So, tell us about yourself...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: So, tell us about yourself...

Post by Ameena »

Cool, not sure how I missed this post given that it was made on Thursday - welcome to the forum :D. We seem to be getting quite a few new people lately. That's cool :).
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Hey everyone. I used to be a member here several years ago, but unfortunately I don't remember any of my old log-in details or even which email I originally used. I'm not sure if it's possible to merge accounts or if it's not a problem making this new one?

Anyway, I've just rediscovered my love for all things Dungeon Master, so here I am (again).
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, hello, welcome back! :P I have a feeling that I know you because your "avatar" looks familiar and I'm pretty sure it used to be used by someone from NZ as well, but I cannot remember your original "name". :roll: But I think the moderators will be able to help you there.

Anyway, it's nice to see you around - I also break away from the forums from time to time but sooner or later I simply have to come back... :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Thanks. :)

Yeah, my orignal name on here was Ven Ra. It's also what my avatar design is based on.
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi Daecon (Ven Ra!) I remember you, welcome back :-)

I have merged your old Ven Ra stuff into your new Daecon profile and the Ven Ra profile is now deleted.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Cool, welcome back - I remember Ven Ra :).
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Ameena wrote:Cool, welcome back - I remember Ven Ra :).
Gambit37 wrote:Hi Daecon (Ven Ra!) I remember you, welcome back :-)

I have merged your old Ven Ra stuff into your new Daecon profile and the Ven Ra profile is now deleted.
Thank you. :)

I wish I had more to say about myself, but not much has happened over the last several years. I was supposed to start studying at Victoria University in Wellington back in March of 2014 but I was taken ill just a few weeks before the school year was due to start (Crohn's). But hopefully by next March I'll be well enough to try again, although next time I'm looking at going to Auckland University to study Logic & Computation.
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, I'm very sorry to hear that. Hope you'll be alright as soon as possible, fingers crossed! Logic and Computation... hmmm... as a social scientist I've got nothing to say here... :wink:
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

X-COM, had a lot of fun with that one... jasondarby, did you ever try Persian Gulf Inferno? A game that foretold the events in the region years before it happened. Love the theme song.
keep your gor coin handy
Sambini
Novice

Post by Sambini »

Hello Everyone!

I am Chaos-Shaman's daughter and I have been asked to test out the game he has been working on for so many years now. I have quite a bit of experience with a variety of different games, from new to old from RPGs to FPSs. Some of game knowledge includes:

World of Warcraft, Elder Scrolls Online, Guildwars, Heroes of the Storm
Halo, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Battlefield
Warcraft I & II, Starcraft II, Age of Mythology, Settlers

I have also dabbled in quite a few mobile games like Plants vs. Zombies & Clash of Clans, and of course I have played the majority of classic N64, Sega and Gameboy games while growing up (thanks to my parents of course!). Video games have always been a huge part of my life and I hope I can put some of the knowledge I have gained to good use here.

Over the years I have observed my Dad working on his Dungeon Master game, and I have admired his dedication and desire to learn how to program an old game with modern features. He has shown me the lines of coding and programming he has been working on and I can't even begin to understand it! I finally got the chance to begin playing his beta the other day, and I was really surprised and impressed with how much he has added (and how much fun it was!). I came here to discuss with the board any bugs, possible solutions, what we would like to see, and what we think works well. I might be a biased daughter but I am very proud of my Dad for what he has accomplished, and I'm hoping I am able to help make it even better.

I look forward to becoming part of this community :)

See you all around the board in the near future!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey, welcome to the forum :). You didn't mention having played the original Dungeon Master - I can recommend it if you haven't done so already ;).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, hello, and welcome to the forums! :D So, the DM community is really becoming one big family. :wink:

Settlers.... the old good Settlers... I've almost forgotten this great old game!
Sambini
Novice

Post by Sambini »

Yes I started the original a few months ago but unfortunately never finished it :( I will have to revisit it to get a better perspective of the game!

