Moving things in ESB once placed?

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Moving things in ESB once placed?

Post by Gambit37 »

Is there a way to move items from tile-to-tile in ESB once they've been placed?

I'd really like a way of selecting an object and then using the cursor keys to shift it from tile-to-tile, or drag-and-drop with the mouse.

I know there's cut-and-paste, but I've found it to be buggy and unreliable. (For example, sometimes cut/pasted items just don't show up in the dungeon, even though they are present in ESB. And then they have to be deleted and re-created, which is a pain if it's something complex.)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Moving things in ESB once placed?

Post by Sophia »

Any drag-drop or shifting around would use the same underlying mechanism as cut-and-paste, so if there's a problem with cut-and-paste, that needs to be addressed first, not simply dismissed as "buggy and unreliable."

I've never once had a problem with it. If you can give me some instructions as to how to reproduce the issue you're seeing, then I'll be able to fix it.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, I'll try and get a reproducible test-case and report back.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Here's a reproducible case using DM dungeon [2013:10:01:14:11]
  1. Open the DM dungeon in ESB
  2. Add any champion to the Rotser for testing
  3. Go to level 4 (treasure stores), set level 's light level to 100
  4. Find the moveable wall at 4,30,27
  5. Set a new party-start near here for testing
  6. Hover over 4,30,27, then press X and then right click the wall and select Cut
  7. Switch to Draw mode, clear the newly drawn solid wall back to an empty tile
  8. Reposition mouse at 4,30,27 then right click and select Paste
  9. Save the file and play
  10. The moveable wall is missing.
  11. If you perform the necessary switch combinations in this room and eventually toggle the missing wall, it will re-appear
EDIT: If I leave it out step # 7, it seems to work correctly.

I can see now that I've been working under the mistaken belief that moveable walls need an empty tile before they're placed. Clearly that's not required. However, why does clearing the wall to an empty tile before re-pasting the moveable wall cause display/state issues in game?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Ok, thanks. I understand what's wrong now.

A "movable wall" in DSB is really more of a wall controller than a wall in itself. It's just an ordinary flooritem. If you want the tile to be a wall, it needs to actually be a wall. Placing a "movable wall" on an empty tile is out of sync, and it won't actually work properly until the wall has been toggled to open (which will appear to do nothing, because the tile is already open) and then shut again.

Normally, ESB takes care of all of this for you, but copy-pasting doesn't run any of the usual object placement code. Fortunately, it's also much easier to fix than deleting and re-creating the wall: just right click, check inactive, close the window, right click it again, uncheck inactive, and close the window. This puts it back into sync just like toggling the switch does during play.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, cool, thanks for clearing that up, I thought I was going a bit bonkers!

So does this mean you could add a way to move things around by nudging it around with the arrow keys, hint hint, :D