So, tell us about yourself...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: So, tell us about yourself...

Post by Gambit37 »

If you can't recommend Half Life 1, then you could recommend the modern update "Black Mesa" instead. It's pretty awesome. :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Very much this.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Half -Life is da bomb diggitty yo. Forgive me that is my personal opinion. I love Final Fantasy also.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I played a couple of the Final Fantasy games but didn't finish either - in the last one I played I got utterly fed up with the stupid random fights that come up (unavoidably and without warning) every time you take about two steps on the map, then there seemed no way to heal outside of combat so I just got whittled down a bit more each fight until everyone was dead...then had to reload and do it again :P.

Post by Big Stan 426 »

OK watching The Thing again.The one with Kurt Russell. Their is no audible sound in space. No I am not gonna let it go. It is a travesty. I read the book,watched the orignal with James Arness. Do not care about the latest. Hormone driven teenagers.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's artistic licence and films would be really bloody boring if they were accurate about things like "no sounds in space". But we did that conversation already, so let's all just agree to disagree.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

True Gambit.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Watching the film show Mama. Again. I like it. Not enuff time to play video or pc games. I will play again pretty soon.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Ameena, in Final Fantasy games you can heal your party whilst fighting. It takes one turn but it heals any member. Basic level is cura, curaga heals more. All kinds of ways to heal.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Prometheus. :-)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Exactly - you can heal while fighting, thus using a turn up when you could be hitting whatever it is you're fighting and thus giving them less chance to hit you back. But you can't heal between battles (at least, I could never find a way). The whole "take two steps and then the screen suddenly changes and now you're in a fight" thing just irritated me so much that (combined with the "no heals between fights" thing) I got pretty fed up, very quickly, and soon switched to playing games that I didn't find quite so frustrating :).

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Ameena, you can heal when in the world map. Just do not move, thus no random battles. Use a tent (heals whole party). Or us an item such as cure or elixior. Or cast healing magic. I know, I am still playing FF8 for a lot of years. Got to the final bosses, my party was not leveled up enuff. Got burned out FF. Went back to DM.:-D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Can't remember whether I had a tent or whatever - I was very early into erm...FFIX I think it was. I hate the whole "take two steps and get randomly attacked" thing anyway - there is no warning, no little mob icons on the map to suggest that if you go there, you will get attacked, just fwooosh the screen changes and suddenly you are fighting some random things. I'd prefer if the monsters were shown as randomly wandering little icons or something, and if I wanted to fight them I would have the choice of actually approaching them (or standing still long enough for them to wander into me, if the monsters are moving as well), but otherwise would be able to thread my way past them to whatever destination I was actually heading for.
Anyway, FF games not really my thing, it turns out, so I'll stick to stuff whose combat mechanics I actually prefer ;).

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Agreed. Well it is going to be a very hot summer this year. So we have been working on the swimming pool.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Kill Bill Vol1.O:-)
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

@Big Stan: you seem to be quite a movie buff, maybe you should check out this sub-forum: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=70 It's here just so members can chat about movies, tv shows and stuff like that. There's also a forum dedicated to talking about games you might want to check out, you'll probably find many great discussions about these things over there and can start some great movie discussions of your own too! ;)
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

TY SU. As you can tell I am slow. But once I get it,I get it.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Just a quick note to remind people not to create lots of posts one after the other, it can be a bit confusing for others to follow.
It's better to wait for a reply before posting something new. Thanks everyone.
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Hi Everyone!

Sitting around with some friends reminiscing about older games we had played - the subject of Dungeon Master came up. Although I have not played it everyone spoke so highly about it and to some it was their all time favorite. They mentioned that you could download and play it and that there were even new dungeons that people had created. So...here I am :)

Looking forward to exploring the game and having some fun.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Hello and welcome Wizard Zedd. We love DM here. There are very good threads in this forum. If you decide to play DM, have fun and enjoy. I am currently playing DM1.Played it years ago never finished tho. I really missed it. There are very nice ppl in this forum. :-)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Yes, welcome to the forums. I guess we can all understand your friends' nostalgia, it is indeed a great game. Enjoy! Any problems feel free to ask questions.
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Thanks for the nice welcome. I downloaded the game and just started playing it today. So far I have killed a mummy and a little "tree" creature - which was exciting. I am now searching for a key that I can't seem to find...but will keep looking. So far so good - just hope I picked the right team :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe cool, welcome to the forum :D. Which version of DM are you playing? CSBWin, RTC, DSB, the version for the Atari emulator Steem...I think there may be one or two others I've forgotten. The little squeaky tree thingys are called Screamers btw ;). And who did you take in your team? Resurrect or Reincarnate? Actually maybe all this is better off answered in a thread over in the DM section of the forum...but anyway, it's cool that new people are still discovering this game even now - it shows just how good a game it is that new people who didn't grow up with it are enjoying it :D.
Oh, and it's possible that the key you can't find is an iron or solid key on the floor somewhere - those can be hard to spot as they are grey on grey. Might be worth bearing in mind if you're sure you've checked everywhere and can't find anything obvious :).
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Welcome, Wizard Zedd! I hope you enjoy your stay :-)
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Thank you Ameena & Gambit.

Ameena - I will look at the other forums and comment on your message there as suggested....but, I did find the key on the floor as you stated, very hard to see :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ah good - I was just suggesting it as a possibility in case you'd already looked everywhere, since those grey keys can be hard to spot on the ground - didn't want you getting all frustrated and stuff. On the other hand, you might just have missed a room somewhere but I thought it would be nice to point it out since you're not the only one who's had trouble with finding iron/solid keys on occasion :D.
Novice

Post by Nymeriaa »

Hello!

It is funny sometimes where the internet can lead you on those long nights at the computer... This time it lead me to begin research on a game I have not thought about in many years! I plan on trying out this game again (even though the graphics may drive me up the wall!), for a feel I may have been too young to truly appreciate it back in the day. I don't often sign-up to forums, but after spending some time reading the discussions here, my interest has been officially peaked... The community here seems really fascinating and intelligent, and I hope I'm not too late to participate in some conversations and make some friends :)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Hello Nymeriaa! Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy replaying DM, it does still hold up after all these years (even with the graphics).
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe, it's a forum - by its very nature no-one is evr too late to participate in conversations or make friends ;). Welcome on board and feel free to share any DM-related stories, or anything else at all really (you know, within the rules ;)). If you don't already have access to a version of DM, there are several available - there's CSBWin (a port of the Atari version and thus completely accurate), Return to Chaos, aka RTC (a clone made from scratch so not every mechanic precisely matches that of the original), Dungeon Strikes Back, aka DSB (another clone...which I've never tried so I can't really tell you anything about it but there are others who can, most notably Sophia who actually made it :D)...oh, you could alternatively download the Atari emulator STEEM (no relation to Steam, by Valve ;)) and download the game from Atarimania (or some other site but that's the main one that I know of).
Meanwhile you can also feel free to chat about whatever...not just gaming-related stuff, but anything else as well :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome!