Hearthstone

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Hearthstone

Post by Ameena »

There is a new Blizzard game called Hearthstone which is a free online card game in which your cards represent various creatures and spells and which you use to defeat your opponent (either an AI or another person) - you can pay real money to buy cards but you can also buy them with gold coins which you earn from playing/winning games and stuff. It's currently in Closed Beta but if you have a Battle.net account you can opt in for a Beta key. I've been opted in for a while but hadn't received a key, when about a week ago someone else on another forum said that they'd randomly been sent about ten keys by Blizzard so were giving them away. I said "Ooh, yes please" and got myself a key. And a few daysa ago I checked my e-mail to see a "Welcome to Hearthstone" e-mail in my inbox. Hmm, I thought, that's a bit weird - I started playing Hearthstone about a week ago, so why are they e-mailing me now?
The answer - they finally decided to give me a Beta key, lol. Does anyone want it?
High Lord

Re: Hearthstone

Post by ian_scho »

Curiously recently Ï have just started playing SolForge... The <<only>> thing I use the iPad for.

Hearthstone looks similar... But will probably have a better community interaction? Let us know how you get on with it.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I've been having fun so far - you don't have to play against other people as there is a "Practice Mode" where you can choose an AI opponent from any of the nine available classes. If you go into "Play Mode", you are pitched against another, random player. There is no in-game chat - you can right-click your character in-game and it will give you a selection of things you can say (similar to those you say when you press the numpad keys in the Diablo games - stuff to the effect of "Hello", "Well played", etc), which your character will then voice. You can also play against people in your Friends list (I only have one person and he hasn't got round to downloading/installing the game yet :P).
Since the subtitle for the game is "Heroes of Warcraft", it would seem that every creature and character is one from the Warcraft universe. Of the Warcraft games, I've only ever played Warcraft II so I only recognise a couple of the names (one is presumably a relative of one of the Warcraft II characters - the Warrior is called Garrosh Hellscream, and there is a Grom Hellscream in Warcraft II), but I don't really care about that part - I'm just playing it because it's a fun, Fantasy-based, free card game :).
There are nine character classes you can play, though only the Mage is unlocked when you start - you need to beat each other class once in order to unlock it. Once you've unlocked a class, you can build a deck (or use a default deck) for it. There are a whole load of general cards which can be used by anyone, but also plenty of class-specific cards. You can buy more card packs for 100 gold, or spend real money to get more cards more quickly. However, you can get every available card by only spending gold, it just takes longer. There are a lot of customisation options and "builds" for your decks (you can have a maximum of nine custom decks) as there are so many cards, but of course some cards work better for some classes than others - for example, the Priest's base power is to heal something for 2hp, and there is a creature which lets you draw a card every time a creature is healed.
Anyway, I just didn't want to waste that spare Beta key so I'd like to give it to someone who can use it :).
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Yeah go for it. I'm always a casual player with these things.