under one of its items - the buying price for erm, it's gemstones or precious metals (or maybe even both) is about -3000 credits. Yes, minus 3000. That is, they pay you to take them away. And guess what that other, nearby star system has as a major import, paying around 3000 per ton for you to sell them? :twisted:
Also, if you're doing missions for the Feds or the Imps, destruction missions are easier than photography ones, though they pay a bit less, because you don't have to get as close to the planet. What I find very fun is to make sure I have an energy bomb on me (you can only ever carry one at a time) when I take a "destroy the base" mission. As you start getting in close to the planet where the secret base is, enemy ships will start spawning from it (the base). They'll do this until you destroy the base with the special missile you'll have been given on taking the mission. What I like to do is fly around and let loads of ships spawn. The AI is so clever, it has enemy ships fly the same patterns no matter where you are. As in, they'll still fly in big wide circles around you even though there's, you know, a planet in the way. But ships being destroyed by hitting a planet does nothing for your Elite rating, because you're not the one killing them. However, as nearly all the ships that spawn in these encounters are fairly light (usually showing as green on the scanner, though you might get the odd red one here and there as well - a bit heavier but still nothing too uber). That is, they're light enough that the damage caused to them by a nearby energy bomb going off is instantly fatal. Wait till you have a good-sized crowd buzzing around you, hit E (or click the Energy Bomb icon), and watch as all the green blips on your scanner turn momentarily white (explosion), then scatter into many blue blips (metal alloys) which rain down upon the planet's surface :D.
Having managed to become very uber in the game (this is playing a couple of years or so ago, in DOSBox), flying around in an Asp Explorer (the ship which I personally found to be the best in terms of speed and cargo space), I may then have erm, found out how to Hex edit my game and erm, I may have then given myself an Osprey with erm, well, pretty much every useful piece of equipment including 500 shield generators, a Class 8 Hyperdrive (not buyable in-game - you can only get up to a Class 7, and then only if you have a ship large enough to fit one in), and 20 passenger cabins. I can get from Achenar to Sol in a single jump that takes maybe a couple of days and uses maybe a ton or two of hydrogen fuel :D. I figured I'd already got myself powerful the normal way, so why not mess around a bit with a super-groovy mega-ship? Note that an Osprey is the Imperial equivalent of the Feds' Falcon, and about the smallest ship you can get without being in an Interplanetary Shuttle. I went for the Osprey over the Falcon (their stats are more or less equal, I believe) 'cause I thought it looked cooler. Oh, and I renamed it "Deathbringer". Looks a bit weird as the name is too long to fit, but...well...I don't often see my ship from the outside so that's okay :D
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Ameena wrote:Note that an Osprey is the Imperial equivalent of the Feds' Falcon
Hmmm...I had forgotten the name of these ships, but they are both used by the Teladi in X2, maybe it was a reference to this game

I don't know if anyone has played X2, but it was like a more advanced Frontier - you could buy lots of ships, and the ones you were not using could be programmed for trading or patrolling or whatever. Also you could build factories, and fight - there was a main story as well as just open world. Well worth a look for anyone who enjoyed the Elite games.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

@Ameena: I took a look at that link, sadly by the version I have (Amiga) that "wormholes" bug was already "fixed," :cry: so I guess that would explain why I never noticed it.
Hmmm...I had forgotten the name of these ships, but they are both used by the Teladi in X2, maybe it was a reference to this game
Maybe, but those are also the names of birds of prey, which are common names in fighters, helicopters, and in sci-fi games for spaceships, so it's probably just coincidence.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Most of the ships on Frontier are named after animals - birds (eg Falcon, Osprey, Eagle), snakes (eg Viper, Cobra, Sidewinder), big cats (eg Panther, Tiger, Lynx). In fact, there's only a fwe which aren't - Imperial Trader, Imperial Courier, and Interplanetary Shuttle are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Anyway, SU, you could always download the "bugged" version and experience the fun of wormhole travel for yourself, eh? :) Runs easily in DOSBox - as mentioned, it's the version I use and I've never had any problems with it, though I've known it to randomly crash on occasion. Since I always save before I leave a starport/space station, this isn't a huge problem.
Master Superior

I've been playing Elite on my Amiga emulator for the past few days now, and for the most part I'm enjoying it. Playing it again, did bring back some memories of some of the more annoying parts of the game too though. First, the game is practically unplayable without the autopilot, as the frame rate is so inconsistent and "jerky," I find it impossible to hit an enemy ship in a fight if I don't have the auto pilot to aim my laser sights right at the ship. Second, you aren't allowed to post any ads on the bulletin board, even when it would make since for you to do so. I recently got stuck on a station orbiting Earth because I'd bought a new ship that needed some extra crew and there were no job seekers advertising on the bb, so my ship was stranded. Being able to post a "job available" type ad and have people randomly contact me in response would have been very helpful.

