CSB + Magic Map

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

CSB + Magic Map

Post by Sophia »

A lurking DSB user by the name of "unskilledkite" (who is definitely not unskilled, it would seem!) has made an implementation of the magic map in DSB.
Grab a version of CSB with a magic map here and try it out. :D

We're currently working to clean up the code and make it an importable archetype, so that other dungeons can easily insert magic maps. :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: CSB + Magic Map

Post by Gambit37 »

Hey, that's cool. I was just thinking about this after I read about the Subrenderers on the wiki. Presumably the code could be adapted for a full screen map too.....?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Got started, found the vexing vexirk, he launched poison at me and i got this error:

Code: Select all

Lua function poision_desven.on_impact: base/damage.lua:377: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'range' (a nil value)
I totally forgot to even view the magic map, oops.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Gambit37 wrote:Got started, found the vexing vexirk, he launched poison at me and i got this error
Yes, this is a known issue in 0.46. A fix is here:
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 53&t=28867
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ah right, thanks :)
The magic map seems to work fine, I didn't have any problems with: I cast all the spells and they all worked. Sweet :)
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Gambit37 wrote:Hey, that's cool. I was just thinking about this after I read about the Subrenderers on the wiki. Presumably the code could be adapted for a full screen map too.....?
I made one a long time ago. If you still need it and I can get my hands on the code, you're welcome to it. Offer stands for anyone else as well.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I'd certainly like to take a look at it! If only to increase my LUA/DSB framework knowledge! I'll PM you my ingenious hotmail address..
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I made one too, but it certainly isn't anything like Parallax or Skilledkite's ones.
What Is Your Quest ?
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Sent. Also, I took a look at it last night out of curiosity, and realized I coded it three years ago. At this point it's pretty obvious I'm never going to put it in any custom dungeon beyond the DSB test dungeon I tested it in on my machine. Is there a way it could be uploaded somewhere in an abandoned DSB resources type of space where others might pick it up and use it?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

How large is it? If it's small enough send it to me and I can host it through the DM.com space. If it's too large to send, put it up on a temporary file space and I can download it then make it available :) Either the custom dungeon resopurces, or a resources page Sophia makes here.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

There are DSB resources here: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 53&t=26508

I could just add it to that list. :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Elsewhere, Sophia wrote:We're working on making the magic map into an importable archetype
Was this ever achieved?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I saw a shiny thing and never got back to it. ;) :(
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I was thinking about having a go at making the CSB magic map. Thought I'd check the forum first, and lo-and-behold, you clever people did it years ago! I'd totally forgotten all this!

Was any further progress made on the magic map (Sophia, you mentioned "we are cleaning it up")?

If not, I'll have a go at sorting that out... :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've found that ESB can't open a dungeon which has the magic map as an imported arch.

ESB complains about dsb_bitmap_height being an undefined global (nil value). That function is used in the map function setup_mapparts() which is used to create all the small tiles from the larger tile image.

I'm not sure how to fix this?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I totally forgot about wrapping that stuff in "if (not esb_typecheck) then"... all works fine now.

The Magic Map seems pretty complete. There are a few bugs with positional stuff that need correcting (objects aren't rendered on the correct subtiles) which I can fix. But I'm not sure that it's possible to make this a completely self contained arch because the spells and conditions need to go in the startup manifest. Is there any way around that?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I've never actually tried adding a spell inside of an importable archetype... this could be fun. :mrgreen:

If it won't work, unfortunately, there's no real way around having to put that stuff in the startup files. Maybe this is what did me in last time! I don't remember.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Heh, well I think adding a couple of lines to the startup.lua is reasonable for more complex archs. I don't have an issue with that.

Another thing I noticed with the magic map is that the spell durations seem way off. I've managed to get a local copy of CSB Amiga running on WinUAE to time the durations so that we can update these to be a bit more accurate. I'll report back when I have more info.