So, tell us about yourself...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Re: So, tell us about yourself...

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Big Stan 426 wrote:Excuse me for my ignorace.wtf is that game. Why did no one tell me. No one tells me anything. I am . I do not know. I get lonely. Wife works tooo much. I understand I am not the only one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier:_Elite_II
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Another good site for info on Frontier is the Frontierverse, which is at sharoma.com/frontierverse and also has (DOSbox-compatible) downloads of every version of the game (I use the Atari one with all its wonderful bugs which is the same one we had back in the day).
Basically the game consists of "you are the pilot of a spaceship - space is that way. Off you go". You can trade, explore, fight, perform missions, and generally have the run of the entire galaxy (which is to scale and which contains every star which was known at the time and then the rest use made-up names) in the year 3200 (and counting...). It came out in 1993 (or was it 1992?) and is the sequel to the original Elite, which I think came out in the early '80s. There is currently a sequel in production, Elite: Dangerous, which made looooads of money on Kickstarter (some of which was mine ;)) and is about to end its Alpha phase.

Post by Big Stan 426 »

TY for all the info ya'll. By the way I was stationed in Kuwait for 4 months back in 1998. In their desert. There was one thunderstorm. I was cool because when the lightning struck during the night you could see incredibly far and everything.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Finally ordered DM1 for the SNES. From Amazon. Even comes with the instruction manual! Won't be long now. I have my graph paper, pencil , eraser , and colored pencils all ready.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Basically the game consists of "you are the pilot of a spaceship - space is that way. Off you go". You can trade, explore, fight, perform missions, and generally have the run of the entire galaxy
Ameena, did you ever try out the old BBS game Trade Wars? it is much like Elite. that's all we had back in those days when BBS and using phone lines with a 300 baud modem, gee, heh, it sure does remind me of those times.
keep your gor coin handy
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Watched basketball with Roxy all night. She said she will help me with our swimming pool. Go Spurs Go!
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Can someone please tell me the exact order of all the DM games chronologicaly , please. I am very methodical.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi Big Stan. We generally keep this thread for people to introduce themselves. It can get a bit complicated to follow if other discussions and questions are raised here, so we have a different message thread for that. Please follow this link and continue the discussion there, many thanks:

Conversation thread: "The Inn of Lost Souls"
http://dungeon-master.com/forum/viewtop ... 55&t=24233
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

TY Gambit. Will do.
jahmiann
Artisan

Post by jahmiann »

Hi all

I am DM fan at the epoch of ATARI ST. I recently discover this old game continues to live through his fan.
By the way i found RTC and all his possibilies and choose to works on a custom Dungeon (with a lot of new idea).

I like playing bug custom dungeon, and i am actually on Dungeon matter. I tried other one but they are very small.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Glad you finally managed to log on! Welcome!
jahmiann
Artisan

Post by jahmiann »

Thx beowuuf

It was a quite tricky to find the way to register and post .
jahmiann
Artisan

Post by jahmiann »

Great !

I just see the description forum updated. ^^
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, we're not really sure what happened there...
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Welcome to the forums, jahmiann. 8)
Winnfield
Novice

Post by Winnfield »

Hello, just wanted to say this is a great site. DM was the first game that I played on a computer and I loved it. I then had the Legend of Skullkeep on my sega I believe. That was many moons ago, I recently started playing Legend of Grimrock and it brought back all the great memories of DM. I am going through a lot of pages in this forum and I feel the need to play the timeless masterpiece. Can any one point me in the direction of a nice safe download site? It will be a blast to make that journy again after such a long time. Thanx
"And you will know my name is the lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Hello,
Look in http://dmweb.free.fr/ for custom games.
And of course the DM forum at Custom dungeons: RTC, CSBWin, DSB.
Give a try at "Chaos Mirror" a new game, just released, may be you' ll be first to win this game.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome!

