(not a bug) Animated Missiles

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

(not a bug) Animated Missiles

Post by Gambit37 »

Noticed a bug with animated missiles: if you have a looping animation (such as a fiery fireball), the animation restarts at every sub-tile movement. This makes it impossible to have smoothly animated missiles -- can this be fixed?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: (not a bug) Animated Missiles

Post by Sophia »

Gambit37 wrote:if you have a looping animation (such as a fiery fireball), the animation restarts at every sub-tile movement.
No, it doesn't.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hmm.... OK, so I went back and looked at it again and it really did look wrong. So I properly tested it by replacing the first frame with a solid colour and you're right, that's only shown once.

I think what's happening is that the scaling and movement of the missile is simply making the animation look jerky. Any ideas how I can mitigate that? Other than creating a truly 3D engine with particles for missiles? :D :D
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

This may be one of those cases, just like the jerky movement of doors, that the basic design limitations of the DM engine show up rather prominently, and there's really nothing we can do about it-- short of a total redesign, as you said-- because that's just how it is. I think that DM (and any game engine that attempts to clone it faithfully) starts to suffer when the graphics get too nice, because the graphical limitations get rather abruptly shoved in your face. The smoothly animated fireball kind of clashes with the not-so-smoothly animated scaling as it gets more distant.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, this seems to be the case. OK, I'll simplify this sort of thing.