So, tell us about yourself...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

So, tell us about yourself...

Post by Gambit37 »

For old timers and newbies alike, I thought a "Who's who" thread might be useful. All the cool kids are doing it. Oh, please also add how you came to these forums. I'll start:

Hi all! Long time DM fan since 1988, it's my favourite game ever. I live in Brighton, England and I'm a semi-oldbie at 32. I've been in the DM online community for over five years, I helped create and maintain these boards, and am developing a new Dungeon Master website about the history and development of the game. I am passionate about films. I enjoy cycling, reading, eating and beavers. I smell faintly of wee.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Hola! I am 26 and have been a DM fan since I worked out how to use a mouse. I live in the steel city, Sheffield, and am a proud Yorkshireman. I have been contributing to these boards for nearly three years and have created three additional dungeons (currently working on a fourth.) I also like running around the dungeon at high speed and hold the DM race record.

My hobbies include cycling (was a pro mechanic), hifi, drinking and also beavers. And astronomy, playing darts and lots of other sports. I have an avid interest in local history and hope to produce a website of the fascinating area in which I live.

I studied physics at the University of York and had ambitions of using this knowledge in the cycling industry to design frames and suspension systems. I also studied environmental physics which forms another one of my interests, as does meteorology.

Currently my plans have come to a bit of a halt due to illness: I have an interesting and curious condition called 'pheochromocytoma' which I hope to be cured of soon. So I spend my days mostly sleeping and playing DM!

If anyone has any queries on cycling, design or suspension systems and bike components, drop me a line!

Below is my brother Dave, and I, on the right:

Last edited by PaulH on Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DaveTheMiller
Apprentice

Post by DaveTheMiller »

Hi everyone! I'm a DM fan back from the ST days and I am happily amazed that the game is still popular and has a hardcore base of fans.
I don't think any game of similar format has come close to DM or CSB even though many have tried.
Favourite DM character is Chani, maybe thats sad but whoever she is based on must be pretty hot! Also everytime she has been on my team I noticed she gains levels very quickly and was always the last to die when I got in a spot of bother.
I currently live in Grantham in the UK, I am hoping to join the TA at our Royal Logistics Corps centre just down the road.
I love to read and write, I hope to publish some of my film work and novels one day, thats if I can be arsed to finish them I am great at starting new projects then abandoning them.
I like to cycle, to keep in shapeand have been training hard for 6 months to get prepared for the army life. Even if it is only at weekends.
I have a pet apple called Boris and I drink Hai karate.
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

Um, hi. I grew up on DM, putting me (I think) right in the middle between you old people and the younger generation like Antman. My birthday is next week. I am going to be 21. I live in Texas and I have two cats who aren't named after anything particularly geeky (nerdy, if anything), which I'm sure comes as a disappointment.

I think DM is an awesome game, one of the best-made. It gets old and you know you've seen it before, and fancier things exist, but you just can't argue with its quality, and that's why it remains popular even today. If that makes any sense. Other than DM, I play console games. Not much of a PC gamer here. I even do tabletop roleplaying.

I hope to go into publishing as my "day job" (working on applications for summer internships right now, actually) but I'd like to be a writer and/or comic book artist. I like books and comics and art and stuff. I also really enjoy cooking and I love school. I need to clean my apartment. Um ... and I dragged my boyfriend onto the forum after talking him into playing DM, which he proceeded to destroy while I putter through at a snail's pace. I have never beaten DM. The farthest I've gotten is the end of the Choose Your Door level. At my current rate I may surprass my previous record in another three months. Please, feel free to laugh at me, but if you want to throw something, throw chocolate or something. I like chocolate.

I also talk and write way too much. As you're probably noticing by now.

Hiiiiiiiiiiii.

oh and ... I forgot ... my favorite character is Wu Tse. I'm gonna draw her one of these days, just you wait and see.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Hi, my name's Tom Hatfield. No connection to the McCoy feud. I'm 27 at the time of writing this. I've been described as a Renaissance man. My hobbies are extensive, including but not limited to: drawing, writing, programming, listening to and creating various types music, walking, biking, campfires, roleplaying, computer gaming, cooking, solving logic problems, and hanging out with my best friends, whom I've known for about 15 years. I've lived in Elkhart for the better part of my life, say 22 years altogether, but I was born in Three Rivers, Michigan.

