Cool stuff you've found on the web

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Re: Cool stuff you've found on the web

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Here's a video of the reaction of a hotel cleaning lady when she get's tipped $500 by a pair of youtube filmers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUzA ... z76iRmnO34
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

The two doors enigma.
You find yourself standing in front of two doors: One which leads to heaven and the other which leads to hell. In front of the doors are two guards, one which always lies and the other which always tells the truth. You do not know which door is which, nor which guard is which.
You must ask one question of one of the guards to determine which door will lead you to heaven.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ask this of either guard: "If I were to ask the other guard if this is the door to heaven, what would he say?"
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Yes, this is a solution. 8)

There is another one. Ask any guard,
Spoiler
"Is the liar guarding the door to hell ?"
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

What would you do with the answer to your question, terkio?
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I ask any guard
Spoiler
" Is the liar guarding the door to hell ?"
Spoiler
If the answer is "Yes", I go ahead ( I take the door guarded by the guard, I am talking to ). If the answer is "No I take the other door.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Clever!
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

The programmer's wife tells him "Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen".
The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

The Earth Was Almost Fried Back in 2012
http://gizmodo.com/the-earth-was-almost ... 1547123556
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

x class, the sun has been as the astronomers would say, acting strangely, i think that this one luckily was pointed not in our direction.
keep your gor coin handy
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Back in July 2012: "Luckily for us, we were on the other side of the sun, thus missing the chaos completely".

A report about the effects of magnetic storms.
http://www.spaceweather.gc.ca/tech/se-chr-eng.php
Last edited by terkio on Sat May 10, 2014 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

It's amazing how powerful of effects these solar eruptions can have on us here. Then again, considering the amount of energy emitted during such events, it's kind of amazing they don't have more of an effect then they do. Credit that to our own planet's magnetic field deflecting most of the energy away from us.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

yes, and again scientists are telling us the the field on the earth is really really weak and getting weaker. scientists don't know why either. man does not know enough about anything to make a call on this. maybe another few centuries before we have enough to compare to. there was a lot of discussion recently on the sun, it appears it is puzzling some scientists into speculations. todays funny was the square hole in the sun, HAHAHAHA, for gods sake. but it could be seen clearly in the pictures they provided. there is a lot of focus on the sun right now, let's hope the sun doesn't zero in on us with one of those x class blow outs.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

that was a nice read terkio
keep your gor coin handy
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I am glad you like it CS.
I have seen unbeleivable Aurora Borealis while canoeing in Northen Manitoba Canada. From this article, now I think I lived a magnetic storm.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Chaos-Shaman wrote:yes, and again scientists are telling us the the field on the earth is really really weak and getting weaker. scientists don't know why either. man does not know enough about anything to make a call on this. maybe another few centuries before we have enough to compare to. there was a lot of discussion recently on the sun, it appears it is puzzling some scientists into speculations. todays funny was the square hole in the sun, HAHAHAHA, for gods sake. but it could be seen clearly in the pictures they provided. there is a lot of focus on the sun right now, let's hope the sun doesn't zero in on us with one of those x class blow outs.
Actually, we covered that in my Geology classes last summer. The cause of the weakening magnetic field is well-known to most scientists, it does that shortly (in geologic time) before a pole reversal. There are records of many such pole reversals in the past, and the length of time between them is so inconstant that we haven't found any reason for the pole reversals, but there are ways of knowing when they've occurred before and roughly what was happening around the times they occurred.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

ah ha, :) , exactly SU! that is only one of the reasons for our climate change, and many other things, we don't even know for sure what dynamo is going on in our earths core, it's all scientific guess work I am afraid. I do accept most theories and our current one seems sound, but still it shows how we depend on science that is still not really proven. I do think the pole reversal that the earth just went through that happens in the 100,000s of years timespan may have some to do with it, but this change is not known how long it lasts or takes place in, we just don't know enough about it yet. it is obvious that the suns polar magnetic activity does affect our earths magnetics which will affect our own field, the earth as far as science sees it is a giant iron magnet, liquid iron would work like iron filings, so when the sun does it cycle combined with earths every so often long cycle that it would have an affect.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

terkio, I have not seen a good aurora in more than a decade, since 2001, when we experienced the best show ever where I live, there was the regular aurora that has the greens reds and oranges slowly waving and then there was this new affect, I never have witnessed this before, I could see the earths magnetic field being hit like drops of water hitting a waters surface, it was the most craziest thing ever, it lasted for hours, my brother and sister in law and spouse all watched it. it was amazing, but we could see the magnetic field being hit, something I never would have expected to see.
keep your gor coin handy
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

The amazing aurora that I lived was august 1995. The sky was all bright as of a giant milky way.
From one end to the other of the horizon, a eerie strong milky glow.
I had to set my tent in a burntwood area; With that glow over burnt trees I wondered wether i had passed in the kingdom of the dead.