That site also has a download link to the original game and the original game as recreated under various clone engines. CSBwin being the closest to the Atari original.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hi, welcome to the forum :D. Please join in with the nostalgia and feel free to reminisce about anything interesting/silly/funny/scary which happened when you played DM and/or CSB back in the day :).
As has been mentioned, you can grab links to various downloadable versions of DM and CSB over on the DM Encyclopaedia. I've also seen it on a site called Atarimania, a site full of disk-grabs of many, many Atari games which you can run easily under the Atari emulator, Steem (not to be confused with Steam, the games-downloady place run by Valve ;)).
We don't just talk about DM here - there are threads on all sorts of stuff, from general chit-chat to current affairs to creative things people do in their free time (besides gaming, I mean ;)). We've also had a couple of play-by-post DnD games in the past, which were ultimately the result of a random person who showed up and made one single post saying how they wanted to be a DM and could we give them any advice, etc, only to be (nicely and politely and stuff ;)) told that this site isn't for that kind of DM, but that there are people who're into that kind of gaming anyway and wouldn't mind talking about it. As mentioned, the person never came back, but a bunch of us ended up playing in a DnD game which lasted about two years and was very fun :D.
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Welcome Winnfield - enjoy replaying DM, it still holds up after all these years.

Also, belated welcome jahmiann!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Welcome to the forums Winnfield. I hope you have loads of fun playing the pc recreations of DM, any Atari, DOS, or Amiga versions you can play via emulation, or even using one of the editors to create your own dungeons. If creating your own dungeons isn't your thing, relax, there's pleanty of gamers here who do enjoy creating their own dungeons. Check out the Custom Dungeons forums and see if you find anything you like.
Winnfield
Novice

Post by Winnfield »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Seems like you have a nice little community here. Also thanks for the advice on the games. I did have a question before I dive into the games though. I see that the atari ones use an emulator, do the ones here need any type of emulator or can I just download and play with the click of a button?......Sooooo anxious to tackle these and some that have been created :D
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Welcome Winnfield. I am a newbie too. Love DM. Long ,fun , drunken Memorial Day Weekend. Welcome Dude.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

DM clones such as RTC and CSBWin can just be downloaded and played straight away. RTC (Return to Chaos) is a clone made entirely from scratch and is pretty close to the original (there is an issue with spells such as lightning bolts doing a lot more damage, though, so Beholders can one-shot you and stuff :P). It contains DM, CSB, and a version of DM2 (though this uses the RTC engine so it's not animated and stuff like the original, also there are no Magic Maps).
CSBWin is basically a port of the Atari version, I believe - if you had an Atari and want that same experience, this is probably the one to go for. Despite the name, there is both DM and CSB for this version :).
There is another clone called DSB (Dungeon Strikes Back), made by Sophia, but I've never tried it so I don't know how it compares to the original.
These are all the three main clones (there was another one called DMJava but I don't know how close it is to the original or even if it ever got finished). All three also have a variety of custom-made dungeons, mostly put together by members of this forum, so if you finish the main games then there's still plenty to keep you occupied :).
Novice

Post by Winnfield »

Ok sounds great, thanks again. :D
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Made my way to The Hall Of Champions. Have food and water. Now Big Stan is going to make proper maps. It had been so many years since I played DM1. I just got too excited. The one game I truly enjoy playing. Forgive me for being old school. Oh, by the by Ameenah, they are working on Half-Life 3. Yes there is a God.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I've not played the first two Half-Life games so I can't say I'm fussed about whether any rumours about a third game will finally prove true ;). If there was a Portal 3, I'd be interested, however...

Post by Big Stan 426 »

That's funny Ameena. My son played the first Portal.Have Portal 2. Never even tried to play either one. Ha Ha the cake is a lie. The reason I love Half-Life so much is because it is the only game I have ever played where I felt I was in that persons shoes.I actually felt like I was Dr. Gordon Freeman.Kind of hard to explain.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ameena took forever to get around to Portal and Portal 2 too! They are very cool, both in terms of the fun puzzle element but of course because of the humour and character interplay.

Sadly I don't think I can recommend Half Life 1 to new people anymore, even though it is great and I played that game to death back in the day...and also recently.

Half Life 2 of course must be played ;)
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Agreed Beowuuf.