I was an Air Force recruit once upon a time. I've worked mostly restaurant jobs, but I really want something engaging like graphical arts and maybe programming part-time. What I lack in social skills is resolved in other qualities. I'm a terrible conversationalist unless the topic interests me, at which point it's hard to shut me up. I'm an independent voter. I hate George Bush (both of them) and everything they've done to this country.

I was drawn to Dungeon Master because it's fantasy, and when you're young anything fantasy has a certain appeal to it. What kept me going was its blend of adventure and realism. I like the way you have to feed your party. Most people hate this sort of thing, but I'm not most gamers. (I absolutely despise Baldur's Gate, and practically everything else under the D&D license, and I'm convinced Fallout was better than Fallout 2 in every way.) I'm also among few DM fans who prefers DM2 over its predecessor, but I can't readily explain why. It has more of an open feel to it, which I enjoy.

I haven't done anything productive with my life yet. I created the DMSRP and re-arranged a couple songs from DM-SNES, which most of you know. I also maintain a public Web server. Anyone who's visited it in the past may be familiar with a project called Gem Krushaz, which is a four-player remake of Capcom's popular Super Puzzle Fighter franchise. It's not done yet. I suffer from severe clinical depression and social anxiety, which basically prevents me from doing anything with my free time. (Cows knows all about it.) Once I'm back on the medication, I'll finish GK as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading!

(Censored in the interest of public relations.)
Last edited by Tom Hatfield on Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hello, my name is Michael, I'm 27, I live in Aberdeen for the moment and I'm a se....wait, wrong meeting.

I'm a DM fan from waaaaaaaaay back when I first saw it on the Atari. My friend played it, and I loved the completely open interface and feel of doing anything. Unfortunately, when I played it I walked into walls all the time and threw clothes at the first creature I met, and my friend never let me play it again. I had to wait til mid teens to get an Amiga, and even then it was accident when a family friend happened to give me the game and explian why it was good. I beleive he managed to last abotu two seconds before I grabbed it out of his hands and drooled and hugged it. The friend, and a few others got into it too, and we basically had fun competing to get through, or helping each other in the weirder bits like the kings tombs/riddle rooms on six.

I never managed to play CSB then, even though I had a fully trained party that I used to boost levels on while reading or relaxing, becuase the catelogue company decided tp delete the game the month I ordered it. That really annoyed me, as I had lost my original save, and had to create a new one. That new one has Tiggy, Zed, Stamm and Wuuf, and Wuff and Tiggy had been boosted right the way up to Archmaster wizard, just to see if anythign cool happened when you got there!

I had to wait til I had my own PC not many years ago becfore playign Dm again and loving it again (the beowuuf name came abotu at that time when I also created a yahoo account and kept havign names rejected!) and also DM2 - which I got really far through instantly and never fully liked, despite some nice touches.

I happened to trawl aroudn the net looking for a copy of DM (I had borrowed my friend's PC version when I first had a PC) and also found DMute. I then found the community here and more importantly the answers to the hex questiosn that bugged me for my dungoen. I lurked, then posted, then posted ALOT, and generally got to know people and integrated in!

I only recently played CSB thanks to the efforts of Paul Stevens, thoguh actually my first successful run through was from Sphenx's file convertion to PC DM! I keep starting work on dungeons or having ideas and never finishing. I keep having ideas and starting writing things but never finishing them. I am currently hoping to change that, even if not in a professional way, with a 3 - 5 book novel series that is floating around on my hard drive and mostly in my brain.

I am also enjoying photography as a nice reason to walk aroudn and look and the world, and am currently trying to kick my life into gear. This involves looking for work that interests me, leaving the town of my birth, and wondering why I'm not in Canada right now!

I also type alot (badly) and don't say that much : ) So hello new people!!
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I'm 29 and live near Lyon in France.

I'm a DM fan since the PC version was released in 1992, even though I had met Dungeon Master before on Amiga.
Later I played CSB on Amiga with a friend and it was a great gaming experience.
I found DM2 fun to play, but far too short and the magic of DM and CSB was not there anymore.

