Silly gaming experiences and accidents

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Silly gaming experiences and accidents

Post by cowsmanaut »

I know we have a stupid deaths in DM thread, but really we play a lot of other games and not all silly things lead to the death of a character.. sometimes just bizzare moments happen, Like trying to walk through a doorway and suddenly falling through the ground into oblivion(morrowind), maybe you capture a screen, maybe not.. I figured it'd be fun to share. So here are a few of mine, off the top of my head :)

I'm sneaking up on some bad guys and I don't know how many more baddies there are, so I switch my weapon to silencer and sneak in a little closer to take better aim on them.. silently I lock my sights onto the first guy and then..... push the wrong button.. I hit the grenade launcher.. yeah. real subtle. No worries though.. I took them all out.. I also leaped out of my chair.. but all was well in game.. yep.. meant to do that.. :D

In another instance, I was playing skyrim on my ps3 on my 61inch TV.. and I'm trying to scale a mountain because I can't find the right path.. so I'm trying to cheat my way up by leaping into corners and rebounding and then slowly scooting to the next cranny and keep up like that.. well I get to this point where I'm trying to slide my way across to the next potential nook and it's slowly panning across the mountain face.. when suddenly this large rabbit face passes the camera Camera pan......... 0_0.........pans away... perhaps it was a "need to be there" moment.. but I just found it funny to just see this huge.. very serious looking rabbit face slowly slide across the screen :D and well.. kinda creepy too.

Another moment in a game, was where I was a super hero and a civilian was being attacked by some bad guys.. I saw this and immediately jumped down to save them.. however as I got closer yelling "I'll save you" I hit the button to power kick the bad guy,, he moves out of the way and I send the civilian flying sevral meters... ooops.. at least I got him away from those thugs... :P

I'll add more as they come to mind.. but what are yours?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Silly gaming experiences and accidents

Post by Ameena »

Lol to the Skyrim one - I usually climb hills on a horse (they can go up a much steeper slope than you can on foot), so for example, I got up to high Hrothgar without ever using that massive staircase thing - I just went straight up the side of the mountain (took a while, plus I think I fell off once or twice) to their front door :D.
Let me see if I can remember a few examples of my own...
Okay, here's a moment that wasn't supid rather than funny. Plus no-one died. It was the first time I was playing Titan Quest (an ARPG, like Diablo and Torchlight, with an "ancient mythology" setting) with Ja'Ph' (I'd played and completed the game by myself before, though - this was his first time) and we were approaching the big boss of the main game (as opposed to the big boss of the expansion, which is at the end of the following Act). He's in a large area at the end of what's basically a long ramp that twists its way up a mountain and has some monsters on it thta need killing. We'd done that and were just running up the final stretch (so I knew that the only enemy remaining was that big boss guy). We were also playing using a mod thingy called Xmax which causes all monsters to spawn in their highest numbers possible (I like that it makes the game a bit more of a challenge, plus there's just something about seeing the floor utterly covered in monster corpses after you've cleared out one of their camps or anywhere else crowded). In the case of bosses, the maximum number is three, so I knew we were about to come up on three of this Big Bad, all of whom would be standing in the middle of that final area. So what did I do? Paused at the top of the ramp, just before the final, short staircase which leads into the main "arena" area in which you fight the boss (you can run out again - the entrance doesn't seal itself behind you or anything), and said "Hey, do you wanna go first here?" (we were communicating via voice chat on Skype, as we usually do), and was actually kind of surprised when Ja'Ph' thought nothing of it, but went charging into the area while I just stood there on the steps (I'm normally eager to just run in and start zapping stuff). The next thing I hear is "Aaaaaaahhhh!!!!" and he comes pelting back past me followed by at least two or three massive lightning-zappy-bolt things that the boss(es) can hurl at you. I swear I nearly pissed myself laughing, even though it was quite mean :D.
I can think of a bug-related incident which occurred when I was playing Thief: Deadly Shadows (the third Thief game) on my XBox some years ago. There's a point where you have these nasty people after you who wear hoods and wield these curved weapon things that shoot red bolts at you. The idea in the Thief games is that you're not supposed to engage in direct combat with anyone - you're a thief. You sneak around in the shadows, staying hidden, stealing stuff and taking people out by backstabbing, blackjacking, or shooting them (with arrows - you don't have guns) before they know you're there. So I was hiding at a spot near the docks of the city, and one of these bad guys was wandering around. There are plenty of resources at your disposal whichi you can use to disable or distract anyone who might interfere with your business if they see you (so, pretty much anyone except ordinary, unarmed citizens who can still run and fetch the guards if they see you steal something or find a body you've not hidden well enough or whatever). I tend to use very few of these, in fact I used hardly any the first time I played through the game - this means that I know I can play it through without worrying that I'll run out of most of it. So I'll mess around with it a bit. So anyway, I was at the docks. Deep water in this game insta-kills you so you should try not to fall in - naturally the docks, being by the sea, have a bunch of jetties sticking out over some deep water. I happened to have an oil flask on me - you throw one onto the ground and it breaks, making the floor slippery. You can also then shoot a fire arrow at it and set it on fire for a few seconds. I didn't bother with the latter but instead just threw the flask onto the jetty just as one of the hooded guys was approaching. He (well, might have been a she - you can't tell) stepped on the oil, and, unable to stop, started flailing his arms and legs around pointlessly and amusingly as he skidded straight off the edge of the dock...and then the game crashed. I tried it again after reloading (I save often so I didn't lose any progress as I'd've saved right before trying that trick), but it crashed again. Aaawwww :(.
I'm certain I'll think of more later on but those two probably take up about half a page so I'll leave it for now ;).
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Well it is bad when you do it in the privacy of your own computer, but gets worse when others witness it. When Playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer for the first time I got quite on edge as the game loaded, and when it began I just started panicking and shooting everything that moved. Until I realised that they were my team-mates... Luckily they were quite nice about it and just politely ignored me until I calmed down.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