I have watched nice colorfull auroras of the kind you mention, too.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

one time while fishing at the nuclear power station at night, we had a show that resembled a bulls eye, straight above was a red spot, pure bright red and all around it was brilliant green, another freaky nuclear power incident was when we saw a Russian satellite burning up in the atmosphere and it actually hit in Algonquin park, we could see it hundreds of kilometers away, it look like the hydro wires had caught fire, then split in two and fell behind the nuclear power plant buildings.
keep your gor coin handy
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Fishing and nuke.
I was in Sweden on a fishing vacation, outdoors all days long, around april 26th 1986. Later, back home I got aware of Tchernobyl.
From my investigations about the radioactive cloud wanderings and lies about it, likely I got it.
No, I do not glow in the dark.
However I will be forever on 'Levothîrox' a synthetic hormone to supplement my thiroide gland that does not work any more.
There is no proof this condition is from Tchernobyl, though. I'll never know and I have gone out of topic.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

really, sorry to hear about that, that can be a lot of problems for some. wow, I would guess most of EU got a taste of it. too bad you didn't contract super human powers of some sort :lol: did it change the sky colour because I swear the nuclear plant makes a difference for me, it sure is one of the reason I like to fish at night, so I can see the stars and the auroras, my granddaughter is named Aurora, is that off topic?

out of topic, well I find it is better to roam a little on topics then it is to be STERILE in thought and I doubt you want to create a topic about your gland, and being so precise and rigid is just not as fun or friendly as it is to sway a little, we're not robots, and we get to know each other. consider it just outside the box of conversations. and if it gets heated enough, we make a new topic, I don't want to search 5000 similar topics to find what I am looking for, so it really doesn't make any difference, just type it in the search, I really think it is better to be flexible in thought than act like robots. hehe, psychologists don't like it, neither do shamans :lol:

the sun has been really acting up, I expect this year to have a lot of auroras, I plan on fishing many nights. today we have cell phones(not me yet) and cameras that can probably pick up these displays, if I am lucky i'll get some footage as well with my fish caught that I can post.

you see the fishing story leads to the aurora story which leads to your story which I found interesting, it makes no sense to separate them, and sometimes it brings up an important story that otherwise the sterility would not have gone to. I personally think it damages the forums using this sterile method, and it also seems to give permission to some of the authorities to close a topic which I think is a lousy way to handle things unless a cat fight is going on, but I don't run this place so i'll try and satisfy this need to be so sterile in thought.

do you think the star wars program might affect the auroras?, do you think our filling the skies with billions of signals has an effect on the auroras? they have been screwing with our atmosphere for a long time now, so I do wonder if we affect it.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

terkio wrote:Fishing and nuke.
I was in Sweden on a fishing vacation, outdoors all days long, around april 26th 1986. Later, back home I got aware of Tchernobyl.
From my investigations about the radioactive cloud wanderings and lies about it, likely I got it.
No, I do not glow in the dark.
However I will be forever on 'Levothîrox' a synthetic hormone to supplement my thiroide gland that does not work any more.
There is no proof this condition is from Tchernobyl, though. I'll never know and I have gone out of topic.
That sounds nasty. If you'd like I can suggest a vitamin regimen that should help you with that. The main part of it is Vitamin B3 (Niacin) which, according to research I've seen on it, removes radiation from the body. I'm guessing that if you were exposed to toxic levels of radiation then it would probably help you out tremendously to start getting that radiation out of your body.

Chaos-Shaman wrote:you see the fishing story leads to the aurora story which leads to your story which I found interesting, it makes no sense to separate them, and sometimes it brings up an important story that otherwise the sterility would not have gone to. I personally think it damages the forums using this sterile method, and it also seems to give permission to some of the authorities to close a topic which I think is a lousy way to handle things unless a cat fight is going on, but I don't run this place so i'll try and satisfy this need to be so sterile in thought.
True. Rules and freedom need to exist in balance with one another. Total, rigid rules and no one can do anything without breaking some rule or other. Total, unfettered freedom with no rules and we would have absolute chaos to the point that the "freedom" would cease to exist. This forum, for example, would be choked out of existence by trolls moving in and flaming the good members (and each other) no topic would have any topic, and most of the posts would be spam. I certainly wouldn't find this forum fun to be on if there were either too many rules or too few rules. On my own forum, I reserve locking topics only for a topic that's gone out of control with some heated argument or something like that going on in it. If it's just wandered off topic, I just split the o/t postings off into a new thread and let both discussions continue.
do you think the star wars program might affect the auroras?, do you think our filling the skies with billions of signals has an effect on the auroras? they have been screwing with our atmosphere for a long time now, so I do wonder if we affect it.
With the level of technology and population we've achieved, I have no doubt that we are affecting our planet in major ways. I'd also say that our population has reached the point where technology is also the only viable solution to this. imagine the wholesale destruction 7 billion people all trying to revert to the hunter/gatherer lifestyle. I could easily see a mass extinction event coming out of that. Population growth and technologies got us into this mess, and inventing new technologies that will solve the problems we've created that will get us out of this mess. That and eploring the solar system and galaxy to find new places to live so we can disperse our population a bit more then this one planet that we are starting to outgrow.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

HAARP
These experiments can screw up auroras and more.
http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/ha ... ontrol.htm
http://www.haarp.net/

@CS What kind of fish to you catch at night ? Walleye, I guess.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

This forum, for example, would be choked out of existence by trolls moving in and flaming the good members
if a member has been around for a decade or more, and topics are still being closed on them, isn't that creating a problem? I understand if it's a new person who is just here to cause trouble, but that is not always the case, the powers are abused, it's history repeating itself when there is a body in control, it'll always have some abuse. like I said, I try and comply, just don't forget we need to bend, especially with those already established.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

we see the population growth in different views SU, I see no problem with it, there is no rule to population growth, nature doesn't work that way, it breathes back and forth, things will do well only for so long, then they quickly fade away as fast as they grow, I see no difference in man, and I do consider myself natural, I think the aurora is natural, and if we affect it, I also consider that natural. if we die off, I consider that natural. life has its own population growth then either adapts or dies off, that is what nature is. I was wondering if man contributes to the auroras, are they stronger now than in the past? I know that the last decade there has been very few auroras where I live, I saw them more when I was a kid. I also think the sun has been quiet the past decade, peaked around 2001, it explains why the global warming didn't occur as they said it would with their doom and gloom predictions. hey, I was told by my father that the northern lights was light reflecting from the polar ice caps, so we really have JUST learned how these things work.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

yes terkio, there is a lot of conspiracy around HAARP and it's real purpose. as I was saying earlier we have been screwing with the atmosphere for a long time, countries like China and Russia have been trying to control the weather for some time now. I wonder if its tings like what we have already done in the past, like all the nuke tests, that maybe what we are seeing today was affected by the 30 years of these tests. i think that a nuke blast would have an affect on them. now the big question is, does man affect the aurora. you know that a climate change promoter is going to blame that on us too. according to these people, man is bad, everything that is wrong is mans fault. I have a problem with that. man is good, not bad.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

terkio, while viewing the sky out on Lake Ontario, we troll fish( no I am not trolling :lol: ) so we can stare at the sky, we catch walley and brown trout, but it is Lake Ontario... there is all kinds of surprises caught in the night :) it is so cool, yes it is off topic, but that's what I experience while watching the night sky at the nuke plant. I went out there on Sept 11, I had every security guard around come down on me, but that's another story.
keep your gor coin handy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Just a reminder that general chat should happen in the Inn of Lost Souls thread, or the Chatroom: http://dungeon-master.com/forum/chat/index.php Thank you.
Also, please don't post multiple posts one after the other: please wait for a reply first.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

:) repeats, ah yes, those catapulting plasmic discharge bursts of high intensity can cause anomalies on earth, including mental awareness which includes the earths fragile state concerning Sol will require a great deal of study living in a sterile environment :lol:
keep your gor coin handy