I am the webmaster of The DM & CSB Encyclopaedia which went online on October 24, 1999 as a small site dedicated only to the PC version of DM, and grew to its current size. The forums that once were there have been merged here.

I'm still impressed by the interest and dedication that the DM series inspired to fans all over the world. I love internet for that too!

My interest in DM is still strong, even if I spend less time on it than I would like. I'm still working on future updates of my web site and I am patiently waiting for the DM Codex to learn even more things ;).
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Right, here we go...
I'm 20 and in RL I'm called Elana, but Ameena is the name I use online...the original Ameena was a centaur, the main character in a story I wrote for English at school in erm...Year 10 (so, in either the last half of '99 or the first half of 2000). After a while I realised I liked the name so much I decided I'd use it in...erm...stuff. And I also later found out that it is actually a real name. It means "loyal" in Swahili, which is cool 'cause it's one of Ameena's traits in all the stories she's in. Yes, I use the same name for my main character in all my stories/RPGs. Aren't I imaginitive? I could go into more detail about my various Ameenas but erm...yeah, not much point hehe you'd all probably die of boredom :).
Anyway, I live in the SE of England, in a town called Chatham in Kent (the original breeding ground of the Chav...help meeeeeeee). I've been to Wales once (school trip in Year 6, very cool, my friend and me are gonna go there agian later this year and see if we can find the hotel again), France a few times, and Italy once. Rome's manky, but Paris is cool :).
As for stuff that actually relates to this subject...DM was one of the many games we had on the Atari, as was CSB. I played and finished both. I'm sure I did CSB anyway - I have a definite image of myself chucking corbums across the pit...but the DM CD buggered up at some point so we couldn't play it again...until one of us found RTC, muahahahahahahahahaaa... Anyway, I like all Fantasy stuff really. I currently still play Everquest (and have done since the 20th of May 2001), but have played tons of other stuff too. My dad says no game he's played has been as good as DM, except Might and Magic VI. That's a fantastic game too :).
So what else do I do when I'm not playing computer games? Well, I'm at college atm in my second (and final) year of a BTEC National Diploma in Animal Management. Who makes up these silly long names? Pfah I dunno. Anyway, any free time I have there in which I'm not eating my lunch or going to the loo is spent in the library, on a computer, either checking my e-mail/forums or writing stories/EQ poems. Hey hmm I could write some DM poems couldn't I...anyone got any requests? :D.
Other stuff I like includes <deep breath> reading Fantasy books, writing Fantasy stories, watching films (TLK RULES!!!), doing Fantasy/animal jigsaws whilst listening (and singing along to) music (mainly soundtracks from films/TV/computer games), playing with my boys (my two ickle ratties, Comet and Nimbus), playing with my sister's boys and girls (nine girls, six boys, yes they're rats too...she also has two hamsters and a guinea-pig), watching Fantasy films, watching stuff like Farscape (well, okay, there's one more episode of the mini-series left to go but I hope they bring it back for Season Five someday /sob) as well as (British!) sitcoms like Red Dwarf, Vicar of Dibley, Fawlty Towers, blah blah, drawing TLK-related stuff for the TLK Fanart Archive, erm...oh, and doing assignments the night before they have to be handed in.
Hmm this is getting longer and longer...well there's probably some more stuff I like doing but that's probably enough for now hehe :). Oh, and if you're still reading by now, omg you're good :shock:.
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

I'm 28, I live in Paris, France. I spent 4 years in London as a kid. I got back to France shortly before DM was released and discovered the game watching my new best friend playing it on his Atari ST, and taking a few scary walks around level 2 myself...
A few years later I got an Amiga (<troll>because Amiga is so much better than Atari</troll> :wink: ) and got to play the game myself, introducing it to my younger brother at the same time.
Part of the fun was spoiled for me because I had seen so much of the game, and read so much reviews and hints and cheats about it before I really started playing it on my own. Hence my satisfaction wasn't really about beating the levels, rather about leveling up a lot ! I remember nights of casting fireballs or watching my brother casting fireballs while listening to thrash or death metal...
I also played and completed CSB with my über-powerful team of whatever-Masters.
Then around 1998 I found out about Amiga emulators for PC and played DM on WinUAE, rather than on my Amiga whose mouse was getting old.
I forgot about the game for a while, focusing on building a big website dedicated to my new favourite rock band (Chokebore from Hawaii). With the band going on a hiatus in late 2004, I found myself typing "dungeon master" in Google, to see if I could find anything better than the WinUAE version. The first link I clicked was Christophe's DM&CSB Encyclopaedia, which I found very interesting (I even learned tons of stuff my old cheat manuals didn't tell). I proceeded to download and play Paul Stevens' CSBWin version which I loved, although I missed the added graphics and sound of my good old Amiga version... Then I found out about this community and was amazed at how many people were still into this game !

To me, DM is the best game ever.

On a sidenote, I love music (I play electric guitar and drums and listen to lots of music). I love reading books and learning stuff. I love watching films.
I should spend less time on the computer.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I like candle lit dinners and walks on the beach and uhm... oh.. wait.. NVM..

DM... right. Well I got into it in 89-90 I think.. I had not idea what it was had heard nothing about it but it was cheap and was there on the shelf at the time I was buying my first Amiga.. which was an amiga 500 upgraded to 1 whole meg of ram!! woot..

Had my computer set up in the basement and had a stereo monitor I got aswell and plugged in my headphones in the dark.. dank cold basement. Perfect setting to $#!T your pants while playing DM... :D

I got instantly hooked on the game.. things like learning spells. What a unique idea!! bragging rights between my friends and I on where we had been in the game and what spells we had learned and which we had committed to memory etc. Such an odd thing.. as if we had accomplished something special. Just a game.. but it was more than that to us. It was a living fantasy. Time spent in annother world.

Anyway, shortly after I got into drawing and the cover of the game was a big inspiration to me as well. The details and light and shadow etc etc. Just mesmerised me. I had hoped to one day be that skilled.

I'm now 31 and I teach other artists how to create new worlds of their own for movies and games in 3D. Modeling and texturing is my main skill set.. I like to do digital painting as a hobbie and work on games of my own now. I got into this community in 2000 I think.. and started working on DM3.. then RTC sprouted out of there even though up till then I think it was just the starting point on George's HD. I helped anywhere I could.. eventually making up some dungeon graphics for it.. which I never did finish. I also did the intro for DMJava as well as some interface stuff.. and minor graphics in there. Then from there went on to make the Chaos.zpc site with fan fiction and character paintings.. (most of which suck I know.. but it was as good as I could do back then) and then.. I started this forum as a way to keep my lazy ass from having to go too every single website just to read all the new posts.. now I can go to one place and see it all.. ;)

anyway.. that's me in a nutshell... (could someone please let me out of this nut shell) ;)

Edit: Tempting fate...

moo
Last edited by cowsmanaut on Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Hi ! my name's Guillaume, i'm 30 and i live near Paris in France.
I discovered DM in 1989 when my one year older cousin showed me his Atari 1040 ST. I was so impressed by the graphics and sounds that I asked my parents for buying the same machine for next Christmas, and they did it (thanks mom, thanks dad !) :)
As Florent did, i completed DM with all the cheats i had read before playing it and played CSB as well with cheats i found in magazines. Then, I finished DM by myself with one character (Linflas of course) but didn't complete CSB with him. I remember penciling lots of portraits with the CSB champion tool, mostly new characters in manga style. I also made my own DM clone interface with DPaint after completing Ishar 1. Then i went on Amiga 1200 and waited for DM2 release for months, and had been extremely disappointed.. but you already read this before.
In 1991, i entered the amiga demoscene (you know cracktros becoming demos and so on...) and became a quite active soundtracking composer : i use to release xm and mp3 music as "Redribbon / Mandarine" since 1999, the year i bought my first PC (Amiga rulezl ! ;) )
And finally, i discovered RTC last (EDIT : laaaaast) year, then Christophe's and Cows' websites. Now, i'm mostly interested in DM 3D clones and custom dungeons.

Let's keep DM alive !
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow, I wasn't expecting such long responses. Make mine look a bit pathetic. Oh well. Most of you know enough about me now anyway! I trust you also realise that I don't *actually* smell of wee...
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

I realize I haven't told you about DM2 ! I was stoked to hear about it and bought it shortly after its release for PC. At the time I didn't know about the emulators that would allow me to play the original DM on my PC... So I was very happy with DM2, new characters, lots of levelling-up, "real" money (not just a couple of coins like in original DM). Unfortunately, I never completed it. I took my party to the end of the game, but never defeated the boss... Those moving clouds... After falling just a couple of times I got discouraged and exited the game, never to play it again. Don't know why, simply forgot about it... I may have been drawn into the obsessive world of Warcraft 2, or was it Quake ?
Then I found out about emulators and got back to DM 1 !

Dungeon Master R00l3Z ! :D
BloodFromStone
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

Yo, yo. I'm Jeff in real-life, 20 years old. BloodFromStone was the name of a goblin character I played in a table top game, and it has stuck ever since. I'm a bit out of place on this because I hadn't even touched Dungeon Master before last year. :) Selie forced it on me, and I took a great amount of enjoyment out of it. I'm currently playing through CSB, but I have been distracted from it lately...
I'm a big gaming geek... I play PC and console games, and games of all types... Except sports games, really, and only specific puzzle games. Most of my free time is taken up by games if I can help it. I run/play on a text based RPG online, sit down and play games with my girlfriend as often as possible, and when my guy friends and I get together, it tends to be centered around Street Fighter. Sometimes I pretend I'm a writer, too.
I'm doing that college thing right now, slowly but surely. My major is undecided, and I have no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life. :) Yay, me.
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Aloha,

My name's Bart. I'm 26 and live in Poland. In real life I'm psychologist, I specialize in management and industrial psychology and I teach students. It's really interesting that DM and all what is connected to this game make some 'psychological place' for so many people.

The first time I played DM was about 1990 on Atari ST - my first computer. I can remember that DM was quite difficult for me these times, but from that point I started to play almost every rpg that comes into my hand. I've finished DM and DM2 on PC nad CSB on Amiga emulator. Much later in 2002 I found this forums and I started to play custom fans dungeons once again. Once again I was playing till the morning with the big tea-kettle on my desk :)

I have a great time here with you guys, I wish I have more time to play and test all these dungeons. But I will some day, I will. Dungeon Master forever... in my memory.
ParuNexus
Adept

Who is "Paru"

Post by ParuNexus »

well about me...
My legal name is Paul Borte, i'm almost 26 years old, I live in Portland Oregon. I was first introduced to DM i tihnk in 88 or something when i played the Atari version. there use to be stores that did infact still atari computers around that time. I've been "around" this DM online scene for many years thou mostly lurking -_-
Formally known as DMologist as the name sugests i sorta figured myself a "study of Dungeon master". completely unrelated I made up Paru Nexus for some other fandom. only after studying the DM Nexus manual did i realize there was a PA and Ru symbols(i belive denoting power in the spells) and hence forth started using that. I realy havn't done anything to help sadly, evne tohu i had many chances to. I could have made the CD rip of Nexus long before someone else did. I currently have a real PHYSCIAL copy of DM2: skullkeep for PC and DM: Nexus for saturn all the rest are "vitural" copies. the DM serries ranks in my top 15 rpg's of all time and i'd say top 10 games ever.

I only know english i have a few Japanese to english dictionaries. my hobbies are many and far! ranging from different rpg game universe's Such as the classic Lunar one or Phantasy Star. Countless Science Fiction and fantasy subjects, like mild intrest in star trek, Love Doctor Who, Farscape ROXORZ!!!! not excluding novels, comics, manga and other writen works either :) and alot of anime as well.

msn: ParuNexus@hotmail.com
yim: paru_nexus
aim: ParuNexus
IRC: either ParuNexus or ParuCodex
and yes i'm the one who sits and *ALMOST NEVER TALKS* in the chat room.

I'm a graveyard Janitor at the Portland Internation Airport been doing that for i tinhk 5 years. Most saturday's I do have a life(swiming in morning, twice a month an anime club and another 2 saturday's is this science fiction society I belong to).

I am however reknowned to spell bad and be EXTREMELY late while on the internet. so do prepare for me never to reply just in case.
Valderra
Artisan

Re: So, tell us about yourself...

