DM & CSB in DSB fix thread

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Joramun
Mon Master

DM & CSB in DSB fix thread

Post by Joramun »

Hello,

Please use this thread to collect all unexpected behaviours in DM / CSB for DSB. Keep the thread tight: edit your post rather than bumping, please.

I will upload a new version of each when a sufficiently large number of bugs are fixed.

DM:
- Ending not working - (?)
- The Vault: silver coin does not shut door when removed. - fixed
- Pit room in Coautl level: couldn't seem to open the left hand path! - I could, but it was somewhat complicated
- Fireball trap on rat level does not work - fixed
- Monster transporter fields in area where speedbow is are in the wrong place - don't know the normal placement / are the monster free ?
- Clockwise/turnback etc: can get through, but got different destinations - where is that ?
- Copper coin treasure room: nothing in alcoves! - fixed
-
Lunever wrote:Fake walls: I met (Encyclopaedia) Couatl Nr. 13 not on Encyclopaedia x13/y10/z04, but on Enc. x14/y09/z04, so must already have passed 1 fake wall.
Looked in ESB - why is it that Encyclopaedia 13/10 is in ESB 13/11?
Sophia wrote:I'd assume because it's wrong in RTC, too. Joramun's DSB-DM is more or less a direct conversion of the DM.txt that came with RTC.
I didn't find an error in esb there.
- What is undefoot is soon overhead doesn't work, no fireballs, just double floor trigger sounds. - sophia fixed engine in 0.41+
- In the Oitu nest I found a Lo-Ven-bomb, I think it should be a Mon-Ven-bomb. - fixed- is there a reference for that ?
- Found again Lo-bombs instead of Mon-bombs near the tomb of the firestaff. - fixed- is there a reference for that ?
NB: the power of venbombs is extracted from RTC dungeon versions. I thought I had made a mistake in RTSB,
but since some venbombs have a power set to 1-5, I think the error comes from the rtc source.

CSB:
- The random teleporters just after the Junction don't work - to investigate MORE
- Shooters that produce items don't work - fixed
- Gibberish scroll - WHAT is that ?
- Dain destroyable doors - to investigate
- Ku - mummy generator et Enc. z08/x17/y24 does not generate mummies. - to investigate
Last edited by Joramun on Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.
What Is Your Quest ?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: DM & CSB in DSB fix thread

Post by Sophia »

I"ll post the list that Paul H came up with for DM, and my own commentary on each one in italics below.

The Vault: silver coin does not shut door when removed.
This is because DM and RTC support constant weight alcoves but DSB doesn't. A trigger under the alcove will do the same thing.

Pit room in Coautl level: couldn't seem to open the left hand path!
I didn't understand this one...

Test your strength: even with Stamm, couldn't throw any object far enough. Finally did with 80 strength.
I don't think this is a bug. The formula for Ku potions is known to the party by this point, so I think part of the point of this puzzle is to make the party use them.

Fireball trap on rat level does not work
I didn't look into this one yet

Monster transporter fields in area where speedbow is are in the wrong place

Clockwise/turnback etc: can get through, but got different destinations

Diamond Edge - none of clouds are darts are triggered.
This was a DSB bug that got fixed in 0.41

Ruby Key: 'error untriggered nil' message
This was a DSB bug that got fixed in 0.41

Copper coin treasure room: nothing in alcoves!
This one is broken because the alcoves are lower down in the tile's list of contents than the items the alcove contains. That is, at the time it is rendering the contents, the alcove hasn't yet been rendered, so the objects are essentially "behind" the alcove and their clickzones are not being created properly.

As for CSB, there are two that I can think of:
- The random teleporters just after the Junction don't work
- Shooters that produce items don't work

The randomized teleporters should be relatively easy to fix as of DSB 0.42 because you can use a floor trigger linked with an instance of a "trigger_controller" to simulate the function of the random teleporters in RTC. Alternatively, if you wanted to be more authentic, you could forget about the randomization and have them flickering on and off at a constant rate like in real CSB.

