So, tell us about yourself...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Re: So, tell us about yourself...

Post by Trantor »

Welcome to the forums oh_brother! I fully understand your feelings, I was overwhelmed with joy when I first visited these boards! We will be glad to answer any questions about DM and CSB if you really do play them again (hint: you should! :wink:).

There are basically three clones out there you can use to replay DM and CSB:

- CSBwin (by Paul Stevens): A direct port of the original Atari ST source code. If you want to replay the games exactly as they were on the ST, this is the clone for you.

- Return to Chaos (by George Gilbert): Completely new code that was written in an attempt to match the original as good as possible. It features some nice new additions like higher-resolution graphics and the monster step sounds that were missing in the ST version (and thus, in CSBWin as well), but the damage and experience formulas are a little off. Also, monster groups can split and regroup. If you haven't played the game for a long time, you will hardly notice the differences, though.

- Dungeon strikes back (by Sophia): A faithful adaptation of the original source code that is actually improved. Some stuff in the original code didn't make sense or were obviously buggy, and DSB corrects these. However, I am not quite sure if both DM and CSB are 100% playable for DSB.

There is also DM Java that recreates the game in Java. It comes with a totally different dungeon and altered graphics, though; personally, I never liked it, but others seem to think highly of it.

So, if you want to have the closest possible experience to the ST, go for CSBWin. But really, RTC and DSB are great, too. Hope you enjoy your time here!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Wow, great, another DManiac! Hello, Enda! (I really thought it's a girl's name for the first time... don't worry, I had the same problem here, I'm a man too, but some people here thought Jan was a girl's name... :D )
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I must admit I've never heard the name Enda before, I misread it as "Edna" -- now that is a girl's name ;-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ooh, another new person! Welcome to the forums!

I see you've already made yourself at home with some cool posts, so gkeep it up :)
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, the whole Enda/Edna thing causes lots of problems, especially at work when I contact non-Irish people via email. Sometimes peoples spell-checkers even auto-correct it to Edna.

Thanks for the advice Trantor, I will definitely play them again, starting with CSBwin. Not much time at the moment, but my girlfriend is going away for a few weeks next month so I will probably eat junk food and play DM a lot! So expect lots of questions in the relevant forums in the coming weeks!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

oh_brother wrote:but my girlfriend is going away for a few weeks next month so I will probably eat junk food and play DM a lot
LOL, another shared experience! :roll:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe welcome to the forum :D. We will love to hear your stories of how many times you get yourself killed in stupid ways once you start CSB again (please do! :twisted:). These games are all so cool, we've all done similar/the same things in our own ways (so how many times have you killed yourself by accidentally Fireballing the wall?), so rest assured if you think you did something unbelievably stupid, one of us may have got there first ;). Looking forward to hearing of your times in DM :D.

Post by Narjhan »

Hi there Guigui and brother ^^ Nice to see another countryman up here and another fellow RPGer :)
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Gambit37 wrote:Oh brother, where art thou? Well Ireland, obviously! Welcome to our little shared insanity :-)
Well Gambit, he might have been 'Done to the River to Pray' if he is a 'Man of Constant Sorrow' or some such thing. :P

Just had some time to check in on the forum. Saw a few new folks have come onboard.
Good to see the same excitement coming from them that I felt, when I found this forum.

DM. What a great game... STILL.
"Wuuf's big brother"
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

MasterWuuf wrote: Well Gambit, he might have been 'Done to the River to Pray' if he is a 'Man of Constant Sorrow' or some such thing. :P
Ha ha, although I realised I misspelled the name, it should have been O Brother instead of Oh Brother. But as Ameena pointed out "oh" is a rune in DM, so I can pretend I made the mistake on purpose and that it was a cunning reference to my favourite game :lol:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As a player in my game, I am sure you will see many such examples of stupidity redressed as brilliance. If I am lucky, you just won't realise you've seen them!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

oh_brother wrote:
MasterWuuf wrote: Well Gambit, he might have been 'Done to the River to Pray' if he is a 'Man of Constant Sorrow' or some such thing. :P
Ha ha, although I realised I misspelled the name, it should have been O Brother instead of Oh Brother. But as Ameena pointed out "oh" is a rune in DM, so I can pretend I made the mistake on purpose and that it was a cunning reference to my favourite game :lol:
Considering the fact that I also misspelled DOWN (Done) grrrr, I guess I can't complain about who you misspelliate words. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NrTaxj5 ... L&index=29
"Wuuf's big brother"
deebom
Neophyte

Post by deebom »

Hi there, I stumbled upon this site quite by accident. I grew up playing DM on My 520 FST, then upgraded to a 1040 STE with 4 meg. I still have and use the STE. (it's still the best version of Cubase.) I also Have my Original Dm and Chaos strikes back in the boxes. I cant get This new version to run, but hope to soon figure it out. it's great that this site exists and I will be posting a lot. Cheers. Deebom.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome! Hopefully there should be some threads to help with any installation issues, or check out the encyclopaedia website!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Welcome indeed! I hope you enjoy your stay here, and feel free to ask any questions you might have - we are a friendly bunch. :)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Welcome, Deebom! :D Nice to see someone with his Atari still working! :)
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

Last I saw our Atari it was being sent of the Museum or some computer collector. I think it still worked too. It had been lying in the bottom of a cupboard at my parents home for decades.

