(not a bug) Damage adds up when hitting a wall

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Magica
Journeyman

(not a bug) Damage adds up when hitting a wall

Post by Magica »

Sophia thank you very much

I am finishing DM on RTC now and I will start testing it on DSB deeply

one thing I've noticed , try to hit the champions against the wall , in the original DM they take only 2 points damage sometimes one , but in DSB it rise until the damage become 18 point or more ..
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: (fixed) Possible bug when placing worms

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi Magica, your bug report does not relate to this thread. It gets confusing for the developer to monitor multiple bugs in one thread, so please start a new thread if you have a new bug to report. Many thanks.

Have you read the forum rules? We'd really appreciate it if you could read those. Thanks :-)
http://dungeon-master.com/forum/viewtop ... 53&t=24291
Magica
Journeyman

Post by Magica »

because I don't know if it is a bug or not .. anyway ..
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Magicka,
the damage in DSB is basically the same as in DM.. but there is shown all accumulated damage in the viewport.

Sophia liked that better, but it can be switched off to show each single damage
very much like the throwing distances of items.. can be made that it behaves more like original DM, not considering light weight as
throw-restricting
Magica
Journeyman

Post by Magica »

thats what I expected from this forum when I asked my question , I am glad I didn't start a new thread for this matter , thank you very much for your answer , it helped me alot .. :) thanks
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If someone has the same worry in future they won't see the answer though :)
Magica
Journeyman

Post by Magica »

still , it is not a bug ..
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: (not a bug) Damage adds up when hitting a wall

Post by Sophia »

I don't mind bug reports that aren't actually bugs, because sometimes they just need clarification.
I've split the thread. :D
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

@Magica: To "fix" the problem you've described (to set it to show damage like the original DM) just open the "dsb.ini" file that is in the directory you've extracted DSB to. Inside that file, there are various value you can change. You're looking for the "CumulativeDamage = 1" line... just change that 1 to a 0, and it'll behave like you expect. If it doesn't then it's a bug.

As a side note: All "CumulativeDamage" does is make it so that if you receive multiple hits within a certain time, it remembers how much you had last time, and adds the new damage on top. This is actually quite useful when you get hit by a poison cloud... in the original DM, it'd just go "1,1,1,2,1,1,2" or something like that, where DSB goes "1,2,3,5,6,7,9" for the given sequence. And that's where it gets it's name from.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Thanks for your explanation of the CumulativeDamage.
It is good to be aware of this.
IMO the "cumulative" doesn' make sense and, it is confusing. The default dsb.ini should be without it, in order to show damage as of the original DM.
I updated my dsb.ini to CumulativeDamage = 0
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

You could also think of it as "AdditiveDamage" or "DamageAccumulates"... but they all mean the same thing :P
I have to say that I disagree with you about the default state of CumulativeDamage. DSB is meant to be a DM clone, having the clone's "cool new features" turned off by default sorta defeats the purpose of having said "cool" features. But, that's my opinion.

I think that there should also be an option called something like "CumulativeDamageTimeMS" that determines how long the Cumulative effect lasts, in milliseconds (or you could make it in ticks, but then the user has to know how long 1 tick is).

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

You already have the cumulative aspect shown in the health bar.
As you mention a cumulative damage also needs another parameter to state over which time period.
Add a flag to tell wether it is a sliding period of a fixed period ( when no damage any more, will it decrease regularly or drop to 0 at the expired period )
May be there are other variants and parameters.
I do not see how this feature can improve gameplay.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

terkio wrote:I do not see how this feature can improve gameplay.
Some people like it, some don't. That's why you can turn it off. :)
Lord_BoNes wrote:I think that there should also be an option called something like "CumulativeDamageTimeMS" that determines how long the Cumulative effect lasts, in milliseconds (or you could make it in ticks, but then the user has to know how long 1 tick is).
I don't feel like bothering with the whole milliseconds thing, but specifying a delay in ticks (people can just deal with that :mrgreen: ) is a good idea. I'll add that.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Sophia wrote:
Lord_BoNes wrote:I think that there should also be an option called something like "CumulativeDamageTimeMS" that determines how long the Cumulative effect lasts, in milliseconds (or you could make it in ticks, but then the user has to know how long 1 tick is).
I don't feel like bothering with the whole milliseconds thing, but specifying a delay in ticks (people can just deal with that :mrgreen: ) is a good idea. I'll add that.
After my above post, I had an idea... you could simply change the existing "CumulativeDamage" variable to take numbers higher than 1, and that number specifying the delay length in ticks... so "CumulativeDamage = 10" means that CumulativeDamage is active, and once a character doesn't take damage for 10 ticks, the counter resets.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

That's the kind of thing that programmers would love and normal people would consider slightly insane, I'd bet. :mrgreen: