So, tell us about yourself...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
boyflea
Expert

Re: So, tell us about yourself...

Post by boyflea »

Hey, loric - and welcome one and all.
I wonder how many have joined since my last survey: DM celebrates 30 years this year and it is terrific to see members still trickle into these forums, :).

If I may ask, if you have been lurking loric, what prompted you to pipe up?
Always keen to know what draws people here and what could help and compel others to join in.
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Heya, welcome to the forum :D. So, have you played DM much? Did you play it "back in the day" like a lot of us did or did you discover it more recently?
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Hello, Loric, and welcome (unofficially :) )!
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Shyreman
Neophyte

Post by Shyreman »

Hi,
I am Mark Anthony Taylor, developer of Hyperverse.

Hyperverse features full 3D graphics, physics and movement. It has a built in WYSIWYG editor, as shown in the image. All objects, including the dungeon geometry are fully scriptable.

http://www.shyreman.com/images/demo.hv.1.jpg
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Hi Shyreman!
And how did you get into Dungeon Master? ;)
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hi, Shyreman, welcome to the forum :). I hope you've played DM or something and aren't just here to advertise your stuff ;).

Post by margarette123 »

An avid fan of games since 2000.
Hi, I am Margarette and I am from Florida. I have always been a fan of adventure, gore, Sims games.
A web developer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hi, welcome to the forum :). How did you discover DM? Have you played it yet or just stumbled upon our forum and want to learn more?
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Welcome margarette.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Hi Margarette, welcome to the forum.
keep your gor coin handy
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Post by JETENGINE »

Greetings, Margarette. I hope you find whatever you need on this forum.
Hanging by a thread.
Pres_du_Donjon
Neophyte

Post by Pres_du_Donjon »

Hi, I'm Simone from Turin, Italy. I'm 38 and I'm a huge fan of Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back since I played them back in 1991 on my Amiga 500.

Since then, I've played them countless times both on Amiga and PC with WinUae (I'm not fond of the actual PC versions).

Looking for a good editor to design my own dungeons, items and monsters, I've got this dream since 1991! :)
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Welcome to the forum Simone.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Ciao and welcome,
Pres_du_Donjon wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:55 pm ...Looking for a good editor to design my own dungeons, items and monsters, I've got this dream since 1991! :)

Great to follow your dream: for editing and creating dungeons there are several options available.
RTC was very popular and quite easy - though now unsupported, DSB is one I like a lot and there are others.

Good luck with your dream: have had a lot of fun playing other'people's dungeons thanks to this wonderful site, so look forward to playing your one one day. :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

There's also the modern Legend of Grimrock which comes with an amazing 3D editor.
Nebulus
Novice

Post by Nebulus »

Hi from Brussels!

I began with a Commodore 64 and then switched to the Atari ST. I played Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back so many time that I sometime felt it was my own house. I still have good memories of Tower of Babel, Ultima V and VI Archipelagos, Populous, Xenomorph, Damocles,... Then I bought a 286 PC to play Eye of the Beholder I, II and III, Might and Magic III, IV, V and VI. Ulima VII and VIII, Heroes of Might and Magic II, III and IV, Baldur's Gate I and II, Wizardry VII and of course Dungeon Master II,... Then I bought a PS1 to play FFVI and VII, King's Field I and II, Suikoden,... I'm also a big fan of Magic The Gathering since 1994.

But...
Every 5 years since the early 90' I'm doing DM and CSB again from scratch with a new team of 1-2-3 or 4 players and with the same pleasure. You read the list above, there are great titles but no one brought me that much pleasure.

And...
A friend and I decided to step up. We both are musicians and we decided to create a soundtrack for DM and CSB to restart it with our own music. Some atmospherical dark ambient long track especially made for this game to make the adventure more personnal and to give us memories of the game each time we'll be hearing the tunes later.

We'll, that's it for the moment. I'm glad to find this place and can't wait to walk around and discover things I never heard of.

