Greetings from a newbie!

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
shamblingmound
Neophyte

Greetings from a newbie!

Post by shamblingmound »

Hi, First off, I'd just like to say what an awesome forum and website you guys have here, in that its keeping this old classic game alive after all these years. This is the largest forum/group dedicated to an rpg of the 1980's that I've seen. Very cool. I myself am a fan of the classic computer role playing game genre and spent many, many hours, maybe too many hours playing crpg's like "Pool of Radiance", "Champions of Krynn" "The Bard's Tale", "Might and Magic II" and had moved straight on to the Eye of the Beholder series and It seems I have passed by this gem of a game called (Dungeon Master) until now. So yep, I'm a newbie at DM. There's not really many new games that interest me nowadays as I prefer to stick with the old classics. Anyways cheers! Image

and happy adventuring! Image
Here! Catch this Magic Missle!
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

Hi and welcome :D

You're the opposite of me - I've been playing DM all these years and let most of the other classic RPGs pass me by, and now I've started playing them (I'm working my way through Pool of Radiance at the moment).

Ooh, to be coming to DM fresh though... what a treat!
shamblingmound
Neophyte

Post by shamblingmound »

heheh. Pool of Radiance is my favorite. Actually all of the "gold box" games were great. I'm looking forward to some good old fashioned fights with monsters deep down in the dungeons of "Dungeon Master" now. I wish game companies of today would make rpg's in the style of these old games. Now it seems its all about the latest + greatest graphics + I think sometimes they miss the point of a good strategic dungeon romp.
ian_scho
High Lord

Re: Greetings from a newbie!

Post by ian_scho »

shamblingmound wrote:..."Champions of Krynn"...
This is scary, I just downloaded "Champions of Krynn" onto my computer on Sunday. I don't know what drew me to it to be honest, but welcome dude!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Welcome shamblingmound! I also love all the Gold Box games, with Pool of Radiance probably being my favourite of them (though the keyboard interface is very annoying). It's great to see a new soul who hasn't played the best game ever yet! Have fun here with us crazy people! :D
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Welcome :)

I never really liked "The Bard's Tale." Something about it felt... well, just not as good. Maybe it was because I played DM first and got hopelessly biased. (I didn't like its "paper thin" walls either.)

Did you ever play Black Crypt way back then?
shamblingmound
Neophyte

Post by shamblingmound »

Actually had never heard of "Black Crypt". Seems it was for the Amiga. There's a freeware version that contains the first 2 levels for the PC. Maybe I'll try it out sometime.

+ as for "The Bard's Tale" it was the first crpg I ever played. First on an Apple IIe computer then again later with the DOS version.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Another welcome from me too. Hello! *waves*.

As Sabreman says, if you've never played Dungeon Master before, you're in for a treat! :-D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, welcome :D. We look forward eagerly to see how you get on with DM, and then to your complaining and moaning about dying repeatedly once you get onto CSB :D.
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Sophia wrote:Welcome :)

I never really liked "The Bard's Tale." Something about it felt... well, just not as good. Maybe it was because I played DM first and got hopelessly biased. (I didn't like its "paper thin" walls either.)

Did you ever play Black Crypt way back then?
O_o, Bard's Tale was definately a thing you could love too (if you played it before DM ofc - DM was then another milestone!!!). Was also my very first hack, when I replaced A: by C: to save the disc and play it from ramdisc :D

And hey, the Black Crypt was pure gold too!
I also loved EOB I and II, in III I stopped at the dungeon entry after the chemistry. Was pretty pissed that it comes that hard in the beginning...
And yes, Lands of Lore was a fine one too - but somehow - I managed that maybe too fast. That was not a great challenge.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Belated welcome to the forums!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

yeah, hello to all !
shamblingmound
Neophyte

Post by shamblingmound »

thanks for all of your welcomes! :D
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

Hello shambling, i'm the lurker in here, my DM-renaissance is already past again, but i still feel tied to this game. I mean, it's the best game i ever played. DM is flawless. Have fun playing it all of the community created dungeons as well.
Sophia wrote:I never really liked "The Bard's Tale." Something about it felt... well, just not as good.
Maybe the indirect and complicated interface. Since DM was my first game, i could never really play games which were more complicated like ultima or wizardry. Half of the clicks felt like wasted, where DM had an interface, which is direct, intuitive and quick even for today's standards.
Bard's Tale still was one of the few other rpgs i played for a longer time, and while never completing it, i surely burned 1000s of wights with my flame horns (there was a spawn point of 69 of them in a temple near the marketplace, the one with the password). Surely not DM, but still quite ok.
Wizor
Neophyte

Greetings!

Post by Wizor »

Hi and hello from another recently-joined DM & CSB veteran :)

Still own a couple of Amigas and try to play DM every now and then. It still gives the best feelings and memories from childhood.
Damn good game. *sigh* Wish i had more time to play :)

Did find out about the other DM clones just a while ago and it's really nice to see there's still people who liked and enjoyed the game as i did.

Did also play Black Crypt and EOBs until the end. Also Captive and it's sequel Liberation.

So much for the intro. Will write more later. Real-life calls and wants some food...
-W
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Yes, Welcome Wizor!
:P
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Welcome! 8)

It's always good to see more DM enthusiests join up.

8)
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Wizor wrote:
Still own a couple of Amigas and try to play DM every now and then.
oooooh you`re lucky then!!! if only I had Amiga now.. I could play CSB with the internal map.. (I got rid of my Amiga ages ago...) :roll:
anyway, welcome!!!!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Wizor
Neophyte

Post by Wizor »

Adamo wrote:Wizor wrote:
Still own a couple of Amigas and try to play DM every now and then.
oooooh you`re lucky then!!! if only I had Amiga now.. I could play CSB with the internal map.. (I got rid of my Amiga ages ago...) :roll:
anyway, welcome!!!!
Oh. Well any reason to why not use an Emulator? :)
-W