INN OF LOST SOULS: general chit-chat thread

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: INN OF LOST SOULS: general chit-chat thread

Post by beowuuf »

Hello and welcome!

I don't believe there is a port of Nexus, just emulation. Not anything I have tried yet.
gerganrab
Apprentice

Post by gerganrab »

I've played thru the Escape series (Zombie Master was excellent) some of Zed's dungeons (prolific he) and risking Carpal Tunnel trying to beat the dragon in ToC - impressive, turning DM into an action/arcade game. Dungeons Matter was real fun. Right now I am stuck in Journeyman. It just seems to end at the room with the pillars and coin slot. I even went all the way back to the beginning and searched everywhere for coins. It says I'm a Knight now, but no new areas have opened up.
What I like is what DM was all about, a perfect mix of combat and puzzles. If I can pick a party I like old DnD style a couple tanks with little or no magic a wiz and a priest.
On a dumber note, how do I make an avatar since I intend to post a lot (I get lost easy). Thanks all for so much retro fun. GB
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You need to be able to post a picture on a filespace somewhere. There is an avatar area in the control panel to link to the file reference.

If you don't have any filespace, you can e-mail me the picture at beowuuf at yahoo com and I can host it here
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

welcome to the forums, gargenrab! 8)

If you like challenging dungeons with lots of tough monsters to fight, but still with challenging puzzles to solve, you might want to try 2 of florian's dungeons:

- Down
- Up'N'Down

I've played both and found them very challenging and they kept me busy four hours and hours working on them. One warning about Down though, it has a very challenging above ground maze of a thicket that you can easily get lost in if you don't map it.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey Gerganrab, welcome to the forum :). Do you have any interesting/silly/funny/embarrassing gaming-related stories to tell us? ;)
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

gerganrab wrote: how do I make an avatar since I intend to post a lot (I get lost easy). Thanks all for so much retro fun. GB
Once logged in, you gp: User Control Panel / Profile / Edit Avatar
There you see you can choose one from a gallery or provide your own.
I uploaded mine on a free FTP account of my own. Simple ! ( There are many such things, but wrapped with all sorts of useless fancy obnoxious features I don' t need.)
I had to resize, over the 91 x 95 is rejected.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Welcome gerganrab!
gerganrab wrote:I intend to post a lot
Lets see how long it takes you to catch up with beo :D
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I've been posting a lot and I'm about 1/20th of the way there...

You'd have to be under a sea of posts to catch captain beo and is Jules Vernian submarine.

I think the Gray Lord made it for him. ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The fact this forum has been going for *cough* years certainly helps. I think the posts needed now to catch up with someone like myself or Gambit would require a flood on the level of several spam bots.

Having more posts of quality than me, however...not that hard!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

beowuuf wrote:Having more posts of quality...not that hard!
Yeah, put me in the same bucket as Beo.
Some users with only 50 posts add so much value! Usually the people who release a new tool or update a game engine, etc etc.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

lol, yeah, cause they're probably not spending all their free time on the forum posting everywhere like those of us with high post counts. :P
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

gerganrab wrote: Right now I am stuck in Journeyman. It just seems to end at the room with the pillars and coin slot. I even went all the way back to the beginning and searched everywhere for coins.
Hi, I started "Journeyman".
Did you get this coin ?
Spoiler
I found a coin climbing down a small room , clicking at a outlet slime
EDIT At the room with pillars and a coin slot, it says, I'm a Knight. We found the same amount of coins.
I am afraid, that's the end of the game.
I am trying to figure out a scroll with rune symbols, I translated into letters, no obvious meaning....Hint ?
gerganrab
Apprentice

Post by gerganrab »

Is that the end of the game? I thought the coins were like Easter Eggs, you click on some random thing and oh hello Potrzebie! GB
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I see a few single fake walls with the magic map. I dont find how to reach those.
I am looking for a tiny switch and an opened ceiling......
There is a plank, small planks, bones. I don' t find any use for those.

The scroll with runes ( translated to letters ). Any idea ?
ger tuo pad
edg hac en
mek lao per
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Gambit37 wrote:This thread is for off topic general chat.
Posts were off topic in a thread for off topic chat. A sweet paradox. :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ha ha, yeah, it does sound ridiculous like that. :-) But thanks for moving the conversation, it makes the forum better for everyone when topics can be found at their expected location.
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Seriously Unserious wrote:It must have been pretty nasty to force you to use your off hand like that.
At work, I'm the only left hand user and forgot to replace it to the right. :roll: At home I chip off the old block :wink:
Even if I had given you the smallest bite, my poison will overcome you
Spoiler
Try me!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I remember being caught up in the tail-end of this moral panic. The mother of one of my friends was incredibly religious, and felt that D&D was satanic. It made his life tough, I remember having to hide some of his stuff in my house in case it got burned...