See you around and long life to DM/CSB.
Thus Spoke Zokathra
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Heya, welcome to the forum :). From your list of games, there are several there that I've played and very much enjoyed - Might and Magic (I've also played VII and VIII but VI is my favourite), Heroes of Might and Magic III, Populous (well, I played Populous II), Utima VIII, and vaguely remember Eye of the Beholder. Have also played Baldur's Gate a bit (and finished Icewind Dale a few times). I probably don't need to mention DM/CSB/DM2 ;). I also played Stonekeep, which was a similar first-person, grid-movement-based dungeon adventure. Oh, and the Ishar trilogy, which was on the Atari and also similar to the DM/EotB-style games.

Feel free to reminisce about any games, generally chat and share stories and stuff - doesn't have to be the DM series specifically, plenty of us have played all those kinds of games. Also some of us like tabletop stuff too, RPGs or otherwise :). If you want to learn anything about DM and its follow-ups that you might possibly have missed the first fifty times around, check out the Encyclopaedia at dmweb.free.fr - pretty much every kind of DM-related documentation ever has been stored there, free for the looking :).
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Hello Nebulus. Welcome to the forum.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Welcome Nebulus

It appears we had the say taste in games, I did the same thing as you did.
keep your gor coin handy
Nebulus
Novice

Post by Nebulus »

Thanks for warm welcome.

I just finished DM with my music and will begin a new adventure in CSB with my team.

That reminds me a funny little anecdote. I still have a saved game on my ST with "Frodo" (long before the movies went out) who were my solo-character game. He had 999 hit points (it appears we can't go any higher) and is Arch Master in every characteristics but don't remember what levels (is there something above Arch ?).

Anyway, a friend and I (actually the same guy with whom I made the soundtrack for the game) played a game inside the game. We both gave our saved game to the other and we had to hide the 4 Corbums somewhere in the dungeon. After more than 20 years we are both still looking for the 4th one. At least he knows where mine is but I can't remember where his is. Of course it was forbidden to drop it into the pit and forbidden as wel to put it in that corner where things disappear (just below the starting place, we never knew if it was a bug or not. I should try on the pc version). Anyway, it was very funny and even now you can try with a friend. It seems boring but it's actually not at all. Hide and seek is always funny^^

I also loved Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and much of the other stuff I saw here. I am in the gaming business but never found that much pleasure on the new games. Incredible graphics are not the first thing that I'm looking for in a game. I want it to be captivating. Morrowind and Skyrim were quite interesting and I hope The Elder Scrolls VI will be cool as wel. Divinity Original Sin (made in Belgium btw) seems very incredible as wel. I should try it, at least for patriotism^^

Wel, long life to Dungeon Master and to all of you.
Thus Spoke Zokathra
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Haha that's cool, the hide-and-seek thing :D. I don't know of anyone who's ever mentioned doing anything similar but it sounds really fun. You're right about Archmaster being the highest skill level, btw.

And I'm similarly looking forward to the sixth Elder Scrolls game but hoping it's gonna be good - Skyrim was fun but ugh, the UI...:P. Morrowind remains my favourite Elder Scrolls game, not just because of the UI (which was decent - hey, you had an actual image-based inventory with a "paper doll" and it was on the same screen as the map, skills, and stats!), but I dunno, the world seemed so much bigger. And maybe slightly because of being able to exploit the way spellmaking and enchanting worked to give myself super-jump and mega-regen and stuff :D.
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

We both gave our saved game to the other and we had to hide the 4 Corbums somewhere in the dungeon.
That is a great idea.

We should try it. If someone wants to make such a dungeon
for the rest of us to try using CSBwin, then I could encipher the
savegame and provide a special copy of CSBwin to play it.
(Much as I did for Zyx's original Conflux) This would prevent
cheating.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