The reason the shooters are broken is because they're set to require their items inside of the shooter but the items are stored in the shooter's tile. The easiest fix now is probably to edit the shooter options so that it looks for items in the same tile instead of inside.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Don't want to doubly post - in the past I reported a couple of bugs here:

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 4&start=90
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I'll send a new version of CSB and DM asap to Sophia.

Remember that the dungeons are imperfect conversions from RTC. I need to fix things, and make things more DSB-ish for them to be finished.

However, to fix the Junction of the Way I need to look into the new features and make sure the behaviour is the vanilla CSB one.

Besides, are the giggler mechanics working correctly ? are they vanilla CSB ? or were there complex functions hidden in the original code ?
What Is Your Quest ?
siggboy
Novice

Post by siggboy »

Sophia wrote:Test your strength: even with Stamm, couldn't throw any object far enough. Finally did with 80 strength.
I don't think this is a bug. The formula for Ku potions is known to the party by this point, so I think part of the point of this puzzle is to make the party use them.
One can also just use the bow/sling and shoot an object (I think it's what I did); no need for even a Ku potion. The pressure pad is quite far away (10 tiles or so), so throwing without boosted strength is not supposed to work.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

@Joramun:

How are you working on these conversion? I hope you use some good automatic tool.
What is "vanilla CSB"?
Concerning gigglers, I don't think there is special functions in the code. All gigglers just wander around and enter teleporters 'randomly'.

@Sophia:
That makes me thinking: in DM, creatures teleported in levels they are not allowed instantly die (thus some gigglers do). Is this supported by DSB?
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I generated them with an automatic tool. Now I use ESB to make changes.

What I call "Vanilla CSB" is the original Chaos Strikes Back (Atari ST, no magic maps)

To answer your second question: DSB could well "support" killing monsters not allowed in a level, on a dungeon-by-dungeon basis.
However it is an engine limitation of the original game rather than a feature.
Currently nothing kills monsters in the DSB versions of DM & CSB.
What Is Your Quest ?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I think there are a couple of places where CSB relies on the behavior of "forbidden" monsters being instantly killed, but the RTC version that you ported from has appropriate features to compensate for this behavior not existing in RTC and DSB. Other than that, Joramun is right, it's a limitation, not a feature, in original DM.

That said, I could add in support for (optional) monster restrictions if there is any decent amount of demand for it, but I thought there was not. :)
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Currently (DSB V.051) the firestaff-amalgam isn't working. After using the ZoKathRa first and the clicking the firestaff on the powergem, both the firestaff and the powergem just disappear.

I found an old hotfix-workaround: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... ff#p110410

Still, this needs to repaired in the dungeon.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Currently I'm testing DSB V0.52 with "CSB add magic map".

Does anyone know: Is CSB+MM - aside from the map - identical with the LATEST version of standard DSB-CSB?

EDIT1:

ESB crashes when opening "CSB add magic map" dungeon.lua

The torch holder in the starting room at 4,27,23 can be operated without a torch but with an empty hand in DSB.

The Junction of the Way teleporters (around 7,21,20) )seem to be permanently on, so there are some portions of the dungeon, like the "give up and pull the lever" part of Ros (Level 07), that cannot be accessed at all.

EDIT2:

In the Neta Screamer/Oitu chamber the monster generator at 7,25,25 continues to create Oitus even if you just habe a screamer slice in your inventory. It should only create Oitus if screamer slices are dropped on the floor.

EDIT3:

The mummy generator in Neta at 6,30,30 where you have to corner the mummies isn't working, probably due to generting mummies with 0 health. But since the door to be opened is blastable in DSB (which it shoudln't be) you can bypass this riddle.

EDIT4:
Putting a coin in the saphire key shop below the DDD at 3,7,18 produces Error:Untriggered Nil.