[Edit] ...And welcome Deebom.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Last time I played with an atari my friend kept having to press the top of it down to stop it from bombing!
ChadYJ92
Neophyte

Post by ChadYJ92 »

Hi, my name is Chad. I hail from the great American state of Kansas (sarcasm).

I remember playing Dungeon Master many, many years ago on my parents' Apple IIGS when I was a kid. I was so terrified of the first mummy you encounter in the game that I think I was too afraid to play the game for about a year after that.

I've recently gotten back into it and I've figured out how to make the games work with Windows. I've played the original DM game and gotten through several levels but I am stuck at the level with a bunch of fireballs and teleporters, I think it might be level 6? I've also been playing Skullkeep and I've almost beaten that game.

I'm really hoping to find a certain Dungeon Master game but have had no luck so far. This particular game came bundled with the original Dungeon Master game that I played on the IIGS. It must have been 1987 (I believe that is when the first game was released...) and I remember that when you are standing outside the gate waiting to go into the dungeon you could either press the green button to start the original game or you could press the red button to go to another dungeon. My memory might be a bit off as it's been ~20 years, it's possible that the red button may have brought up a list of saved games and that the dungeon I'm thinking of might have been on another Dungeon Master 3.5" disc.

The only thing I really remember about that particular dungeon is that it was relatively small and you started off with fairly advanced characters, armor and weapons. I also remember fighting a dragon. I'm pretty sure that it is not Return to Chaos, IIRC in RTC you start off in a room fighting a bunch of re-spawning worms, right? I'm also pretty sure that it is not one of the later games, I know that I played this particular game in the '80s.

Anyway, I'm going to check out the rest of the forums here to see if I can find what I am looking for, but if anyone knows what I am talking about please let me know! Thanks!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

You're correct that the red button was designed to reload a saved game. The small dungeon you're thinking of is probably the "Kid Dungeon," which, incidentally, was included only with Apple IIGs version of Dungeon Master.

The "worm dungeon" you're thinking of is called Chaos Strikes Back. Return to Chaos is a fan-made clone of DM with an editor and whatnot, designed to run on modern computers and has nothing to do with the original DM. Another fan-made DM clone (there are actually quite a few, we're quite the eager fanbase) that you might be interested in if you want an authentic experience is called CSBwin. I've gone and made a DM clone myself, too. Trantor's post at the top of this page is a good breakdown of the various game engines you might want to look into.

Welcome to the forum. :)
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

ChadYJ92: Are you really from Kansas? My home state (Coffeyville and Fredonia, especially).

Welcome to the forum.
"Wuuf's big brother"
ChadYJ92
Neophyte

Post by ChadYJ92 »

Thanks for the welcomes.
Sophia wrote:Trantor's post at the top of this page is a good breakdown of the various game engines you might want to look into.
I will definitely check it out.

I'm kinda sad that the kid's dungeon isn't available, the reason I loved it was because you didn't have to work to get all the cool stuff. :D
MasterWuuf wrote:ChadYJ92: Are you really from Kansas? My home state (Coffeyville and Fredonia, especially).
I was born in Nebraska but moved to Kansas when I was 9, so I consider Kansas my home state.

This is where I currently reside:
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg22 ... 2/Home.jpg
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

ChadYJ92 wrote:I'm kinda sad that the kid's dungeon isn't available, the reason I loved it was because you didn't have to work to get all the cool stuff. :D
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/1206

It originally only came with the IIGS version but it has been extracted since then, of course. You can play it in CSBwin. :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums! I think your fellow Americans have answered all the questions, so I'll just say check out the custum dungeon thread. There is a list of dungeon there, and anything in bold for the particular engine are recreations of original dungeon. So you can play Theron's quest (kinda) too!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Hello, Chad, and welcome! :D

