The Walking Dead

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

The Walking Dead

Post by Gambit37 »

I've not read the comics, but I've been enjoying the TV adaptation of The Walking Dead (can't wait for part 2 of series 3 in Feb!)

I bought the game off Steam at half price over the holiday and played a little of it last night. So far I'm quite disappointed. Clunky controls, lack of atmosphere, repetitive dialogue, linear gameplay and a weird art style have contributed to my complete lack of engagement so far.

I know the game is supposed to be more in the style of an interactive story than a fully immersive and interactive version of the TV show, but it still feels lightweight, rail-roaded and not very interesting. Anyone else played it? What do you make of it? I'm about half way through episode 1 -- does it get better?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: The Walking Dead

Post by beowuuf »

Actually, everyone I've heard speak of it has praised it quite a lot - mostly for the story when I think about it. I think you might need to take a step back from it, and come back again and see if you can forgive the controls.

Not played it myself, however - even though I bought all the series due to the sale/strength of reaction on the story.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Well, I take it back :-)

I'm now nearly finished with Episode 3 and it's got much better. It's still limited in it's interactivity, but since it's really a story more than a game, I've learned to forgive that. And it's getting great.... I've been emotionally involved in it and was shocked when
Spoiler
a lead character was killed off unexpectedly
. The jerky gameplay and cutscenes were improved by turning off shadows so now it's very watchable too (kept going out of sync before).

It still has some issues, but I'm interested to see it through now... and then try a replay but making some different choices next time....
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Whoaaaa. Finished it.

I'm an emotional wreck.

Go and play it.

NOW.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Thank goodness you gave it a second shot :D

And Walking Dead is back on American TV tonight, so I guess it's on British TV soon too?

Me, I'm waiting for Doctor Who on March 30th. Though Walking Dead, and a few other American TV shows, are on my list of stuff to eventually go back and burn through. At this rate, all of them will be posthumously! Umm, their end, not mine, obviously....
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Once I got hooked into the emotional core of the story (
Spoiler
protecting the little girl, Clementine
), all my criticisms melted away. As an interactive story, it's superbly done.

And yeah, I'm looking forward to D/L the new episode of Walking Dead TV series in the morning..... ;-)

EDIT: Here's a surprisingly good review on the Telegraph website which sort of explains why it works so well:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/v ... eview.html