I actually remember when I was playing my original copy on my old Amiga, I once got stranded in a system that had 0 military fuel and I had a military drive on my ship, I must have waited for 2 months at that port with no military fuel ever becoming available at any time, or for any price, the supply just remained stuck at 0 the whole time. At the time I was wishing I could have put one of those "wanted: military fuel, will pay double market price" ads up and see if anyone would bring me some fuel, but sadly could only react to what others advertise.

Still, despite those nuisances, it is an amazing game, and I am mostly reminded of how much fun it is exploring the galaxy in my trusty ship, with my trusty auto pilot. :P
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Targeting ships is a pain. Actually I tend to find it easier not to use the autopilot in combat. Just drag the screen around, try and keep the other ship in the centre, and open fire when it starts pelting towards you (as they commonly do during their flight patterns). You can make use of the autopilot (and a couple of other things) to get through a star system using only a tiny amount of fuel. Autopilot is very useful, of course, to land in most places. Space stations and underground starports (on planets with no atmosphere), anyway. I'm able to land manually on a planet which has atmosphere, albeit a bit wonkily :D.
As for hiring crew...well, there's another reason for my preference of an Asp Explorer - it only needs a crew of one (yourself). If you need to hire more crew, it's probably best to check the bulletin boards before buying the ship, to make sure there are enough people looking for jobs before you get yourself stuck. Good luck if you plan on buying something like a Boa Constrictor (needs a crew of twelve or something like that) ;).
Never used military fuel, so never had that problem. Military fuel produces the radioactive waste, doesn't it? So you have to dump it when you're at the edge of a system so the police don't get you. Or just "sell" it in the stockmarket (which costs you money, albeit not very much if I rememver rightly).
I'll have to look into this new version of Elite a bit more. Might back its Kickstarter - it has until January though, but that's a big target. At least it's in pounds and not dollars, which means I don't need to work out how much I'm spending if I do back it. My pledge for the Sentinels Kickstarter is eighty dollars which is around fifty quid. But I'll end up with one expansion, one mega-expansion, about five promo decks, a promo card or two, or more (not sure how many there are), and I think a couple of other bits. I think the Kickstarter ends tomorrow but stuff isn't being shipped out till around May. And some lovely wonderful forum member is paying my shipping costs (very horrible for people not in the UK) so I can not only get this stuff, but get it at the same time as everyone else :D. If we don't make the final stretch goal ($150), the mega-expansion won't be finished until 2014 some time. If we do make the target, it'll be by next October. We were on about $127k when I last checked yesterday. I hope we make it but there's very little time left now :O. Anyway, when the first expansion comes out in May...new decks, woo! More combinations of games that can be played! :D
Master Superior

Just drag the screen around, try and keep the other ship in the centre, and open fire when it starts pelting towards you (as they commonly do during their flight patterns)
That didn't work in the Amiga version, the best I was ever able to get was the ship on by front screen for about 5 or 6 frames, and less then 3 seconds, nowhere near enough time to line it up in my laser sights. the ships just moved way too fast to have any hope in hell of ever hitting them manually. Once, I got attacked by this pirate in a tiny ship, and I'd done the Lave system start point, so I have a Cobra III buy no autopilot, so I had no choice but to attempt to hit it manually, after over 30 minutes of missing I finally gave up and just re-loaded my game from before I'd jumped into the system where I got attacked. So what I do in a fight, is one of 2 things, if my ship's fast enough to create some distance between me and the attacker, I'll fly away until we are about 10-15 km apart and the engage the auto pilot which gets my laser sights lined right up on my attacker and start firing away when the ship's about 8-10 km away and disengage the auto pilot when the ship get inside 3 or 4 km away to avoid the enemy laser fire. This method's pretty accurate, but it only works if you can outrun the enemy ship. If I can't, I make sure my ship has at least 1 turret and will let the game run for a few seconds, then pause it, aim my turret and fire a shot, then start the game up for a couple of seconds to let my laser recharge, pause aim and fire again, and so on until either the enemy's destroyed or goes out of range, in which case I do the autopilot targeting method. I've found that's the only way I can hit anything due to that frame rate issue.

