Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PetriH
Ask me about LoG

Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest

Post by PetriH »

Hello!

It's been a while (some of you may remember me from the days of DM2K and EFDM, and later Grimrock). Our new game, "Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest" has been in the works for some time and finally it's the time to properly announce it. We're again starting from nothing with a new company and a partially new team and hopefully building a new successful game with it. Here's the info blurp from the Druidstone website. Please let us know what you think!

###

Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest is a fantasy roleplaying game, in which you play the role of a druid who has just been reincarnated. Who are you? How did you die? Your mind is foggy. You only know you are here for a reason. The forest called you here because it needs you.

The world of Druidstone is a vast procedurally generated forest where you explore ancient ruins, battle monsters with spells and swords, and meet interesting friends and foes. Battles will be fought on a two-dimensional grid using a tactical, turn-based battle system. Using your limited resources wisely is important for surviving in this dangerous world. You start the game barehanded, only clad in a simple cloak but as you discover the secrets of the Menhir Forest you will get more powerful and learn new abilities and battle tactics. At the heart of Druidstone is a gripping story which is told through the encounters and characters you will meet. Perhaps you will team up with an ally or two along the way?

Druidstone is developed for the PC by Ctrl Alt Ninja, a group of game designers, programmers and artists who have previously worked on the critically acclaimed Legend of Grimrock games. Ctrl Alt Ninja was founded in 2015 by designer-programmer Petri Häkkinen and art director Juho Salila for creating their next dream project.

http://www.druidstone-game.com
Twitter: @DruidstoneGame
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest

Post by Gambit37 »

Hey Petri, good to hear about the new game finally. Congrats on getting so far already, the screenshots look lovely.

I'm curious why you setup a new studio name to do this? Is Almost Human no longer active?

I'm also curious why you went with a turn based game after the success of Grimrock? I was convinced the next game would be free roaming 3D (not grid based).
PetriH
Ask me about LoG

Post by PetriH »

Thanks, Gambit! Almost Human is still alive but no new games are being developed at the moment (it's possible that AH returns some day with another game). Meanwhile Ctrl Alt Ninja is developing Druidstone. The ownership and structure of the two companies are different and it would not have been practical to make the game under AH's label when not all team members are involved in the new project.

We love turn-based games (and I'm a junkie for oldschool games) and after making two Grimrock games (which were realtime) it was nice to make something else for a change. We think turn and tile-based is a perfect combo and brings a lot of tactical aspects to the gameplay. The recent XCOM games are a good example.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ah that makes sense. I'm not very familiar with turn based games: I managed to avoid all of them back in the day (I know, weird huh?) I'll be interested to see how Druidstone shapes up: perhaps it will finally persuade me to give them a go :-)