Snow!! :D

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Snow!! :D

Post by Ameena »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - the other day, we had snow :O. It was Thursday, late afternoon/early evening, settled and everything although there wasn't a huge amount. Snowed a little bit more yesterday morning but only lightly, then by early afternoon the sun had come out and it was all bright and sunny with a blue sky. It's pretty much all gone now except for a couple of small patches in the garden that don't get a lot of sun, and some nearby fields where I suppose the ground is colder because it's not surrounded by houses and stuff.
So yeah, I think that's probably us done for another several years, lol :P.
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I just returned from another half-day of skiing. Absolutely arctic conditions here, not too cold but lots of snow, very heavy snowing continues round the clock, no skiing tracks whatsoever, I'm finished and can barely walk. All side roads (both in the countryside and in the town) are more or less closed now for any traffic except skiing :wink: . I'm just going to make myself a big pot of cocoa, sip it on the sofa in front of the TV set and do precisely nothing else till evening. Now, this is what I call a proper winter. :P

I'm just afraid I'll have to climb on the roof of our house tomorrow to get the snow down.
Bit wrote:The high pressure zone always turns clockwise, low pressure counterclockwise.
But only in the Northern Hemisphere, of course. :wink:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Considering we were threatened with almost blizzard conditions, we got about millimetre of snow for all of ten minutes.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol yeah, ain't that always the case? They forecast almighty blizzards and all we get is a light dusting (if that) ;). Still seems to send the public transport into chaos, naturally...
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Lol... We really don't seem to cope very well with it in the UK, do we.
If it snows for half a day, the whole country seems to descend into chaos.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, except for the tiny little corner where I live which gets pretty much bugger all snow compared to everywhere else, apparently :P.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ameena, you're near me aren't you? (I live in Gravesend now). Gravesend seems to get a very weird micro climate -- on that snowy day we got several inches which caused brief chaos, but it had nearly all gone 24 hours later. I got absolutely drenched going out in it!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh cool, yes, that is fairly close to me - I'm over in the Medway area :). Sounds like we got similar results from our snow, though I didn't go out in it. Looking outside now, it's a bright and sunny day, although I imagine it may be fairly chilly out there. Doesn't look like there's any wind at all right now, though, so possibly not. But yeah, the micro-climate thing seems appropriate - see my post on the previous page about one time my dad went to work :D.
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Christmas is over, see you later snow.

Just entered January thaw, nearly two weeks of daytime temperatures just above freezing, it's cloudy all the time, damp and soggy. I miss the sun. I hear that February is supose to be very cold for us in Eastern Canada. It's one of those years. It's better than drought and forest fires like Australia has. No thanks. With six deserts it is not hard to understand that.

Living near the great lake Ontario and being on the N shore with prevailing winds from the W to WNW, we don't get a lot of snow. Our so called most accurate forcasting "The Weather Network" is NOT accurate, not even per day. It is awful. Their scales they use for the past thirty year records are skewed badly, the present line graphs and bar graphs are copletely fixed, lying towards GW. If one didn't know how to read these graphs you'd think we were contantly in the red becuase they always changes the graphs number value, incorrectly place the icons and the wording is fudged beyond belief. It is obvious why. Weather, being my favorite topic and have read a plethora of meteorlogical books and studied much data, I am disgusted at their reporting. not many people do the research to even care about it, just what the headlines say is all the matters to most people which is fine, but hardly enough to draw a fair conclusion. Nevertheless, I love meteorology.
...more than six years since Rasmus Do we got some rum in the cellar?
I got some ethanol in my cellar, warmer than hell
keep your gor coin handy
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

SitRep: I've just returned from another half-day of skiing. The conditions here are absolutely fantastic, we really haven't seen such a winter for years and I haven's skied so wonderfully for years - lots of snow, sunshine, almost no wind, temperature around 0°C during the day (-10 to -15 during night), tracks beautifully prepared - ideal. Hopefully the weather will hold for another week - fingers crossed! And I'm still waiting for my first fall this year. :mrgreen:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Some people love the snow, have not skied before, I'm afraid I might break a bone now. as far as I know, parts of EU are expected to see colder winters for some time, but don't count on it. Only winter activity I do is ice fish, in a warm hut. :mrgreen:
keep your gor coin handy