I absolutely love settlers! Probably once every few years I will install it again and try to beat it. Just this past year was the first time I finally beat it! (10th anniversary addition). I feel like it's a one of a kind game and I would love if another one like it came out :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Sambini, thank you. I could not be more proud. It would do everyone great honor to help out with Dungeon Master. There are many engines. Please do read some of the wonderful posts that have been made. There are clones and games like DM as well. You do me great honor to spend the time and take interest. I agree with Ameena, try and finish the original so you'll have a good comparison to what has changed over the years. We're here to help. Do you remember watching me play it 23 years ago? lol, the days of the Amiga. Thanks, you're more than any father could ask for.
keep your gor coin handy
RPGmc72
Novice

Post by RPGmc72 »

im a returning member but i cant post anything, there is no Edit button?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

You cannot edit old posts. There is a short period after you make a new post when you can edit it.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I think you can edit a post as long as it's the last post in that thread (or you're a Mod/Admin).

Post by RPGmc72 »

Maybe edit didn't work for the first posts, thanks
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

RPGmc72 wrote:im a returning member but i cant post anything, there is no Edit button?
You can post, hitting "Reply". Then you can edit or delete your new post for some time, you do have an edit and delete ( x ) button to do so. After some time, you cannot edit or delete, the buttons are not there anymore. How long can one edit or delete a new post ? May be, 5 minutes.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Maria Simoneaux
Neophyte

Post by Maria Simoneaux »

Jan wrote:Oh, hello, and welcome to the forums! :D So, the DM community is really becoming one big family. :wink:

Settlers.... the old good Settlers... I've almost forgotten this great old game!
Hi, I'm Maria, I'm a new here. Jan, your words are great! It's cool to be a member of such big family! : 8)
I live in a world of fantasy, so keep your reality away from me!
Captainx01
Neophyte

Post by Captainx01 »

Hello Everyone!

My name is CaptainX01 and I have been lurking for many years among these halls. I forgot to properly introduced myself, but I figured better late then never! :D

I am the creator of Dungeon Guild, the Retro Sci Fi Dungeon Adventure Game over at http://www.DungeonTreasure.com

The game is built on top of the original code created by both Alandale and Solito. Solito took the original code and greatly improved it. I took Solito's code and created a whole new universe with exciting new features such as randomly generated secret selection, minigame support, movie player capability, scoring, internet updated high score tables, continuously updated scrolling marquee messaging and all new graphics, music and sound effects. Free to PLAY!

I have worked in the computer science field for over 20 years and specialize in 2D/3D photo realistic graphics and special effects. Truth be told, I can do a bit of everything. From creating entire 3D scenes to editing video, creating sound effects, voice overs, compiling videos, writing scripts, etc. I enjoy the creative process.

I first played Dungeon Master on the Amiga 500 that I purchased as a young man way back when. It was such a wonderful game that I decided to spend the time and effort to build my very own dungeon adventure game, Dungeon Guild, as a way of giving back to this community. I hope you all enjoy it! :D

Wishing you all the best,

CaptainX01
Play DungeonGuild, the Retro Sci Fi Dungeon Adventure Game! Visit DungeonTreasure.com (*Bows to Alandale and Solito!*)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, hello, I mean officially hello, Captain, thanks for introducing yourself, it's nice to have you here, and it's good to know you owned the second best 16bit computer ever :mrgreen: . I hope to find some time to explore Dungeon Guild in the near future!

And, with some delay, hello to Scotland to Maria! Looking forward to your DM story, how you came to know the game, how you first met the first mummy below the stairs, how you first panicked and bumped in the nearest wall etc. - you know, the usual stuff that happened to us all! :)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Jan wrote:it's good to know you owned the second best 16bit computer ever
Yeah, the Amiga 500 really was the second best 16 bit computer ever.

The Amiga 2000 was the best. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll:

But anyway... welcome new people. :D
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Keen to know Jan's firstest bestest 16 bit.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I knew you all would be excited, that's why I wrote that, to revive and refresh this lately somewhat calm forum. And of course it was
Spoiler
Atari
, you tinkers! :wink:

Reminds me of a post-war encounter of a British minelayer HMS Manxman and a huge American strike fleet, somewhere in the Atlantic:
American fleet: 'Hi! How's the second biggest navy in the World?'
HMS Manxman: 'Oh, hi, great, thanks a lot! And how's the second best?'
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey Captain, welcome to the forum :D.
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

My first 16bit was the Atari, but i switched to an Amiga after a couple of years (due to knowing more people that owned one). I'd have to say the Amiga was my favourite.

..... and hey Captainx01! Welcome.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

(i) Hey CaptainX01! Welcome to the forums!

(ii) Atari rules.
loric
Neophyte

Post by loric »

hey new member but longtime lurker so nice to meet you all (officially).
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Hey loric... Welcome to the forum (officially).