EDIT5:
Just dropped a giggler through a trapdoor unto a skeleton at 3,7,9. Now they arey standing both on the same position on the same tile. I think one should crush the other.

EDIT6:
When returning a second time to the poison circle in Neta at 4,12,12, LUA-Error.

EDIT7: Missile flight times in the Neta corridor of fire are just half a second to quick - you cannot reach the shelter tiles before the fireballs hit (i.e. 1,8,8).

EDIT8:
Error:Untriggered Nil, when entering the FulYa level (via Neta) at 0,23,20. Probably something with the flamebain floor trigger.

EDIT9 a:
If you corner the Vexing Vexirk at 8,24,23, he teleports away, but neither is his treasure is teleported, nor is his successor teleported back into the Vexitk maze.
EDIT9 b: Probably in original CSB the Vexirk was killed due to being teleported into a level that doesn't have Vexirks, but since DSB doesn't have this limitation it's not used as a feature, and the Vexirk lived happily ever after.

EDIT10:
The door between Ros and Dain at 6,23,20 should be blastable, but isn't in DSB.

EDIT11:
In Ros, when taking the green gem unto the floor trigger at 4,35,16, there are 2 messages "Error:Untriggered Nil".
The keyhole at 4,31,16 seems to be lockpick only, it doesn't allow you to use up normal iron keys (which it should I think).

EDIT12:
Just killed of all Ros maze dragons without resistance by using OhEwRa and OhVen. Illusionary walls that have been passed by either the party or by any missile/spell should at least be ignored by all monsters (or even better by individual witnessing monsters, but the former would be much easier to implement for now).

EDIT13:
LUA-Error when returning to the floor trigger at 4,33,12

EDIT14:
The door secluding the Vexirk cabal at 8,15,39 is not blastable as it should be, so that area cannot be accessed at all.

EDIT15:
LUA-Error when steppin on the floor trigger at 8,14,27 (after already having disabled the mummy generator at 8,17,25

EDIT16:
LUA-Error when returning to the floortrigger in the Ku part of the DDD at 2,18,23.

EDIT17:
Error:Invalid Sound Kinght when stepping on the knight monster generator trigger at 2,28,30, past the Ku-DDD.

EDIT18:
When stepping on the floor trigger past the Ku-DDD at 3,23,6, Error:Invalid Sound Dragon,

EDIT 19:
It is impossible to proceed past the rive/water elemental section of Dain, since the 3 doors at 6,4,17 cannot be destroyed as they are supposed to.

EDIT20:
The door at 5,19,3 (leading from Dain's fireball room to the "prove that you're a wizard" trapdoor hall) should be blastable and is in theory blastable with fire 60. However, the teleporters seem to work differently than in the original - it is not possible to blast the door since the teleporter doesn't affect only missiles, that are fired into its tile, but also missiles, that are fired while standing on that tile - so you just can't blow up the door. I'm pretty sure that in original CSB that door could be blown up.

EDIT21:
The lock at 0,19,23 eats up lockpicks.

EDIT22:
Floor trigger at 0,17,30 (Dain Crown of Nerra/Orange Gem deactivating Zystas monster generator): 2x Error:Untriggered Nil

EDIT 21:
So, I've finally made it, accessed almost all parts of the dungeon (except the water elemental room and the night cloak area), some of them by pits and back entrances, got all Corbums, threw them into the FulYa-Pit. And nothing. No end of the game is triggered.

Summa summarum - assuming CSB+MagicMap is based on the latest release of the CSB dungeon most of the errors I reported 2 years ago are still there, probably they haven't made it yet on the to do list. I hope some day they will, since a half-functioning CSB doesn't represent such a good engine as DSB very well.
No to be misunderstood - this is great work by Joramund, it's just missing the last finishing touch it needs to be a real alterantive to other CSB emulations. With this finishing touch it might even be the best of all CSB emulations.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Ok, i've fixed DM, but the firestaff bug might have been related to a bug in ITEM_ACTION (now replaced with a QSWAPPER).

Moving on to CSB. CSB + MagicMap is not (up to now) updated by me, so the answer is: it's not bugfixed. Still, I'll use your buglist as a reference, and I'll try to bugfix both.
What Is Your Quest ?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Fine! For comparison - the firestaff in Sophia's test dungeon already works properly.

CSB: The question is - have there been bugfixes to CSB, after CSB+MM had been created? If not, updating both instead of one shouldn't be much of a problem.
However, in that case it might be even better to completely switch to CSB+MM, after all the latter has an additional cool major feature implemented.
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

Here's one not already listed: the game doesn't actually bother to end once you fuse Chaos.

The grey lord just sits there gesturing vaguely until you get bored and attack him. At that point the game crashes.

[S:base/methods.lua:180: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'quickness' (a nil value)]

edit:

to get a reasonable ending, append something like

Code: Select all

obj.greylord.fintext=
{
	"THANK YOU MY FRIENDS.",
	"",
	"YOU HAVE BANISHED CHAOS AND REJECTED THE FALSE PATH",
	"OF UNCOMPROMISING ORDER.",
	"",
	"ONLY BY LEARNING THE TRUTH AND SEEKING",
	"THE PATH OF BALANCE DID YOU GUESS",
	"THE TRUE NATURE OF THE FIRESTAFF.",
	"",
	"BY YOUR BRAVE DEEDS I AM MADE WHOLE AGAIN",
	"AND HARMONY IS RESTORED TO THE WORLD.",
	"",
	"YOUR NAMES WILL BE REMEMBERED",
	"BY THE FUTURE GENERATIONS YOU HAVE MADE POSSIBLE.",
	"",
	"",
}

obj.greylord.msg_handler=
	{
		[M_NEXTTICK]=function(id, data)
			if (data > 1 and obj.greylord.fintext[data-1] == "") then
				dsb_write(system_color, "")
			end
			if	(data > table.getn(obj.greylord.fintext)) then
				dsb_game_end()
			elseif ( obj.greylord.fintext[data] == "" ) then
				dsb_msg(5,id,M_NEXTTICK,data+1)
			else
				dsb_write(system_color, obj.greylord.fintext[data])
				dsb_msg(2,id,M_NEXTTICK,data+1)
			end
		end
	}

function h_fused_chaos(chaos_id)
	dsb_msg(1,chaos_id,M_NEXTTICK,1)
end
to objects.lua

It will still crash if you attack the grey lord while he's chatting, though
Friends don't let friends eat worm round
lenochware
Novice

Post by lenochware »

It will still crash if you attack the grey lord while he's chatting, though
I believe that adding field quickness with some value to the obj.greylord will fix the crash.
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

As a bandaid that would work, but it would be better if method_physattack didn't assume the value was set for all monsters when it isn't.

Either that or there should be a base monster class with appropriate default values so if we start by cloning that then we guarantee crash-safety.
Friends don't let friends eat worm round
Huan
Neophyte

Post by Huan »

I've made a quick test, and both DM and CSB don't seem to respect the original games for stats gain when leveling up. See:

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 27&t=28186

Example: For Neophyte (level 2), I've tried for more than 30 mn, while running into wall to change the random seed values.
- After reloading, stats modified by the previous save remain green with original values.
- Anti-Magic only raise by 0-2.
- Priest & Wizard: Anti-Fire doesn't raise by 0-1.

The other values are correct for Priest & Wizard Neophyte level.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

DSB uses the fact that it stores all stats internally as a 10x to create a smoother and more fair progression than the original, but the expected values are still the same.
This means that comparing one single level's gain to another won't give the same results all the time, but the results over a whole game will look like the original, albeit with less chance of outliers.
It also makes save scumming a lot less profitable.

