Thimbleweed Park

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Thimbleweed Park

Post by Ameena »

Anyone else been following this? It's a game currently on Kickstarter, being made by Ron Gilbert (he of Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, etc) and another guy called Gary Winnick (I think he made a bunch of point-and-click games as well, or helped do so). It made its funding goal in about two or three days and is now progressing with stretch goals. It's a new, pixelly, point-and-click adventure game which is mentioned as being as though it was 1987 again and stuff. Proper old-school stuff :).
Son of Heaven

Re: Thimbleweed Park

Post by oh_brother »

Nice! I am sure if Jan was here he would approve too.

Not sure they need to use Kickstarter though - the programming cannot be that difficult. Writing the story (i.e. series of jokes) is the only challenge, I would have thought.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

And thinking up all the puzzles that make up the core of the game, I expect ;). I think with stuff like Kickstarter, it's so the maker(s) can fully pour all effort into producing their game (or whatever it is they're getting Kickstarted), hiring whatever extra help they need, and otherwise fully focusing on achieving their goal without needing to worry about silly stuff such as how to pay the bills each month in the meantime ;).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Only yesterday have I learned that this game exists and should be released this year. Wow! I'm thrilled! I can't believe I missed it! I haven't purchased a new game for... what?... more than 15 years I think, but I absolutely have to buy this one! I'm looking forward to it like a small boy! I can't wait! :D

https://thimbleweedpark.com/ is my favourite page now :P
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol, so OB was right in the second post of this thread where he said you'd approve ;). Looking forward to this coming out. Should be good!
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

This looks sweet. I don't really keep my ear to the ground, so i hadn't heard of it either. Looking forward to it!
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Had an e-mail today regarding the Kickstarter rewards - people who backed at a high enough tier get to record their own special voice message to be included in the game (I think there's gonna be a part with a phone where you can call any number you like or something, so "wrong numbers" will play people's anwering machine messages), and I am one of those people. Now I just need to think what to record, lol.
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

*pure envy*
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Getting closer, really excited about it. Cool about the phone message Ameena - make sure to let us know what your number is!
Ameena wrote:Now I just need to think what to record, lol.
Just use it as a means to troll Jan for missing out?
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

oh_brother wrote:Just use it as a means to troll Jan for missing out?
Surely nobody would dare to do this? :twisted:

EDIT: Anyway, as a means of preparing myself for this release, I started re-playing the old good Lucas Arts adventures made by Ron Gilbert... and of course, the first game on the table is MI1. Right now, I'm training with the swordmaster and preparing for the swordfights. :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

You don't train with the Sword Master, you train with Captain Smirk. The Sword Master (Carla) is the one you need to fo rhe training for, in order to be able to beat her ;).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

D'oh! Now this is embarrassing! :oops: Of course you're right! I call him "swordmaster" too, don't know why. You seem to know MI backwards! I'd better watch my steps carefully next time! :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol well, I've played the first game quite a few times so yeah, I think I know it pretty well :D.
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Thimbleweed Park has been released! I got it as a present and am already downloading it now! :P I wish I had a faster Internet connection, damn! :evil:

Unfortunately, I'm so busy these days... I'll only have an hour or so a week to play it now... but I'm already looking forward to the main summer holidays :mrgreen: .
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Yipeee! It works and looks and feels absolutely fantastic! And I've even got a soundtrack! Gosh, I wish I had more time for that! :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, I knew it was out yesterday but won't get time to play it for a while 'cause I'm already busy with other games (been sort-of replaying Mount and Blade recently and just a minute ago I got an e-mail with my Gwent Closed Beta key soooo, probably gonna be busy a while longer yet ;)). I did see in the Kickstarter update stating the release that pretty much every comment was along the lines of "Wow, good job! This is the best Kickstarter ever thanks to all the info you guys were giving out and I've started the game and it's really fun!" and variations thereupon. So it's all looking very good indeed, I would say :D. Just need time to get around to playing it...