question about randomness in LUA

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
kellyklutz
Novice

question about randomness in LUA

Post by kellyklutz »

Hallo there,

I was wondering how to create the following in LUA:
There is this helm in conflux that gives random messages at random intervals. How would one create such an item with LUA ?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: question about randomness in LUA

Post by Sophia »

The usual method for randomness in DSB is dsb_rand(min, max).
So, if you want to generate a random number between 1 and 5 inclusive, the function call dsb_rand(1, 5) will be what you want.

By printing out a random index of an array, you can use this to produce random messages.
The minimum is 1, because Lua arrays start at 1. The maximum is the number of elements in the array, expressed in Lua with the # operator.

Code: Select all

random_messages = {
   "HELLO THERE.",
   "THIS IS A RANDOM MESSAGE.",
   "THIS IS A DIFFERENT RANDOM MESSAGE."
}

function random_message()
   dsb_write(system_color, random_messages[dsb_rand(1, #random_messages)])
end
kellyklutz
Novice

Post by kellyklutz »

Thanks sophia I'll try it out.
This will randomly create one message? ... or will it continu to create them (but how do I control the time in which it creates them / the intervals?)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

That will create one message.

In order to create further messages, some sort of custom message handler and a dsb_msg with a random delay will be the kind of thing you want. However, there are multiple ways to do it so it's difficult for me to suggest one absolutely "correct" approach. In base/msg_handlers.lua there are numerous examples of writing message handlers, so that might be a useful file to look into.

Here is simple code for a message loop. Note that it is missing important features like any way to deactivate it or, if it's to be used as an item, detect if the item is equipped/worn/whatever, but it should provide a good basis for your experimentation.

Code: Select all

function message_loop(id, data)
   dsb_write(system_color, "MESSAGE RECEIVED.")
   dsb_msg(dsb_rand(5, 60), id, M_NEXTTICK, 0)
end

simple_looping_msg_handler = {
   [M_NEXTTICK] = message_loop
}
Now, all you have to do is set the msg_handler of whatever archetype you want to use as your looping message generator to simple_looping_msg_handler in your custom dungeon's objects.lua, and send an instance of that archetype a "Next Tick" (i.e., M_NEXTTICK) message. This will start the whole loop going.

If this seems a little complex, well, that's because it kind of is, if you're just getting into DSB editing. However, it will make sense as you learn more about how messages work. :)
kellyklutz
Novice

Post by kellyklutz »

Super. I will look into it. At the moment I am doing to much things at the same time. So I'll park this little project awhile. First need to get to grips with the graphics for walls. (see other post) :D