Experience/skills oddness...

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Experience/skills oddness...

Post by Gambit37 »

In the DM dungeon, I boosted Iaido's stats to use as a test character, so he has 999 in health/mana/stamina, 64 in his other six stats, and 50 in Luck.

I also boosted some of his skills, but I left his ninja levels and sub-skills at 0.

In game, when I view his skills, Ninja is reported as "Novice".

I killed a few screamers in the regen room on level 4 and he gained 4 ninja levels very quickly, rising to Artisan in a few minutes.

This all seems a bit... weird. Questions:
  • Can we explain the rapid skill increase on the combination of 0 starting skills and over-boosted initial stats?
  • Why is his in-game starting Ninja skill displayed as Novice, when all ninja related skills are 0? Shouldn't this be null until he reaches Neophyte?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Experience/skills oddness...

Post by Sophia »

Level 4 has a 2x experience multiplier, there's a further bonus when you're in combat, and if you have 999 stamina then you're not going to need to take breaks like a normal low-level character would. This would allow for some pretty fast leveling, I think, especially at low levels that don't require too much xp to begin with. Think about how fast you gain early levels when starting CSB with reincarnated champions.

As for the second thing, I'm not sure why his starting skill would be displayed as novice, unless he actually had levels in something. I just tested and a character with all skills set to 0 indeed showed no ninja ability, so that part of it at least is working properly, and the problem must be elsewhere.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Experience/skills oddness...

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh wow, I just realised he's carrying a Firestaff which adds two levels to everything! Ha ha, so sorry, you can ignore all this! 😀