The stats remaining green is just a bug though. I'll fix that. :)
Huan
Neophyte

Post by Huan »

Not too important, but Screamer's attack speed is at least 3 times slower than DM PC (they are slow-moving but very fast while attacking).
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Fixed that!
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I came here to post a similar experience to Huan. I was unable to level up in any class in the top level of the prison and saw fixed stat increases on the second. There's also an issue with turning on stairs. Sometimes it would place a wall at the top of the stairs or turn sideways instead of going up.

I also take exception to your term "save scumming". Just because you don't personally like the method doesn't mean it's wrong. The last straws for me was when I played one game where every time I went up in a class, I got 0 stat increases. This was near the begining with reincarnated characters, but still to only get health, stamina, and mana increases over and over again was frustrating to say the least. So now I will reload if the engine screws me on stat increases.

I recognize that this is your engine, but if that's going to be your attitude about it, I'm going to have to stick with CSBwin as this destroys my interest in it. The only alternative you leave me is to edit the dungeon to ajdust the stats, which I do consider cheating. It's too bad too, I really liked some of the differences, but this is a deal stopper for me at least.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Phoenix wrote: I was unable to level up in any class in the top level of the prison
The experience modifier for that level is 0, so you'll never get experience for anything you do there. That's the same as in CSB proper.
Phoenix wrote:There's also an issue with turning on stairs. Sometimes it would place a wall at the top of the stairs or turn sideways instead of going up.
As of version 0.62, the turning on stairs issue should be gone, so make sure you're using that version. If it's still a problem, then I've probably missed something in my test cases, so please tell me what exactly you did so I can fix it.
Phoenix wrote:Just because you don't personally like the method doesn't mean it's wrong.
I just think it's a waste of time, honestly. I tried to make the DSB stat progression closer to the average to avoid getting screwed over by getting 0 on a level. However, as you and others have noticed, DSB's progression smooths out the high end as well as the low-- this is fine with me, but if maximal stats are what you want, I'd happy to add a flag that you can set to always give the maximum possible value for a stat increase on every level up. That way, you get the same outcome, without having to mess around with lots of reloading. :)
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Umm, I think you have a misconception there. It's experience multiplier not modifier. The technical documentation states: "If the Experience Multiplier of the current level is not 0, then Experience is multiplied by the Experience Multiplier." I always reincarnate, so I've been leveling up on the top level of the CSB prison since my Atari ST days. I never knew about level 2 of the prison until I looked at the maps on the DM/CSB encyclopedia.

Ok, I was using 0.61, so you've most likely fixed that.

I would absolutely love a max stats flag! :smile: I've been using a set of ksh scripts to track level increases and, I've observed that for max stats that the original engine will either give you full increases for health, mana and all stats except anti-magic (which is usually 1), or it will give you 1 or 2 points for anti-magic, max all other stats and never give you max health. Health isn't usually an issue as many champions will reach 999 by the time you get to Um or EE master, but I've never observed the possible 3 points for anti-magic (unless it was only that stat which increased). This would also make champions with stats in the 30's more playable. Having a D&D background, I'm not a big fan of the whole DM/CSB leveling system, and I agree with your assement of the reloading. I'd rather be exploring, fighting creatures and solving puzzles, but in many cases not getting the full inceases means that my champions are always encumbered, miss when attacking and take more hits. If you try using potions to compensate, you don't have mana for attacks/fireshields. Low wisdom and heavy magic use leads to heavy reduction to your food supply. I don't always push for max stats, but I'll typically reload for essencial stats (+2 str/+1 dex for fighter, +1 str/+2 dex for ninja, +2 wis and max mana for wizard, +1 wis and max mana for priest).
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

The modifier/multiplier thing was just a typo on my part, but, as for the bigger issue, I'll delve into the CSBwin source code and see if there's a discrepancy between how it works and what DSB does.
I'll put both that and the max stats flag into 0.63.

I'll try to finish that this weekend or early next week. :)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

This is now done.