Post by Valderra »

Gambit37 wrote:I'm a semi-oldbie at 32.
Hi everyone...
My name is Valderra and I hail from the planet Saturn. When I visit Earth, I can usually be found in England or thereabouts. :D
And I am older than that semi-oldbie up there ^ - ^ :lol:

I am a huge fan if Dungeon Master. I used to play it on the Mega Drive, at least I think it was the Mega Drive... LOL And after many many tries, I even managed to make it to the end. Once I finished the game, I was able to go through the dungeon with ease and finish it much faster each time.
Of course, I haven't played it for years and have only now reacquainted myself with the game... :D I feel like a kid again. LOL

Anyway, I have known about this place for a long time, and have been looking around here on and off. But for some reason, I haven't been back in quite a while and only a few days ago came to have a look again. And what do I see? DM is available for download !! Of course I downloaded it right away and - to my utter surprise - I was able to play it on my laptop (XP) AND it has sound. :shock: I am still delirious and haven't quite recovered yet. LOL

So... there you have it. Oh... and I made a thread as a guest earlier on - or yesterday - please... just ignore it. :roll:
Wismerhill
Apprentice

Post by Wismerhill »

Hi,

I'm 30 and I live in Paris, France. I'm a DM fan since the Amiga 500 days, near 1989. I was previously hooked by The Bard's Tales that I did finish on Amstrad CPC 6128. I did draw all the maps by hand. DM was the logical next step and it was so much a good game. I never got into CSB and later tried to go into DM2 but to no avail. DM is still one the best games I've ever played, with The Bard's Tales, Ultima V and StarCraft. DM has a very fine gameplay, with strategy and micro-management.

I read a lot of books, watch a lot of movies and is a computer addict, though I'm not socially challenged. My job is to be a software engineer. I also play drums in a rock band. I'm also into game programming but my first project was too ambitious: a Thief-like in a feodal Japan setting, playing a Ninja. I was able to put out a demo but the project was cancelled due to the sheer amount of content to produce to have a decent game. After a short break, I searched for a smaller game to do and thinked that a DM clone was the way to go. I found DMJava and decided to rewritte it so as to make it evolutive (3D, NPC, network, multiplayer...) I've been lurking here for 2 years, without much to say.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Hi, my name is Patrick and I seem to be the baby of the forum at only 19 years of age :cry:

I come from Doncaster in South Yorkshire UK (hey Paul!) and am currently studing Computing / Games Development at UCLAN (University of Central Lancashire) in Preston. I first got into DM at a very young age (obviously!) when my parents bought an Amiga, with DM. I was fascinated by it and used to sit up and watch my Mum and Dad play until the early hours. It used to scare me absolutely :ahem:, but I still watched, captivated by the fantasy. Time went on and as I got older, I started to play myself. I say 'play' but I couldn't really - all those stats, weapons and attributes - there's no way a 5 year old could play DM properly, let alone CSB! I just got confused and kept dying :wink:. Kept dying and kept playing! :P So there I grew up playing DM on and off (I still play occasionaly on the Amiga) but it slowly started to fade out of my life, as the SNES, Gameboy Dreamcast etc. started to come in...

Then we got the Internet a few years back and I wanted to rediscover a few games of my youth, so to speak. Naturally, the first game I searched for was DM and a search engine pointed me in the direction of a certain little website known as The CSB and DM Encyclopedia (heard of it? lol :lol:).

I enjoy playing computer games, not one particular genre just as long as they're good! Starfox series, Sonic series, Perfect Dark, Jet Set Radio, MSR, Shenmue, Starcraft, Gitaroo Man, Vice City, Unreal Tournament and more recently Half Life 2 to name but a few favourites (judge me as you will - they're all classics!).

I've never really got into forums, well writing on them anyway (I read about 6 or 7 forums frequently and this is the one I have the most posts in and that's not even past 30 yet!), so I'm trying to make an effort in this one!
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

hi *wave*
i am benni and i am a dm-nut.
ok, to be honest, i'm more or less healed. i still start a dungeon sometimes, but the times, where i fused 2 times a day with 2 different partys, each guided through the whole game before, are gone.
i'm 25 (say "quarter century" and DIE! ;)) and i'm studying economics, but i will quit this year and start a real job.
i also used to play diablo 2 and lod like sick and like browsergames very much, but didn't succeed so far in getting anyone from here to play one with me ;)
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

Hi, my real name is Dan and I'm from Vancouver, BC, Canada.

