Snow!! :D

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Snow!! :D

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, Bromley is about 4 miles east of me!

Just looked outside again -- really big flakes now! I revise my estimate from 10-20cm to 20cm-30cm!
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Here in snow country (we got over 100 inches
last year) big flakes mean it will not snow much
longer.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Paul Stevens wrote:Here in snow country (we got over 100 inches
last year) big flakes mean it will not snow much
longer.
We lived in Rutland, Vermont one year, when the snow was so bad
we just bladed the snow to the end of the parking lot we used.
There was a basketball goal at the end of the parking lot.
The snow was piled almost to the rim for about 20 feet or more.

It was a great year for making snow forts and small houses. I remember cutting windows in one of them.
Did I mention it was C-C-COLD?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, after a whole night it turns out our snow has been a bit...crap. Trains are still running but at a different timetable - only one train every half-hour on my line, and they're all slow. But due to the time the train will be leaving, I'll get to work at the same time I usually do. If it all runs on time ;).
Of cours,e knowing my luck there'll then be some uber blizzard while I'm at work and I'll get stuck in Bromley all night or something :P.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You should have an uber-blizzard, as it's not stopped snowing here!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I haven't been out yet, but it looks like about 15cm fell last night. I was going to get up early but somehow slept through my alarm and have just got up - at 12:30pm! Kids are outside throwing snowballs so looks like it was still bad enough to close schools, which seems a bit ridiculous. As kids we used to walk 10 miles to get to school in snow much deeper than this. Everyone's so pandered to these days!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

one guy used to driving had to walk over an hour, and looked dead!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Actually, I just measured my old school trek on Google maps -- it was only 5 miles. Sure felt like ten though!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

MasterWuuf wrote:It was a great year for making snow forts and small houses. I remember cutting windows in one of them.
When I was a kid, we used to built snow forts every year, some of them were really huge with two floors and some 5 x 10 metres large. We used to pour them with water to make the snow freeze and make it stronger than stone. And then we were organising large battles to attack and destroy our enemy's forts! :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Omg I'm knackered.
Trains were running a special service today so for me that meant they were one every half an hour and all slow (ie stopping at almost every station 'tween Chatham and Bromley South). Got into work okay - train was slightly delayed but no biggy. For coming home, the train was due at eleven minutes past six with the next one not due till 41 minutes past, so I got permission to leave work five minutes early so I could be sure to be at the station on time to get that train without having to wait half an hour for the next one.
So of course, that train was delayed for ages. And then cancelled. Then the next train (41 minutes past) was about five minutes late. Then we were stopped just outside Swanley (a couple of stops down from Bromley South) for about 10-15 minutes 'cause there was a train stuck in Swanley station waiting for a crew or something. Anyway, we finally got underway againand it wasn't so bad after that - didn't stop for anything else (except normal stopping at stations, obviously). Then had the fun walk home and OMG there has been BIG SNOW here today! :D Well, big by my standards, anyway. Probably several centimetres (woo). Anyway, I managed to get home through that. Normally I get home at some time around 7:15-ish. Well, I got home at more like quarter past eight tonight. I really can't be arsed to do all that again tomorrow so I really hope the trains are fooked or something because for once I can't be arsed to go to work, lol. Well, that's now, of course, when it's 10pm and I'm all tired and stuff. Anyway, maybe it'll snow more tonight so they'll properly cancel all the trains and I can stay at home for a day. Or two ('cause then it'll be a four-day weekend :D).
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Next wave of snow in germany is already announced for the weekend.
we got pretty frosty nights - down to -17°. About -8° here right now.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Here's a current picture of the UK from space. Very cool (pun intended!)

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/gall ... 50.1km.jpg
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Jan, STRONGER THAN STONE? How it's possible? here if you buld a snow fort only the biggest of them can stand if someone starts hitting them. And even if you puor water on it to freeze it, it can still be easily taken down with iron spade or a sledgehammer, or some else heavy tool. If it were as hard as rock, it would have been impossible to harm it with spade, and even sledgehammer would have had difficulties.

How do schools get closed if there's too much snow? There are -not sure about name in english, "aura-auto"-'s to clear the snow out of the roads to people can get to jobs and school, and at least here pupils can stay in at breaks if it's too cold outside.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Snow ploughs are the terms for it. Funnily enough, the ones here cleared the main roads. And pushed all the snows into side roads, drives, and into parked cars. Woohoo!

Especially around here, the town centre doesn't hold many people, so all the outer areas have small b-roads that aren't car friendly, and all the actual industrial parks don't get ploughs going through their central drives. We ahd a flat bed truck trapped as we left, and I last saw my boss slipping and sliding with his car, though he seemed to be leaving.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It's snowing here again, though not very hard at the moment. Come on snow, I want a three-day weekend! :D

Post by Duckman »

???? They DO plough sideroads except the smallest and most remote ones, actually even walkways. And if there are sideroad which can't be dogded they pile the snow somewhere else instead of slinging it everywhere. I have seen. State of your countries is poorer compared to the amount of people I quess... We're kinda spoiled.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Depends on where you live. If you are somewhere like Finland or Canada then the snow is such a common occurrence that the authorities will have lots of equipment. I lived in Boston before - even with snow piling 6 feet high, cars invisible, etc. the roads and trains were still fine.

But in Ireland and the UK heavy snow and prolonged freezing are sufficiently rare that the governments cannot justify spending millions just on the off-chance we will have a freak weather occurrence.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Finally, we have heavy snowing here, in the highland. It's -4C, and since the morning we've got about 15 cms of new snow! Still snowing! Wow! I'm looking forward to my first skiing this year! Now, it's A winter! :)
Gambit37 wrote:Here's a current picture of the UK from space.
Wow! Amazing! Stunning! :)
Duckman wrote:Jan, STRONGER THAN STONE?
OK, I exeggarated it a bit. It's maybe stronger than the softest stones. :)
oh_brother wrote:Depends on where you live.
Exactly. In Prague, they have a "catastrophe" when they have 5 cms of snow, because they're not prepared for that, not used to that, and don't have enough ploughs. In Hungary, trains stop going after 1 cm of snow. But in the Highland where I live, it's quite normal that we have 50 or more cms of snow for a few months in the year - we have enough machines and we are used to it, so the life goes on normally. Only when there's too much snow, the roads are closed and used only for skiing - then it's fantastic! Actually, I have a few friends who commute to work on skis in winter. And when I want to work in our woodland in winter, I also have to get there by skiing, because there's no other way.
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

Heidenai!

It's been snowing the whole night and most of the day. Compared to the rest of Germany (or GB) we still have very little tough. :-/ (maybe 6-7'')
Had some nice drifts on the cartways in the wineyards where the snow is still virgin.
All the roads are manteled with snow. People can't drive!
Yesterday has been a day in the stable, so I've been 'horsing around' with one of my big teddybears and made a little video.
(6:30 minutes and probably boring for non-horsie folks)

Hoping it will be a lot more of the white stuff the next days. The forecast says so, but we will see.
Murphy says we will drown in snow here on Monday, because that's when work will start again. :-/
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Apparently we're due more snow over the next few days, I think. And tonight. It's snowed a bit during the day today, but nothing major.

Post by Duckman »

It's again warmer, just -18C. And still calm. There's some snow trough.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It's been snowing pretty much all day here - even on the numerous occasions it's looked as though it's stopped, it has still been snowing, just tiny little particles of it. And it's still snowing now :D.
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I can report my first snowman this year! :)

Probably as a result, I caught a terrible cold, so I probably won't be able to go to work on Monday. Yes! :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Heh, being in the cold doesn't give you a cold - you will have caught that a few days before you actually started showing symptoms ;).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

LOL, of course, you're right, Abeeda. Adyway, I've got a gross cold, so I guess I wod't be able to get to work od Bodday. :wink:
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

That's why we use much longer shovels at home! :D
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Ui, that's a lot!
We don't have that much here, which makes things dangerous:
You come around a curve when the road was good, but there the wind did blow - surprise!
And the continuous fresh snow is melting to a very slippery ground all the time.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@PaulS: Wow, I haven't ever seen snow that high in the UK, even 20 years ago in the highlands!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, bloody hell...it would be brilliant if we had that here :D. My dad (who grew up in Loughton, Essex) told me the other day about some time when it snowed lots. I think it was around 1962 or so. Due to the drifting of the snow, the houses on one side of his road had so much of the stuff piled up that they were using their first-floor windows instead of their front doors. I think my dad lived on the other side of the road - I remember him telling me they built a snowman so tall he was looking in my dad's bedroom window on the upstairs floor ;).
Meanwhile, here, the snow's gone all crappy and melting - there's still quite a lot out there but roads are mostly clear (less so the back roads like mine but the main roads are pretty much fine now), trains are all fine - bleh. I'm guessing it's probably mostly over now, and we're not gonna get any more biggy-snow now.
But, you know, I won't complain too much if the weather goes ahead and proves me wrong on that piont ;).