All you have to do when using DSB 0.63 is go into ESB, load your dungeon, choose "ESB Options" and check the "Maximize stat bonus" checkbox, then save the dungeon.
(Since this is done per dungeon, you'll have to change both the CSB prison and dungeon if you're playing CSB and want a maximal bonus in both places)
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

This is awesome! You rock! :very happy:
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Ok, after some time with the new engine here are some observations:

The new leveling flag works great!

If you export from the prison and die in the worm room, if you click on restart the game, it returns to the prison, but the option to export is no longer there. In the normal game it lists export to dungeon even though the dungeon is already exported.

Holy %$#! Those worms have been upgraded. They are much faster. I used to be able to run and get behind a worm and attack, but these new worms turn and attack in almost the same tick. They move and immediatly attack as well. I've had a dragon do a complete 180 and attack in the same instant. I'm not sure how I feel about this change from the original. I'm seeing the same behavior with other creatures. It gives them essencially first strike ability. This could be adjusted to classic DM/CSB by a creature attack delay of 1 - 2 seconds.

Deth Knights behave normally, except they have this odd habit of walking away from the fight and start wandering about.

My jaw dropped when I saw a worm dodge a fireball, but that's not necessarily an unwelcome change.

When punching, I noticed that stamina was only draining every other punch.

The climb down option of the rope neither drains stamina nor generates any experience. I currently play using a single champion, so I don't use bows or thrown weapons. This means I have to train to boost ninja, and the rope action produces the highest amount of ninja experience.

Lo vi bro normally cures all poison in DM/CSB, but it's not the case here. I can see why this is desirous for custom dungeons, but it not really true to the DM/CSB dungeons.

Wall damage seems to vary as well from 1 - 3 instead of 1.

I don't know if this is intensional, but ant men are half height.

In the path of neta, just before the ring of poison are a set of stairs leading up to a skeleton ( level 3 ) behind two doors. The outer door is open here but closed in other varients.

The wall decoration of some switches and slime outlets are inverted in the path of dain.

When you arrive at the surrender your posessions square, access to the exit is possible if you are quick. The blocking wall appears a second later. Placing the correct item on the floor allows escape, and the item is teleported to the supplies area.

There is a waterskin available from the south passage of the junction that spawns oitus. It's empty here, but full in other varients.

Outside of my training in the prison, I never needed to renew light spells and light levels never varied.

UI issues:

If you define a key to exit and then click here to return to the game, the game exits instead.

For some reason, it took me several tries to save a change to swap leader side to End. It would change the setting and use it in game. I saved my game and exited the program. The next time I restarted DSB and reloaded my save, the change was gone. Repeating this process eventually corrected the problem.

When taking damage, if the damage rate is high and fast, the name bar damage display switches from damage/hit to cumulative damage from all hits or worse imaginary damage. I managed to wedge myself between two 4 packs of deth knights in Dead End. During the short battle, my damage at one point was displayed as 812, but my champion Tula only had 46 out of 623 health at this point and this was before using any vi potions.

I was able to complete CSB and perform my standard collect all possible items (this covers most of the dungeon). All the puzzles seamed to work as expected. The only thing that I didn't do was configure and activate the launcher on 0. Tula's final stats at Um fighter, Lo ninja, On priest, and Pal wizard were: 903 health, 463 stamina, 367 mana, 66 str, 66 dex, 92 wis, 80 vit, 92 am, and 78af. Powertowers, dexhelm and flamebain will bring her to 76 in str and dex and in 90 anti-fire.