I also tried using the PC version in dosbox and although the frame rate's much smoother the ship's still move too fast to target them reliably and the game requires too fine of aim (at times you have only 1 or 2 pixels that you must hit, on a fast moving ship, otherwise you aren't hitting anything.
I'm able to land manually on a planet which has atmosphere, albeit a bit wonkily
I find landing at a spaceport on a planet can get very wonky due to a bug in the game. When I'm attempting to land manually, and am hovering over my assigned landing pad, my ship actually starts to rise even with the speed set to 0. The only way to lower my altitude is to turn my engines off and on periodically, but then if I'm not very careful, my ship may land too hard and blow up. This can get frustrating when the only spaceport in a system I have to go to is planet side and I don't have a functioning auto pilot. I usually find docking at a spaceport to be the easiest of the manual docking options, since I don't usually get any bugs rearing up on my when doing this. Still, I do sometimes get stuck with my ship's motion being stuck as relative to a nearby planet when I'm attempting to dock at a space station, which makes achieving a suitable docking speed impossible, and also, my ship won't match the station's rotation if it's still relative to a planet. I've even come to within less then 0.5 km of the station and still am stuck relative to a planet. That can get frustrating, since I have no option to manually select what my speed's relative to if the computer won't select something sensible.
you have to dump it when you're at the edge of a system so the police don't get you.
The police will only get you if you either dump it too close to a port, or dock at a port in a system where radioactive are illegal, otherwise you can just sell the radioactive off at the stock market which costs about 9-12 credits (more if it's illegal and the police didn't catch you with it and are lucky enough to find someone on the bulletin board who deals in illegal goods.
At least it's in pounds and not dollars, which means I don't need to work out how much I'm spending if I do back it
but I would need to work out the exchange rates as I work in Canadian dollars, but I won't have the money to back in until January anyways (that's one reason why I hate being unemployed)...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

If you type "Currency Converter" into Google, you'll get an easy enough way to convert your moolah ;). I think the one I normally use is called "XE Currency Converter" or something. Also, pledging to a Kickstarter doesn't take the money out straight away - money is deducted at the end of the Kickstarter, and then only if the target has been met. Ooh that reminds me, I'd better go to my bank website and make sure I pay off my credit card since the cash for the Sentinels Kickstarter will have gone through by now...they made just over 185k!
Anyway, on the subject of Frontier, when landing at a starport I basically enter the atmosphere halfway around the planet from my intended target, and fly toward it whilst decreasing my altitude. When I start getting a bit close I'll request landing clearance and lower my wheels. When I get very close, I'll be very low to the ground by now. I make sure that I'm low enough I need to then fly horizontally in order to get to the appropriate landing pad. I have to try and see the numbers as I approach so I can't be too low (other than the risk of crashing ;)). When I'm above the appropriate pad, I'm at an altitude f about 5-10 metres so I just cut the engines and plonk onto the pad. Sorted! :)
Targetting enemy ships in combat I usually pause the game in order to do so. But I actually don't tend to bother with that now - on my cheaty ship I have 500 shield generators so ships just bounce off and do me no damage :D. Actually, I'm fast enough that I never get attacked flying into a system so it's not even an issue. Anyway, ships' flight patterns tend to take them around in wide circles miles out of laser range, then swooping in very close, often close enough to collide. Also, if you have a Radar Mapper (target ship and click on Radar Mapper to get info such as ship type, drive type, etc) and the enemy ship has a bounty on them, you don't even need to target them to get the bounty when you kill them :D.
Master Superior

Yup, the radar mapper is definitely a good investment. I always try to get one as soon as I can afford it.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, it's handy :). It's probably one of the few "extras" (ie unnecessary but useful pieces of equipment, unlike, say, the Autopilot and Atmospheric Shielding which you kind of need...) that I really bother getting when playing normally. Energy Bomb is fun though, when used as I mentioned previously around a planet of endlessly-spawning bad guys before you destroy their base (or take photos of it and then leg it). And Naval ECM can also come in handy, as it's better than normal ECM (causes missiles to self-destruct if you click it as they get close - too far away and it doesn't work, but obviosuly don't wait too long ;)).
One thing I never managed to get to work was the Cargo Scoop Conversion (an extra that you equip once you already have a Fuel Scoop), which is supposed to let you scoop up, well, cargo, as the name implies ;). So for example, when you've jst blown up another ship and there's a load of metal alloys and random cargo floating about, if you fly at it in exactly the right way, the scoop is supposed to grab it and put it into your own cargo bay. But I've never managed to get this to work. Either nothing happens or I accidentally hit the thing I'm trying to scoop up and so destroy it :P.
On an almost-connected but slightly random note, I once destroyed a ship and saw its cloud of cargo go floating away as it exploded - one item was very briefly labelled "Slaves", but then almost immediately afterwards, it suddenly changed to "Animal Meat", lol.
Master Superior

I never noticed anything like that, kinda makes my suspicious of "animal meat" in the world of Elite now though :twisted: , I'd almost have to go vegetarian if I lived somewhere where the meat could have been a person... :shock:

I also could never get the cargo scoop conversion to work either, pretty much the same results as you... Which sucks because there have been times when I'd have liked to have tried asteroid mining is some of my games, but if you can't scoop up the ores, then what's the point. Which sucks because asteroid mining seems to be the surest way of finding precious metals or gems, since the planet-side mining machines only seem to pick up minerals or water, neither of which are worth enough to justify the hassle of checking mining machines for at best 10 minerals.

