INN OF LOST SOULS: general chit-chat thread

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Re: INN OF LOST SOULS: general chit-chat thread

Post by Big Stan 426 »

I am on this thread now. Watched the Mayweather fight last nite. The fix was in. Other dude should have won.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

you can spew just about anything in this thread Stan
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

yup :)
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

TY fellas. Celebrating Cinco de Mayo. And doing house work. My DM1 should be here on Wed. :)
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

I really miss being in the being in the dungeon.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I'd also recommend you download Return to Chaos if you haven't already, there's dozens of custom dungeons available for it, enough to keep you dungeon crawling for the rest of the year, and Sauman's got 2 great dungeons close to release. I'm in the middle of beta testing them right now, and I can tell you they're great dungeons. Once the bugs are worked out they'll be even better.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Wonder when we'll have the dungeon: Inn of Lost Souls
Since Stan came here, there were lots of dust coming up. Now imagine the cellar... :D

Now Stan, if you want a bottle of wine - here's the key... and a longsword... and a helmet ;)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

;) it could be done, there is enough info in here Bit
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

That sounds like a great idea for a dungeon. An inn much like the Eagle's "Hotel California" you can check out of the inn any time you want, but you can never leave.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Good one SU. My game did not arrive yesterday. Hopefully today it will be delivered.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

My DM1 just arrived! I.G.I. (I'm going in) B-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Have fun!

Edit: If no-one else answered a previous question, the progression of the games is DM, CSB, DMII. Theron's Quest you can basically think of as a prequel, it feels more like DM/CSB so could be played before DMII. DM Nexus stands alone as 3D and also needs emulation. You could leave that for last as an evolution/change in the engine.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Enjoy! I forget what version you said you were getting, but I am sure they are all good. Give Chaos what he deserves.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

TY for the info Beowuuf. Oh_Brother, I am playing the SNES version. For the third time. Many years in between. I am very surprised to realize how much I missed playing DM. Watching the Spurs now. Go Los Spurs!
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

I truly hope I can beat DM w/o any cheats or walkthroughs. I love this game.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

About DM; unfortunately I cheated, using the maps published in ST magazine.
I am sure DM is doable without any cheat or help of any kind, I did so about CSB which is way more difficult. Mapping CSB was hell, in the beginning of the game, mapping looked impossible, I had many pieces of maps very hard to conect up together.
I tried recently to replay CSB. Even with the perfectly accurate maps I have saved from long ago, it was so hard to start, I gave up.
I used the CSBwin version which is, from what I read a perfect replica of the original. I wonder wether it is more difficult or if I am getting old :(

Good luck, play the games with no cheat, no spoiler, that is extremely rewarding, that's the way good games should be played.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

TY Terkio. By the way,we are getting old. Which is not such a bad thing. We no longer make the mistakes younger ppl make. :-)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

:) old, yeah, making a mistake now is less forgiving, we couldn't afford to make those mistakes now.

in the old CSB, I never used a map or cheats, I didn't find it hard at all, I beat in 3 days. I found it confusing, wasn't linear enough to really get the feel like the original which took me 2 1/2 weeks to beat, odd, then again I am a fighter, no running, I would save and then pull a kamikaze and go bezerk, the warrior in me.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I've always been more of the Ninja DM player, be quick and sneaky and make use of the hit and run tactics.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

OK Ya'll. I am on level 4 of DM1. Seem to know these levels by heart. Map making went out the window 3 days ago. I actually have a life and my bff came by earlier today and we had a smashing time. And tonight my Los Spurs play. Plus Big Stan does not dunguen crawl while inebreiated.:-) Peace out.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i'll have a drink to that Stan
keep your gor coin handy
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

R.I.P. H.R. Giger.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Had to go back to map making.Walking in circles. Finally leveling up my party. I have confidence in beating this game w/o help. I love DM.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Good luck Stan. When I joined these forums I had not played DM for ages, so I remember how much I enjoyed getting back into it. Actually, thinking back, one of my very first posts was about that topic (almost 5 years ago....God, where does the time go! :shock: )
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

O.O
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

TYVM Oh_Brother. Getting near the place where I gave up years ago. I have alot of spare time some days, and playing DM is perfect. Read your earlier posts and you are correct. It is a very special RPG.:-)
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

What does the way you play DM say about your personality ?
I remember a collegue at work who was proud of using poison cloud spells to make his way in DM through the worm level.
Very happy using poison at the "make him suffer, he is my prisoner".
I had a hard time to make my way at the worm level, dealing with them with sword and axe, it had not occured to me using poison.
Casting venom was indeed his way of life.
Are you more fighter, Ninja, Priest or Wizard ?
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Well Terkio, I always play as a fighter.And every D&D game I play, I am always a paladin. Demons Souls I am a soldier. Love magic but prefer hack and slash.
money
On Master

Post by money »

Hello all, I think it's been a while since my last post but had some time to kill and thought I would post a question for others to ponder - would appreciate your collective thoughts :)

So I (just 2 weeks ago) changed jobs after what has seemed like 4 years of putting jobs first, family 2nd and anything else last - hence my decision to move roles within the same company. So far it's everything I hoped for with my key ask from my new boss - an improved work-life balance. So it all sounds good but I have found that I have hit a bit of a wall and I've no idea why. Here is my quandary, I really want to play a game, I have hundreds on the PC, a brilliant PC I built just over a year ago that can play anything (including DM of course) but I can't actually seem to find, or choose, something to play. It's the same for the consoles I own (PS2, N64, Wii, NES).

What is strange is I really want to, well at least I think I do, but when I go to my folders on my PC, look at the console disc/cartridges I just well - look and look. It's been happening for days now and I'm wondering - have I just grown out of love with games? Is this a phase that will go in a few weeks? I want to try Legend of Grimrock, Skyrim, Xcom etc. but I just can't seem to find the motivation/desire/effort to open the up and play.

PS - when I had any spare time for the past 2-3 years I built complex spreadsheets and sql queries to provide data analysis (something our company lacks in terms of skills across my teams) so something I enjoyed and also was deemed favourable with senior and junior members alike - so very helpful and gave a great sense of achievement!

so - question, is this normal? has this happened to any of you? will the love come back or should I just go and find a new hobby??!?!?
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

@Terkio - I used to be mon ful ir all the way. After I joined this forum I realized that melee actually worked better for me. With ku potions when the going got tough.

@Money - welcome back! And congrats on the new role. I hope family life is going well.

As for falling out of love with games, it could be that you have not found one to grab you lately. I wen through a period (maybe 16 until 19) when I did not really get into any game, and I just stopped playing. Then I stumbled across Baldur's Gate, and the reasons why I loved games came back to me. Those 3 games you mentioned are the last 3 games I played, all very good.

Of course, it might just be that they don't do it for you any more!