DM & CSB in DSB fix thread

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: DM & CSB in DSB fix thread

Post by Sophia »

Phoenix wrote:So you're saying that Archmasters should avoid your engine. Look, I understand that this is your engine and you have every right to say and implement things the way you choose, but to me DM and CSB are DM and CSB with all the bugs, quirks, and deficits. All you are doing is saying that you cannot play a game DM/CSB true to its original on DSB. We had this same discussion about stats, and you graciously added a flag that, while not exactly true to the original, it did provide an outcome that is possible to achieve with the original and in less time.
No, I'm not saying that at all, and I think you know that I'm not saying that. I'd appreciate it if you would take into account that I've been pretty accommodating so far and give me the benefit of the doubt. I'm a solo developer doing this in my spare time, and I'm doing the best I can.

The fact is, DSB is never going to be a completely 100% accurate port, and that isn't my goal anyway. I'm trying to get very close, of course, but as it happens, I have addressed numerous "bugs, quirks, and deficits" in the original DM/CSB-- fixing anti-fire being useless against fireballs, allowing drinking directly from fountains, improved handling of thrown objects and ammunition, a lot more keyboard shortcuts being available, and so on-- and I don't think anyone has too much of an issue with any of them. So, at the time, I figured this was just another minor bug I'd fix and be on my way.

Anyway, as for the issue at hand, first, we'll need to make some changes to base/methods.lua.
I'll include the changes in DSB 0.65 but if you don't want to wait, then download this file, rename it to methods.lua, and replace DSB's default base/methods.lua with the one you just downloaded.

Then open csb/objects.lua (or whatever dungeon you want to modify) and add the following two lines at the bottom (or wherever):

Code: Select all

obj.flask_bro.ignore_power = true
obj.rope.always_give_xp = true
This will make the rope and the bro potion both work like you expect.
Phoenix wrote:Starting from the floor, the slime outlet wall tile in blocks is 2-1-2-1 with the outlet on the top of the first 1 block.
DSB is 1-2-1-2 with the outlet on the top of the first 1 block.
That's just because DSB uses the DM 3.x wall graphics instead of the DM 2.x wall graphics like CSBwin, so a few objects are aligned differently to match the different brick pattern.
Phoenix wrote:I don't have an image host, so how would I upload screenshots here?
http://www.imgur.com/
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Sophia wrote:No, I'm not saying that at all, and I think you know that I'm not saying that. I'd appreciate it if you would take into account that I've been pretty accommodating so far and give me the benefit of the doubt. I'm a solo developer doing this in my spare time, and I'm doing the best I can.
I'm sorry. I have a bad habit of descending into hyperbole to get my point across. The fact is, I'm very impressed with DSB so far, and I'm eagerly awaiting to play some custom dungeons in it. You've done a terriffic job. Lua script has so much potential and many of my favorite games utilize it. I'm also not in any way trying to rush you to do or fix things.
Sophia wrote:The fact is, DSB is never going to be a completely 100% accurate port, and that isn't my goal anyway. I'm trying to get very close, of course, but as it happens, I have addressed numerous "bugs, quirks, and deficits" in the original DM/CSB-- fixing anti-fire being useless against fireballs, allowing drinking directly from fountains, improved handling of thrown objects and ammunition, a lot more keyboard shortcuts being available, and so on-- and I don't think anyone has too much of an issue with any of them. So, at the time, I figured this was just another minor bug I'd fix and be on my way.
The thing with the rope is that it that it generates the most experience for the ninja class. Its value becomes greater once you reach the master levels. Shooting and thowing items just doesn't generate enough experience and this makes leveling take forever. I wasn't aware that anti-fire was useless against fireballs. I do know that unless your anti-fire is above 75 it doesn't reduce damage that much.

On the topic of port accuracy, that's your prerogative, but you should at the very least document how DSB differs from the original DM/CSB. Sort of like when TV broadcasters indicate when a film has been modified for content or length. You could even make this a selling point for why players might prefer your version over the other engines.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Phoenix wrote:I'm very impressed with DSB so far
Thank you. :)
Phoenix wrote:I wasn't aware that anti-fire was useless against fireballs.
It was (at least in the Atari ST version) due to a bug in the C compiler that FTL used.
Phoenix wrote:you should at the very least document how DSB differs from the original DM/CSB
The intentional differences are documented in the Lua code itself; I acknowledge this isn't as good as a centralized list, but at least it is documented somewhere. The unintentional differences are, of course, not documented anywhere... because we haven't found them yet. :)
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

Hi

I'm getting started on a playthrough of dsbcsb060 in which the dungeon.lua has date 25/11/2013 and CRC 54069D03 (I *think* this is the most uptodate version...)

Will document stuff that seems out of whack as I go.

At 8,19,27 the wallwriting [3141] should be on the east side

At 8,31,11 I believe the pressure plate [3322] should only respond to the party (or maybe party/item)

At 8,10,34 the switch [3043] should toggle door [3049]

At 7,29,10 only one of 2925 .. 2933 should make a click noise
Friends don't let friends eat worm round
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Thank you for the reports!

As you may know, DSB CSB is an automatic conversion of Atari ST's CSB, with a few hacks to make the DM mechanics conform to how DSB normally works. As such, all of these issues (except possibly the excessively noisy pressure plate at 7,29,10; I'm not sure how the ST handled sound) are just faithful conversions of the original Atari ST CSB dungeon. The wall writing facing the wrong way, non-functional button, etc. were all in the original ST version.

Whether or not these issues should be fixed is another matter, but they aren't directly problems with DSB or the converter and there is really nothing I can do in my automatic converter to fix them. They'd have to be fixed by editing the finished product in ESB as normal, and I'd rather not do that until I'm 100% sure the converted dungeon won't need to be re-generated.