I haven't tried the cargo scoop conversion in the 3rd installment of the elite series, hopefully the developers had fixed the 'scoop's problems by then so it is actually useable.

The fuel scoop on the other hand is very useful, especially with a larger ship in a system with a gas giant and that imports hydrogen fuel, you can make some good profits by scooping up fuel and selling it at the local star port with little risk or game time taken up. It's also useful if you're low on cash and can't afford to buy a cargo to take to another system. In fact, you can make money going both ways if you play your cards right, by hauling garbage out to the gas giant, jettisoning it and filling up on hydrogen to sell back at the star port. That trick's bailed me out a few times when I'd overspent on something or got caught on some unprofitable voyages.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I've never actually tried scooping fuel - too paranoid about being sucked into the star/gas giant. Plus I've never had any need to - hydrogen fuel isn't particularly expensive, and I never have any major cash problems. I start the game taking farm machinery (then robots/computers once I can afford them) to Sol, and taking animal meat back to Barnard's Star. I just go back and forth 'tween those two systems till I have a load of money, taking any bulletin board requests (well, just packages, really, since there's not exactly any room for passenger cabins in an Eagle, not to mention that I have no cash at that point ;)) that come up. Eventually I'll be able to afford a new ship and be able to venture into places where I might get attacked (something which never happens in either Sol or Barnard's Star, hence my using those two places to travel between). And eventually I'll be able to make my way down to the Imperial systems and start taking military missions there. Achenar and Facece are the Imperial equivalent of Sol and Barnard's Star in that you don't get attacked there. Vequess is more like Ross 154 in that it's close to those two main systems, but you can still get attacked by pirates.
In my hex-edited game, my Class-8-Hyperdrive Osprey is so fast I never get attacked at all unless I trigger such an attack by taking a passenger who's got someone after them. Otherwise I'm just too damn fast, and those coloured dots on the 3D system map don't manage to get anywhere near me :D.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hey, you Elite fans, have you seen this Kickstarter for "Elite: Dangerous"?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/146 ... dangerous/
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I took a look at the dev diaries on that site and this game looks amazing! It's exactly what I was hoping could be done with the Frontier:Elite game over time. I'll definitely be looking out for this game and will get a hold of it as soon as I can.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Umm, Gambit, I started the thread by talking about that very game ;). I didn't have much info on it at the time, so it was just a paragraph, but that was one of the two games I spoke of in my initial post :D.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Doh! *my facepalm* For some reason I thought the conversation about the original Elite diverged from a completely different game that you mentioned. This is where I need that screwy pointing twirling finger from the old chat. :)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

We still have it. :mrgreen:

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

That's me! :D
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

...and a doh, doh, here and a doh, doh there... :P

When I first responded to your post about E:D I thought you were aware of it's coverage in the O/P of this thread...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Good news - Elite: Dangerous made its Kickstarter goal today, on David Braben's birthday and with about two days left to go! Yay! :D
Master Superior

That's very good news. Image

I only hope they do a better job then they did on the 3rd installment of the Elite series, Elite: First Encounter. I tried playing that one a few times and although is started out with a lot of promise it quickly turned sour with my ship exploding for no apparent reason on numerous occasions. It would also explode every time an enemy ship would launch a missile, regardless of weather the missile had actually hit me or not. The worst of those was when a pirate launched a missile at me, no one was shooting at me at the time, the missile was about 2 km away and my ship just exploded for no reason at all, I had no damage, my landing gear was up, was not hit my anything so no reason to explode. This happened so many times it playing the game just got frustrating. Until Elite: Dangerous is out I think I'll stick with Frontier Elite 2. At least First Encounter didn't cost me anything, other then the wasted time though.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe yeah, I still player Frontier on DOSBox from time to time. But I've upped my pledge a couple of times for Dangerous. There are a couple of stretch goals (one to release the game on Mac and Linux, I think, and one to add in extra ships) but they're at fairly high amounts and as there's less than two days left now I'm not sure those goals will be reached. There's over 20,000 backers now so I suppose if everyone just raised their pledge by a relatively small amount it'd probably be enough. I expect there's still new people backing it as well.