Snow!! :D

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Snow!! :D

Post by Ameena »

Well, that's certainly not something I was expecting to see when I opened my curtains about twenty minutes ago! Ooooh, it's coming down a bit harder now :D. I wonder how hard it has to be for them to cancel the trains...
Anyway, since we haven't seen snow in these parts for errm...well, at least a year, I reckon, I thought it was noteworthy - I know other parts of the UK have already had some within the last couple of months, but I wondered if anyone else had had a sudden surprise fall :).
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Same here.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Well... I'm from Australia, so I don't really ever see snow(there are a very few exceptions). Good to know that someone else is having all of it... LOL :D

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

same in Paris !
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I got up very late, so most of it has now gone :-(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

too cold to walk in to work, but woohoo to white new year
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

It's my pleasure to report we have about 15 cm of snow here (measured vertically). If only it wasn't so cold - this snow is not suitable for making snowmen...

But the weather forecast is even -22C at Wednesday night :shock:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

we've had surprise snowfall for the past few weeks.. it has not snowed like this since 1999 from what I recall.

However, since it's been going on for a few weeks now, the people here are used to it, so everything is open again.. it was just over the holidays that everyone freaked out and things weren't open because they didn't know how to get around.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I haven't been out today, but if I had I wouldn't have been surprised to see everything stopped and closed: and that's with less than 1cm of snow that melted wihthin a couple of hours.

Totally laughable in this country the way we deal with 'bad weather'. I have no idea how we built an Empire!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Maybe because a large part of the empire was in the tropical zone?

Maybe because in these times, the people weren't dependent on cars and aircrafts and telephone/electric/optic cables?

Or, maybe, this is why you've lost it...

... just thoughts... don't worry... I sometimes wish... if only our country had been a part of THIS empire, at least for a while... but "we can't even find a decent culture to be colonised by..." :?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, nothing was delayed/cancelled/closed round these parts, as far as I know - trains were running fine and no shops were shut or anything (damn ;)). It was a bit slippy here and there but that was about it. Most of it had melted (and dried up!) by the time I was walking home, apart from a few slippery patches.
Oh well, that's it for about another year then, I suppose ;).
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

We had our first snow in about 10 years, two or three weeks ago, which amounted to about 1/2 an inch. It was gone by noon.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

There's still some left this morning. Hopefully the slippery patches are gone, but...well, it's not like the weather's gonna have got any warmer between about 7pm last night and 9am this morning, is it? ;)
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

ours is a nice thick layer of slush as the rain comes down down down.

You see the snowbanks that were 4 feet high are now slush about 3.5 feet high.. you need a wet suit now to get around :S

booo!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Around here it rained a bunch and then promptly dropped below freezing while there were still large pools of water everywhere... so there is ice everywhere and has been for weeks. :roll:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

We've had no more precipitation but the weather's still really cold, so what hasn't melted (albeit not much) is pretty slippy.
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

-20° C the last two nights here - that's certainly unusual. It also prevents the snow from monday from melting.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

It dropped below freezing in a few places in the UK for the last few days. Cue half the schools shutting. We really are useless!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I know how that is, same happens here. We have no actual snow plows, they are trucks with a plow put on the front of it, and there are so little of them it takes a very long time for anything to be cleared, and to top it off, they covered all the sidewalks with the snow from the streets so there is no where for pedestrians to walk either.. so people are walking in the street surrounded by cars with no snow tires and no salt on the roads.. it's surprising we haven't had more deaths recently.. :S
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Freezing fog outside...very atmospheric and moody...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Yes... also largest full moon of the year. I went to the pub earlier (ahem) and the streetlights were out. The moon cast a great shadow once your eyes acclimatised. No wind at all, but a solid frost, and the air felt dry to me. Probably minus 6.

I think we will get some good snow falls and harsher nights in the coming weeks. Like it used to be ;-). Except our schools never shut down back then...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, I've woken up to a winter wonderland, although there is still a mist/heavy cloud in the air.

I guess we're getting our belated white Christmas!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Outside here it's (presumably, as I haven't been out in it yet) still very cold. It was foggy last night when I went home (which took aaaages because there was a problem with the trains, bleh...still, I'd rather be stuck in a train than on the platform waiting for it in this weather, even if I did get a sore arse from sitting on the floor 'cause there wre no seats :P), but it looks pretty clear now. It's kinda cloudy and there are still a few teeny-tiny patches of icy-snowy stuff here and there, but as to whether we'll be getting any moe actual snow...meh, I dunno :P.
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

couple weeks ago Portland was hit with snow.. the worst ever recorded. I had fun, i worked graveyard at the pdx international airport with the 3000+ people sleeping all over I still craved more snow. But I guess i need to go someone else and not whine about the lack of snow. Happy for those who enjoyed it, sad for those that caused alot of troubles. And glad I could play with it!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey, guess what - it's snowing here again! Started maybe a couple of hours ago and is still going...and settling! I wonder what it'll be like tomorrow...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

A few tiny specks drifted across my window, but nothing has started here yet. No idea how cold it is outside, I have my windows closed for a change!

Still, there is a snow storm warnign, so I fully expect a winter wonderland and late people tomorrow :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Snow!! :D

Post by beowuuf »

Still just whisps in the wind! Very cold though...

Edit: The snow is getting more, though still whispy. I reckon a winter wonderland is very probable tomorrow
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Must be a couple of inches deep on our driveway right now! yay, I'm out for snowballs in the morning, anyone wanna play? :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Woohoo! No work today :D.
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

2 hours and half to come at work by car... i cannot sit anymore today !
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II