Looking back, it is amazing how people will tend to believe pretty much anything about something that they don't understand!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I've read about that whole panic thing before...I just find it so amusing that people got themselves so worked up about a game, claiming it was responsible for making people kill themselves or "attempt to summon demonic spirits" or whatever...when actually (at least over in America) it seems that the majority of these accusers have themselves apparently been influenced into such behaviour by a book (the Bible)...or at least by how they and their fellows have interpreted said book and how they think it tells them to treat other people. Or something.
I suppose there's always gonna be some "weird" thing that people want to demonise and use an excuse for other people's behaviou with they either disagree with or which causes harm (to the individual inquestion or to others). Instead of, you know, looking at the bigger picture of that person's background and seeing what else might cause them to act that way. Like having their parents kicking off and calling them devil-worshippers because they like playing a Fantasy game :D.
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Yeah, it sounds even weirder when you put it like that. Someone can say "The game is an occult tool that opens up young people to influence or possession by demons" and act as if it is the others who are living in a fantasy land! :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I someone ever were to come up to me and say "omg you're playing that game, that means you worship the Devil!" I would probably find it very hard not to just laugh incredulously at them in a "What, you're serious?" kind of way. I suppose it's a bit more of an American thing though, isn't it, kicking off that much about religion (well, Christianity) and stuff. I'm sure you do get people like that in other countries but it's only from over there that you really hear about that kind of behaviour. I suppose that's what sites like that...oh what's that made-up one, is it the Westboro Baptist Church or something...it's a website for a made-up American church organisation thing which is just massively over the top in its articles and stuff, like film reviews (one claiming that the third Lord of the Rings film had a deliberately misleading title and that the whole Frodo-and-Sam thing is sinful because...two male charcters who "love" each other and all that) and I remember reading one once about a child having their pet rabbit stoned to death and the garden shed burnt down because something something rabbits-are-devils or something. It's pitched at about the level where those who get it will laugh at how stupid the idea is and how that kind of thing would never happen, but I bet there are some people who actually take it seriously and believe it :D.
Master Superior

Ameena wrote:I bet there are some people who actually take it seriously and believe i
There sure are.

As for that mother who went on a crusade against D&D, a simple game for crying out loud, it was probably to blame her son's problems on a game then to accept her share of the responsibility for his conditions, as a young man doesn't become suicidal without something driving down into that state, and if a person is descending into a suicidal state there are generally pretty obvious warning signs, which she obviously completely failed to notice, otherwise she would have interceded and done something to help him out before it got to that point.
oh_brother wrote:Yeah, it sounds even weirder when you put it like that. Someone can say "The game is an occult tool that opens up young people to influence or possession by demons" and act as if it is the others who are living in a fantasy land!
IMO that's just the sort of ideas that come out of someone who's operating on computations like "fun is bad", "creativity is evil", "artists are all immoral" or "imagination is delusion" and many other totally unhealthy thought processes.

Notice that such thought processes seem to tend towards comparing 2 or more completely unrelated things and saying the are exactly the same thing (anything is equal to anything else), or that all things of a certain category are exactly the same (broad generalization)? Since when does say, fun and bad have anything to do with each other, they are completely different concepts. How about saying that every single artist in the world is immoral? well, I happen to know artists personally such as my mom, and a singer who's working to become professional, for example, and most of them are among the most ethical people I know.

When I find anyone making broad generalizations or trying to convince me that 2 or more unrelated things are the same thing, my response is usually to simply break off contact with that person. I know that no 2 objects are the same, and that all people are unique and to me such statements are insane, so I choose not to stay around someone who's behaving like that. When such a person seeks to become a public figure in the media that can become very challenging, especially when the media is looking for crazy stories like that to sensationalize and sell more papers or get more viewers out of it, and truth, sanity and the lives and livelihoods of those being hurt by this be damned. Of course, that's why it's so important to weigh and evaluate each bit of info you come across to determine if it makes sense to you. That's how I choose to live. I'm not always successful at it and I do catch myself making such generalizations equalities or accepting/rejecting info on blind faith or whatnot, but I do work to live by those 2 things and always strive to do better at it every day.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Another thing some people do is judge a whole thing by one person - say there was one nutter who decided to go on a murderous rampage whilst loudly declaring "Raar! I am Darkwalker, the mighty warrior of Palandor!", and it turned out that was their character name in a DnD game they were playing so people would then decide "Omg all people who play DnD are murderous nutters who must be locked up" rather than "Oh wow, that guy had some issues - must've had some kind of psychosis in which he couldn't separate the imginary world form the real one, I hope he gets the right care and treatment for that".
I suppose some people want to blame the behaviour of others on stuff they think they can control (access to DnD, in this case), rather than face the fact that some people do have mental issues of whatever kind and which they may not be able to ever entirely deal with...and that it may be their fault that that person is having issues in the first place. DnD might be their only form of escape from a stressful life and taking it away just might push them even further into depression, eventually leading to suicide, so then the people who stopped them playing DnD blame the game instead because it was all they'd been doing recently, or whatever.
People are weird.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ameena wrote:People are weird.
Ain't that the truth!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Gambit37 wrote:
Ameena wrote:People are weird.
Ain't that the truth!
... the whole truth and nothing but the truth. :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

did somebody say weird...
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I think so...

That is rather strange though... why would someone say that...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

happy easter to those who celebrate it :) but seriously.. it's an excuse to eat chocolate.. who can't support that :D
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

same to you cows, yeah, the grandchildren were covered in chocolate, cute. I like the blood of Christ for Easter, great for celebrating something :lol:
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

you can always consume sweet chocolate with your wine, Chaos.

@Caws: happy Easter to you too, and happy chocolatiering too. :)