I'm a real old timer by all of you so far who has posted as I will be 42 this year come March.

I use to play DM on my Amiga 1000 back in the 80's I guess. I only happend to come across it at some store, I never heard of it before but I'm glad I bought it! I did finish the game, with help with the tip manual that I bought later but only after a long time and a lot of late night campains. I purchased CSB but could never finish it. Eventually I had to get rid of my Amiga (gave it away) as I couldn't find any more programs for the manchine, and I purchased a PC (the thing most businesses were starting to use) and started to dial-up on a new thing called The Internet.

I came across DM.com also by mistake, I believe I was searching for a new game, typed in 'dungeon' and found this site. Boy was I surprized to see it! Brought back good memories, and of course I downloaded it right away and started playing again, and dieing again, and again....

I did enjoy playing D&D in the old days but mostly for the art work and drawing up maps for dungeons. I played a lot of S. J. Sorcery! books and the Lonewolf novels a bit. But once the pc improved and the games, I've been mostly playing electronic D&D type games (EOB, etc.)

I enjoy listening to music (rock, country, classical, jazz), reading fantasy/sci-fi & books like Da Vinci Code, movies (Star Wars was my favourite but LOtR has taken that spot now),flying my stunt kite, hiking, drawing, day dreaming. I use to make stained glass windows, developed my own black & white photos, and now I'm creating cross stitch designs and I love to carve pumkins in October.

I'm currently working on two dungeons for DMJ, very slow process as I don't seem to have as much free time as I did when I was younger. But once I get them done, I'll release them into the Net and add my part of cyber junk :wink:.

Now enough about me... how about you?

'Live long and prosper!' V <- suppose to be a hand without a thumb <grin>
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

Relig wrote:I'm a real old timer by all of you so far who has posted as I will be 42 this year come March.
LOL And you call yourself a "real old time" ? I still beat you at that.. :shock:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think Paul Stevens has us all beat...and you can pick a category...effort in stuff he does for DM/community, humour...
L!ghthouse
Craftsman

Post by L!ghthouse »

Hi, my real name is Neil and I live in the United States, California. I used to live in Budapest, Hungary; but I'm slow to change my profile.

I'm not sure why I use the name L!ghthouse... I used it once at a LAN party (Quake II then), I won the match vs. 8 of my friends, ever since then, I have used the name. I guess that I figured it must be lucky or something.

I work as a computer technician and web master for a local high school. It helps me pay the bills as I go to college at the same time. I am a computer science major.

I am 22 years old and have been playing DM ever since my dad bought the original for the ST on the day of it's release. (I was also in stores when DMII was released for the PC.) The first party that I ever played in DM was Linflas, Stamm, Gothmog, and Chani (@DaveTheMiller-Yep, I thought she must be pretty hot too...).

Currently, I am working on a few things RTC related. I am working on a website so that you can post your custom RTC bitmaps online. (I thought it would help the community see other people's efforts.) I am also working on my own set of custom bitmaps / "High-Res" bitmaps (most people on this forum know that RTC uses twice the resolution of the original DM, I am just spicing up the old bitmaps...) On top of this I am also creating my own RTC dungeon (I'm trying to keep it feeling as much like the original DM as possible.) :)
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

I'm Sera, and I'm a 19 year old living in Wolverhampton, England. Have been sucked into the realms of DM since I was 4, I think... o.O

I'm currently starting out my very own dungeon in reaction to all the other creators, thought I might as well join in, pretty hard to get into the editor at first, but it got much much easier after an hour of use.

As for the rest of my life, I'm Managing the Wrangler department in menswear, in Boundary Mill Stores, its pretty boring sometimes, at others its absolutely crazy, however im getting more experienced in it, whoopie.

In my spare time im on here chatting as well as creating comic strips in this forum, i draw aswell, only ever draw dragons though, im no good at anything else.