That sounds pretty cool - I might give that a try, although so far I've never tried any kind of editing in CSBWin and I suppose I'd need to do that in order to give myself a maxed-out character pre-equipped with the corbums (corba?) to safely stroll around the dungeon putting them in places. But maybe I'll look into it :).
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

hide the 4 Corbums somewhere in the dungeon
Let's guess where are the best hidding places.
I think:
_The room we go through going straight ahead ignoring teleporters and spinners. Away from the said route, in this room is a good place to hide a Corbum. Is is pretty difficult to map and know all its walls and tiles.
_The room that is full choke of worms, down at the lowest level. They respawn and if you haven't visited the place you have a hell of time to clear this place. I think, a Corbum lost in this worm mess is a good hiding place.
_Here and there, pile a lot of Zo Kath Ra spells and eventually hide a Corbum under such a pile.
_The access to the death row prison. I remember it is hard to get in there, droping down from a pit hidden by a fake wall at a above level or someting.
Where are your best 4 Corbums hidding places ?
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

The room that is full choke of worms, down at the lowest level.
I never have any trouble here....Only one group of worms will
be created at a time and if you dispose of them, then no additional
worms can spawn unless you cause it yourself.

The prison is certainly one of the places I would look.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Paul Stevens wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:03 am Only one group of worms will
be created at a time and if you dispose of them, then no additional
worms can spawn unless you cause it yourself.
I think, I did cause it myself. I presume, I created groups of worms, stepping many times on an invisible silent trigger.
It happened I had more worms when going there again after a longer time.
No problem, I had enough power to butcher my way through.

Who knows of good places to hide Corbums in the Chaos Strikes Back dungeon :?:
Nebulus
Novice

Post by Nebulus »

@ Paul: I'll certainly ask a stupid question but it's possible to go back in the prison from CSB itself? We've actually never hidden a corbum in Dungeon Master, only in CSB (where it's far more funny I assume).

There are full of places where it's cool to hide stuff but you shouldn'y mention them here ;-) I think the last corbum of my friend still lies behind a false wall but the one you usually only take in one direction. So it's just against the wall of the opposite side and I think he never tried to go backward and walked on it again and again^^

You know, we also did something similar in Damocles (Mercenary 2) on Atari ST where we had to steal furnitures from here and there on every planets and choose a big house to put them all. When we were done, we both visit the house of the other. In french we say something like "it's useless, so it's essential". That's how I'd define those games in the games. In World of Warcraft we tried to climb down the tree under Darnassus... without dying and without tricks or spells. Yeah, I'm crazy I know :-p
Thus Spoke Zokathra
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

The dragon maze in the first part of Ros might be a good place, somewhere among all the false walls. Or maybe under a bunch of stuff in one of the alcoves in Supplies for the Quick - stick a shield or something similarly large on top of it and it'll be hard to notice. Hmm, where else...maybe around the pit maze in part two of Ros, where you have to keep going up and down pits to get to the Corbum Pillar. You could also leave a corbum under a pile of monster loot, say the armour of a Black Knight in a room with a lot of them (like the room where you find Executioner), and make sure the armour is piled on top of it in the right order so it doesn't look like it's been messed with. Really, anywhere you can leave a load of dead stuff lying around (Worms are another obvious option) and hide the corbum underneath it. Unless the corbums are being added via editor, in which case that may not be as much of an option ;).
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Under a bunch of stuff in one of the alcoves in Supplies for the Quick....That is a pretty nasty cache.
Another one is, under a movable wall.
A nasty one would be at the entrance of the upper KU domain. The entrance is at the end of a corridor where Death knights corner you. If i remember right the end of the corridor opens in your back while you are fighting the Death knights then closes once you've entered. A corbum on the floor of the tile of the movable wall would be pretty hard to spot, but I am not sure the Knights re-spawn for a new fight when you re-enter the KU domain.
I think there are places where you can throw something but you lose it forever because there is no access. Such a place would not be allowed to hide a corbum. I am thinking of a place with a dragon beyond pits.
Obviously, in this hide and seek game, it is not allowed to hide a corbum at a place one cannot access.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

No, you cannot go back to the prison (Where all the portraits are).

Maybe you could talk a Giggler into stealing a Corbum.
a place with a dragon beyond pits
Hmmmmm. Perhaps I am thinking of the wrong place.
There is a place on level 3 (Just below the DDD level)
where a dragon sits beyond three pits. But you can close
one of the pits: 03(11,15)