One last minute addition:
While in the black flame section of the DDD, I got surrounded and my champion was spinning like a top from the attacks. This made it impossible to direct attacks toward a single creature. I'm not sure how this one could be addressed. The shift to face the attacker doesn't seem to be as quick in other engines.
Last edited by Phoenix on Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Wow, lots of stuff. I just wanted to let you know I saw your post and I'll look into the issues raised, but it might take me a little bit. :)
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Take your time. I enjoyed testing DSB, especially with that new flag. :) I can't say that I know CSB as well as I do DM. Mostly because the difficulty of mapping it, but mainly due to the shifting nature of the paths. There are some places it seems like it is impossible to revisit or even visit in some cases (pray for a miracle). There seems to be a point when the junction of the ways locks on a certain destination to the exclusion of other paths. This happens in all varients, so I don't know if I missed testing anything. It took a while to get adjusted to the creature dynamics. At first, it was like I was playing CSB for the first time. Keyboard swap leader side with a single champion is awesome!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Finally got around to this stuff! :mrgreen:
I'll finish up some fixes and hopefully have 0.64 released this weekend.
Phoenix wrote:If you export from the prison and die in the worm room, if you click on restart the game, it returns to the prison, but the option to export is no longer there. In the normal game it lists export to dungeon even though the dungeon is already exported.
I decided the simplest approach was to just eliminate the first problem so you can never get stuck in the prison. You'll always have the option to export, but this makes it work like CSB or RTC, so I guess that's ok.
Phoenix wrote:Holy %$#! Those worms have been upgraded. They are much faster. I used to be able to run and get behind a worm and attack, but these new worms turn and attack in almost the same tick. They move and immediatly attack as well. I've had a dragon do a complete 180 and attack in the same instant. I'm not sure how I feel about this change from the original. I'm seeing the same behavior with other creatures. It gives them essencially first strike ability. This could be adjusted to classic DM/CSB by a creature attack delay of 1 - 2 seconds.
For now, I'll just say that your opinion is noted. :)
Phoenix wrote:Deth Knights behave normally, except they have this odd habit of walking away from the fight and start wandering about.
Fixed that.
Phoenix wrote:My jaw dropped when I saw a worm dodge a fireball, but that's not necessarily an unwelcome change.
:mrgreen:
Phoenix wrote:When punching, I noticed that stamina was only draining every other punch.
The stamina drain for punching is low, but as far as I can tell the numbers are correct. It just won't always be visible because it is so low.
Phoenix wrote:The climb down option of the rope neither drains stamina nor generates any experience. I currently play using a single champion, so I don't use bows or thrown weapons. This means I have to train to boost ninja, and the rope action produces the highest amount of ninja experience.
It drains stamina and generates experience, but only if there is a pit. Using stamina and giving experience when there wasn't actually anything to climb was (in my opinion) a bug in DM, so DSB doesn't work that way.
Phoenix wrote:Lo vi bro normally cures all poison in DM/CSB, but it's not the case here. I can see why this is desirous for custom dungeons, but it not really true to the DM/CSB dungeons.
I didn't like how poisoning has a strength level, and the potion has a power level, but those didn't interact in any way. I will add an option in future versions to have them behave like they do in standard DM, though.
Phoenix wrote:Wall damage seems to vary as well from 1 - 3 instead of 1.
DM generates wall damage using its standard damage code. DSB's damage functions are laid out differently and it would be kind of awkward to try to use one, so it just generates a random number between 1 and 3, because usually that's close enough.
Phoenix wrote:I don't know if this is intensional, but ant men are half height.
They look fine to me...? Can you post a screenshot of what you mean?
Phoenix wrote:In the path of neta, just before the ring of poison are a set of stairs leading up to a skeleton ( level 3 ) behind two doors. The outer door is open here but closed in other varients.
The door worked properly for me. I looked it in ESB and compared it to the version in CSBwin and it looks exactly the same-- the door starts closed and gets closed if you opened it every time you enter the DDD.
Phoenix wrote:The wall decoration of some switches and slime outlets are inverted in the path of dain.
What do you mean inverted?
Phoenix wrote:When you arrive at the surrender your posessions square, access to the exit is possible if you are quick. The blocking wall appears a second later.
This is how CSBwin works too, I think. The wall is there initially, but after the trap has been deactivated, it takes a moment for the wall to reappear if you trip it again.
Phoenix wrote:There is a waterskin available from the south passage of the junction that spawns oitus. It's empty here, but full in other varients.
My CSB hint book says it's supposed to be empty, too.
Phoenix wrote:Outside of my training in the prison, I never needed to renew light spells and light levels never varied.
It doesn't surprise me, because, after looking into this, I found that there is a pretty big bug in the code that handles light spells. I'll fix it, of course.
Phoenix wrote:If you define a key to exit and then click here to return to the game, the game exits instead.
This is because the act of pressing the key to define it put that key into the key buffer, which was then processed as soon as you returned to the normal game interface. This would happen with any key, but since the game was frozen most of them didn't actually do anything. Fixed it!
Phoenix wrote:For some reason, it took me several tries to save a change to swap leader side to End. It would change the setting and use it in game. I saved my game and exited the program. The next time I restarted DSB and reloaded my save, the change was gone. Repeating this process eventually corrected the problem.