Nothing else thats worth mentioning, so i shall leave it at that.
Last edited by Sera on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Immortal Dungeoneer.
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Hi & welcome !
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

I'm 30 and seem to be responsible for a lot of this - apologies for taking up so much of your time :wink:

I wrote a simple editor for the original DM back in the late 80s on the Atari ST and it sank without a trace! I re-wrote it a few years later for the PC (as DMute) and have been constantly amazed ever since at the interest in it

As a work avoidance tactic whilst finishing off my PhD thesis I started writing RTC in 1999. That was over 5 years ago now and RTC seems to have taken on a life of its own...

As for other stuff, I enjoy competitive cycling (I finished 19th in the World Masters Championships last year) and before that rowing (racing in several international events and for Cambridge University in the Boat Race). After an injury put me out of action for a few years in the 90's, I did quite a bit of sports coaching including teams for the Commonwealth Games and individuals who have gone on to win medals at the Olympics.

In my spare (!) time I've also written a couple of books and seem to have picked up a wife, two cats and a mortgage along the way. Real llife eh - well, at least it keeps me off the streets and from causing trouble... :lol:

Post by Guest »

I didn't reply to this thread before as I thought my details are too dull. But what the heck, here goes: My real name is Richard Smith and I'm *cough* 41 (I'm a bit tubby but at least I have a full head of hair). I chose the handle "Des" because it is a rune in DM and it was my nickname for a while at school. In the 5th form I was in a dreadful punk rock band called "The Sphenoids", and after I played a tape of the band's efforts in the common room, someone said my vocals sounded like Des O'Connor, and it stuck :oops:

I have a suitably nerdy job as a computer programmer, mainly doing ArcIMS (internet geographic mapping) and Java. I am really into games of all kinds. As well as computer games, I play board games (mostly German) and Bridge regularly. I also take part in APBM (amateur play by mail) and am the assistant editor of a games zine called "Variable Pig".

I have been a fan of DM since it first came out and I played DM and CSB in trandem (one controller, one mapper, one helper / spliffupper) on an ST with my housemates back in my 20s. I am currently having a bash at a custom dungeon for CSBWin called "Angel's Egg", which is now in the playtesting stage. It features a lot of "helpful" texts from classic rock albums which may well be utterly baffling to younger players. Yes I like nerdy music too - as well as classic rock, I also like prog, post-rock, and some indie. No punk though :lol:
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

The above post was me. Forgot to log in :oops:
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Hello everybody!
My name in real is Sigi . (Siegfrid Sigismund Schwarz)

I like to be in the garden and i have practiced martial arts, which i want to begin again. I am running as a workout through the nearby wood and forest.
I love to draw. I feel better if i do.(there´s mainly fantasy stuff, but i try to draw other things as well.)
I have some plants at home and i have meddled with computers for some time, although i am no expert in anything there, so i am no programmer, or html specialist. I read, but it´s been a while. I read mostly english written stuff.
I live in South-Germany near the Alps. This region is called Bavaria.
Maybe you know "Munich" which is near where i live. My home is in a small village called Hornau with my parents, i am on the 3rd floor. I am a single(buhu, weep).
Anyways, i am 25 years old and i am currently in the last grade at school.
(Well, i dropped out of school, and realized i like to study )
I was in a crisis and it took me some time to roughly know what i wanted
What i wanna study?? I do not know for sure, I want to finish school first, maybe computer visualisation or computer sience or s.th. to do with biology ; but i will be limited to the things i may study, so i cannot directly study maths or physics, for instance. I would like to go abroad for studying(is there a dying in it?!), maybe Great Britain, but it is very veeery unlikely i will have the money and the guts to do so(I live at my parent´s , remember?)

Ultimately i want to do a fantasy film, and computer game, so i think i will end up, if i qualify for it, in the gaming industry maybe.

Puuh. My nickname. THis is funny, i picked zoooom because i thought i was a swift player, pacing my party through the narrow and wide dungeon walls, navigating without collisions. But then i got to know the race to fusion and all of a sudden my nick didn´t seem to be that well chosen anymore!

I got aquaintanced with these forums through the dungeon master encyclopaedia, which i rarely visit now. I do not know, maybe i know just all the things i wanted to know or maybe there is too much stuff.
At first i lingered at these forums and eventually i registered.

Oh, i have been a bit quiet the last month(s??) but i still like this forum.
;)
I hope you are all fine.

regards,
Zooooom