cowsmanaut wrote:Another moment in a game, was where I was a super hero and a civilian was being attacked by some bad guys.. I saw this and immediately jumped down to save them.. however as I got closer yelling "I'll save you" I hit the button to power kick the bad guy,, he moves out of the way and I send the civilian flying sevral meters... ooops.. at least I got him away from those thugs... :P
Was that Crackdown?

That kind of thing happens annoyingly often in Crackdown.
Then whatever police that are on the scene immediately start shooting at you instead. :shock:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

No, never played crack down, it was inFamous.. you can play as a bad guy so they let you do whatever.. but I was sitting on my super heroic level, untarnished and then that happened and the police were starting to eye me.. :P

This other incident is not directly mine, but an issue a friend had. We were playing ghost recon as 3 of us.. we're all taking up position outside this camp and trying to coordinate... well my friend.. she decided to lay down in the tall grass so she wouldn't be easily seen, but the grass was too tall so she couldn't see.. in annoyance she got back up to standing position and realized suddenly she didn't have a gun anymore.. So she's exclaiming.. "what the.. where's my gun?...... I just had it... where's my gun" so of course being the gentlemen we are we get our characters over to her and start hunting around in the grass for her gun as well.. 3 highly trained marines.. outside an enemy camp.. looking for their team mates gun.. for nearly 10 minutes.. yeah.. be all that you can be :P

I tend to frequently do dumb things in games.. usually resulting from pressing the wrong button. In games like oblivon or skyrim where they hold it against you for a very long time, I try to be extra careful and save often :) So, I enjoy when it's not me doing the dumb stuff for a change.. :D
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

I had one that's bug related, while playing 18 wheels of steel: American Long Haul. I was on the Highway, heading east bound from Vancouver to Calgary with a loaded trailer, and a nearly empty gas tank, I spot a gas station up ahead and start to pull over into the gas station, only to crash into thin air, my truck and cargo are wrecked by this. I re-load the game (I'd recently saved it so didn't lose much progress, tried to pull into that same gas station and crashed into nothing again. Someone had apparently programmed a wall into the entrance to that gas station where there should have been a road.
cowsmanaut wrote:Another moment in a game, was where I was a super hero and a civilian was being attacked by some bad guys.. I saw this and immediately jumped down to save them.. however as I got closer yelling "I'll save you" I hit the button to power kick the bad guy,, he moves out of the way and I send the civilian flying sevral meters... ooops.. at least I got him away from those thugs... :P
I've had similar things happen in Fable: The Lost Chapters. I'll be trying to save an innocent traveler that's being hacked up by a bandit or whatever, will whip out my bow and shoot an arrow at the bad guy, only to have the guy I'm trying to save run right in front of my arrow just as I'm shooting and get himself killed. Ooops :oops: . Other times I'll be aiming at a villain and just as I shoot, he dashes off somewhere and I end up hitting an unarmed traveler that was behind the villain, killing the wrong guy :oops: again. If there's witnesses around, then they'll be spreading the word of what an evil villain you are... :roll:

I've also had targeting problems with the bow and arrow in that game when I've had my character drink too much and he gets drunk (everything on the screen waves around and it's hard to aim at anything when it's like that) which is the whole point of simulating your guy being drunk. :twisted:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ah, it's easy to change your alignment in Fable (I've only played the first game plus its add-on, the Lost Chapters). If you're trying to be all shiny and good, just go and kill a bunch of bandits or something (Greatwood is a good place for that). I think Balverines are good too (Witchwood). Plus you don't get much of a negative reputation for killing the occasional random peasant - you'd have to repeatedly destroy groups of them for it to make a difference - like going into towns and repeatedly murdering everyone, plus the endless guards who come after you (then go away, wait eight minutes, and everyone likes you again). Not that I do that or anything ;).
Anyway, back to bugs...this isn't stuff that happened to me but SU's bug with the lorry-driving game reminded me. On the Yogscast's main channel on YouTube they have a thing called Trucking Tuesday (HONK HONK!), which is a series of videos involving them playing random cheap trucking games (and it's uploaded on a Tuesday ;)). The bugs in those are bloody hilarious, varying between games but some examples involve a truck "dancing" around, just twitching and jumping around, rolling over, etc, with no-one touching any controls, and in another game which involved starting out driving a truck from a large car park thing in which a bunch of other trucks were lined up, they went the wrong way/crashed/messed up so they reset their truck to its starting location...and one of the other trucks went flying across the world as though it had been picked up and thrown really hard! Trucking Tuesday pretty much guarantees a laugh (if you find these kind of bugs funny, of course ;)), because you always know that something is gonna go wrong (even if Lewis and Simon aren't crashing and generally being rubbish at playing, which they frequently admit that they are), you just don't necessarily quite know what or when.