Mmmm... Kansas... Kansas is one of the few US states I've been to, because my friend studied there (in Lawrence) and invited me there for a few weeks - it was back in 2006 or 2007. It was a very positive experience for me (but maybe also because Lawrence is a university city with a lot of students and "independent" people). Being in a vast prairie was a very interesting thing for someone from Central Europe. :P
ChadYJ92 wrote:I am stuck at the level with a bunch of fireballs and teleporters,
Is it a large arena with ghosts? If yes, then check walls for hidden buttons (not obligatory but reveals lots of treasures), and
Spoiler
search the floor for a key (it's grey, so it's easily overlooked - close to the wooden door that leads nowhere).
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ooh, welcome yet-another-newcomer :D.
It sounds like the level you're stuck on is Level 8 (big open area with ghosts, mummies, skellies, thieves), which some people call Level 7 (it depends on whether you consider the Hall of Champions to be "Level 1" or "Level 0"). As mentioned by Jan, have a poke around for hidden stuff, buttons etc. Then again, most of the levels contain Fireballs and teleporters, so it might well be a different level you're on - if the description we've given doesn't fit with where you are, what are the monsters you've encountered on that level? We can work it out from there :).
And regarding your mention of the "starting-in-the-dark-surrounded-by-worms" game, that was, as Sophia already mentioned, "Chaos Strikes Back", sort of a sequel to DM that came out erm...some time not too long after it. Then there was DM2 which came out in around '95-ish. Play it once you've managed to complete DM (you can take your party from DM through into CSB, they keep all their skills and stuff but none of their inventory...well that would be just plain cheating, wouldn't it? ;)), and don't worry about how many times you get killed/lost/eaten/blown up/fall down pits etc - of all the ingenious ways to mess things up and die spectacularly, I think between us we've all managed to get them all covered but if you have any new embarrassing stories we love to hear them :D.
And that's without getting you started on the various custom dungeons that people have made ;).
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Hi Chad, welcome to the forums! Enjoy your stay here, look around the forum, feel free to ask any questions, and play lots and lots of DM. :D
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

MasterWuuf wrote:ChadYJ92: Are you really from Kansas? My home state (Coffeyville and Fredonia, especially).
I was born in Nebraska but moved to Kansas when I was 9, so I consider Kansas my home state.

This is where I currently reside:
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg22 ... 2/Home.jpg[/quote]

Ever been to Beto Junction? You're getting close to some ground I covered a lot, when I was young.

Where did you start out, in Nebraska?
"Wuuf's big brother"
NaughtyMoose
Neophyte

Post by NaughtyMoose »

Hello everybody,

I recently found this forum while trying to find infos about the best way to run DM on my PC(which i found thanks to you :) ). I've been happily surprised to find such a great community around my old favourite game... Guys (and girls), you made my week!
After reading a few threads here and there on the forum, i thought that it was time to introduce myself and start to take part in the discussions.

So here i go:

My real name is Christophe but you can call me Moose... I'm a 35 years old belgian who has been playing on micros since i received my c64 24 years ago... I then bought an A500 followed by an A1200 and finally a PC. As you can guess, my favourite A500 game was DM. Man, i've been playing it a lot. I had even written my own spells reference guide and also little background stories to add depth to my characters...

Beside that, i'm a huge fan of fantasy and sci-fi. I like to write fantasy stories, to read fantasy (Tad Williams, Robin Hobb, Weiss&Hickman, Gemmel,...) and to play it (video games, fighting fantasy and paper&dice). When it comes to TV, i'm more of a sci-fi guy, especially Star-Trek (all of them except the last movie) and Battlestar Galactica.

I've always been a huge video games fan eventhough i must admit that i'm not too much a fan of the cartoonish style that seems to spread all over the PRG world... I prefer the looks of Diablo 1 & 2 than Torchlight and i prefer DM look over a World of W(alt Disney)arcraft, i'm also pretty scared about what the're doing to Diablo 3. But, strangely, i prefer Oblivion and Fallout 3 than their previous episods.
Anyway, i feel more and more attracted by older games like DM (of course), quake 1&2, Doom 1&2, Heretic, Hexen, Diablo2 and a lot of Amiga-arcade emulated games like Moonstone or Black Tiger.

IRL, i work in an office, doing some boring repetitive finance stuff the whole day. In the evenings and the week-ends, with my wife, we try to escape as much as we can with fantasy, games and sci-fi. I'm also interested in jazz, astronomy and learning coding languages (c++, php, java,...).

Voilà, that's pretty much me in a nutshell :)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Welcome to the forums, you naughty moose! (Is that name by any chance an obscure reference to Fawlty Towers?)

It was also a surprise for me to find such an active DM community, I just started searching for it on Google one day and then to my surprise stumbled across this place!

Weiss and Hickman - I am also a big fan. Well, I have not read anything for ages, but the first trilogy and the twins trilogy were possibly my favourite fantasy books. I quite like Gemmel's stuff too.