When taking damage, if the damage rate is high and fast, the name bar damage display switches from damage/hit to cumulative damage from all hits or worse imaginary damage. I managed to wedge myself between two 4 packs of deth knights in Dead End. During the short battle, my damage at one point was displayed as 812, but my champion Tula only had 46 out of 623 health at this point and this was before using any vi potions.
I couldn't reproduce either of these issues. :(
Phoenix wrote:All the puzzles seamed to work as expected.
That's good to hear. :)
Phoenix wrote:While in the black flame section of the DDD, I got surrounded and my champion was spinning like a top from the attacks. This made it impossible to direct attacks toward a single creature. I'm not sure how this one could be addressed. The shift to face the attacker doesn't seem to be as quick in other engines.
I'm not sure what, if anything, to do about this one, either. I'll keep it in mind, anyway...
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:In the path of neta, just before the ring of poison are a set of stairs leading up to a skeleton ( level 3 ) behind two doors. The outer door is open here but closed in other varients.
Sophia wrote:The door worked properly for me. I looked it in ESB and compared it to the version in CSBwin and it looks exactly the same-- the door starts closed and gets closed if you opened it every time you enter the DDD.
This outer door has always been closed to me in every game that I have played on the Atari ST, Steem, and CSBWin. I have never seen it open and opening it is on the top of my list of things I don't know about CSB. That's why I noted it. This is the first time it's ever been open to me as I don't know how to trigger its opening.

Phoenix wrote:The climb down option of the rope neither drains stamina nor generates any experience. I currently play using a single champion, so I don't use bows or thrown weapons. This means I have to train to boost ninja, and the rope action produces the highest amount of ninja experience.
Sophia wrote:It drains stamina and generates experience, but only if there is a pit. Using stamina and giving experience when there wasn't actually anything to climb was (in my opinion) a bug in DM, so DSB doesn't work that way.
So you're saying that Archmasters should avoid your engine. Look, I understand that this is your engine and you have every right to say and implement things the way you choose, but to me DM and CSB are DM and CSB with all the bugs, quirks, and deficits. All you are doing is saying that you cannot play a game DM/CSB true to its original on DSB. We had this same discussion about stats, and you graciously added a flag that, while not exactly true to the original, it did provide an outcome that is possible to achieve with the original and in less time.

Now think of it this way, does what you have done prevented anyone from making a custom object that when used drains stamina and adds hidden skill expirience to a champion. If not, then why can't the ropes in the DM/CSB dungeons be replaced with one that implement that function. This way the "bug" is localized and preserves the original expirience. I've never though of the action away from a pit as anything more than that of a boxer skipping rope.
Phoenix wrote:The wall decoration of some switches and slime outlets are inverted in the path of dain.
Sophia wrote:What do you mean inverted?
Starting from the floor, the slime outlet wall tile in blocks is 2-1-2-1 with the outlet on the top of the first 1 block.
DSB is 1-2-1-2 with the outlet on the top of the first 1 block.

ST/CSBWin
-------*-------
___|____|___
-------- -------
|____| |____|

DSB
----------------
|____| |____|
-------*-------
___|____|___
---------------

I don't have an image host, so how would I upload screenshots here?