Snow!! :D

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Re: Snow!! :D

Post by Jan »

T0Mi wrote:a formerly beautiful crafted sculpture
Who's ever heard of a modest artist? :roll: :mrgreen:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

still insulted that we got no snow this year, and now to add insult to injury. I've gotten a horrible head cold which has laid me to waste this weekend.. no fluffy white stuff to look out the window at and say.. "it was worth it" .. :P
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I hope you're feeling better, Cows!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

We've been getting more snow here! Not huge amounts - just a kind of fairly light dusting on the tops of cars and stuff. My train was about half an hour late this evening coming home from work due to "adverse weather conditions" so it must've been snowing somewhere between Ramsgate/Dover and Victoria enough to delay the trains on my line :P.
Would be nice if, tomorrow, the trains were delayed enough that I couldn't go to work, but that the snow wasn't quite bad enough, by the evening, to stop me (or anyone else) from getting to club for Dark Heresy :twisted:.
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

Trantors snow melting curse has been dispelled!

IT IS BACK !

20 cm of fresh white stuff covering everything.
Couldn't go to work, no marathon work week, but heck, the year is still young and the future is... well, white?
It is just beautiful! This must be the longest and most 'whitey' winter since I don't know when.

YAY SNOW !
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

cowsmanaut wrote:still insulted that we got no snow this year, and now to add insult to injury. I've gotten a horrible head cold which has laid me to waste this weekend.. no fluffy white stuff to look out the window at and say.. "it was worth it" .. :P
so you're really 'snowmansout' that year :cry:
but be assured, after being mistreated with that sculpture, we'll have never snow again here!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

So it's getting warmer, but we still have about 50 cms of old snow here in the Highland. Perhaps we should send it to Vancouver. :wink:

A family of Grey Partridges (Perdix perdix - the ca 30 cm long hen-like wild birds, sometimes hunted for food or sport) has accommodated in our garden. They dug a hole in the snow and they're living there now. Obviously, they have signed some kind of pact with our dog, because he leaves them there. He just comes there from time to time, checks if everything is OK, and goes away. They were lurking around for a few weeks before, eating stuff from bellow the bird-feeder and on the compost, and now they've settled in the center of the garden. I'm really interested what they will do in spring - will they leave, or do they think it's their permanent home now? :)
dayday2008
Journeyman

Post by dayday2008 »

Dont panic or get excited, whatever the case may be, there is no snow to report!
I just wanted to say how cool I think this thread is. I spent all night reading it and was then too tired to make a post!
It's amazing to see how the cold weather affects people the world over. Whether it's Gambit going for walks and building little crappy snowmen or Jan getting more snow than he can deal with or Cowsmanaut getting none at all, the snow seems to bring joy and disruption to us all. :) :(
I must say how envious I am of Ameena's days off due to the snow, lucky cow :wink: , I wish it were like that in my job but apparently we can still prune trees and shrubs in the snow! We do some work and then play alot and get paid for it so it's not all bad I guess. :D
This winter gone has probably been the worst i've seen in over a decade! I live in Teesside in the northeast of England and earlier this year I heard someone mention that the North Sea had frozen over along the coast! THATS PRETTY COLD!!
It's still quite cold even now when the sun isn't out 8) but the freezing weather should be gone till December.
I dare say it's certainly spring now as my Hawthorns are begining to show signs of green, Willows are ready to flower and Hazel buds have already opened! Primrose is doing well, Daffodils aren't quite there yet and Snowdrops are still out so things are moving slowly!
Thats enough from me, over to you MR. Titchmarsh! :D
Revolutionary Greetings!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually, while still not warm warm, there was some brief sun that felt warm. We might actually be heading for spring!

I know I can see now if I don't leave work too late!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, it does seem to have warmed up a bit over the past few days now. I'm sure it was cold for longer this Winter than it has been on previous ones - I normally only wear my coat if it's really really cold, and I wore it loads of times these past few months.
Oh well, looks like this may be it for snow (at least, in my little area of the world) till the end of the year or thereabouts ;).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

It's getting warmer here very fast. We got about 20 or 30 cms of new snow last weekend, but most of it has already melted (although it's still white outside - about 10 cms of old snow) and today it was 15°C - so, yeah, the Spring is finally coming! :D
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

It's almost 19 degrees Celsius in Louisiana.

I don't miss the snow, no I don't. :shock:
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You know what they say about warm fronts - you get rain afterwards :( Lots and lots of rain out there. Still, at least the wandering book (Jan will know what I mean) got me out into the sun at lunchtime!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It was sort of very lightly drizzling when I came home just a few minutes ago. It's not particularly cold out and there's a bit of a breeze blowing so I'd say it's definitely warmed up outside - it's nearly 11:30pm here :).
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

That stuff is back again.
And it wrecked my left hand last night pretty good, not realizing that under it was pure ice.
That delays all - and dont ask about my boss , even that it happened at work. :(
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh we had tons a couple of weeks ago - I only worked Monday that week, 'cause after that the snow hit (on Monday night) and my train line was buggered till some time time on Saturday - I'm currently working Monday-Friday soooo that meant six days off in a row if you count the weekend. Ohh tragic :D.
But it's practically all melted now (there's still a bit round the edge of fields and stuff I go past on the train, and in a few places where it's been piled up quite thickly where it's been shovelled out of roads or whatever). My friend got a white birthday (hers was 30th of November, the Tuesday when it first snowed), but do I get one? Pffft...looking out the window it's a bit icy but not a single flake of snow :P. Well, people have been saying it's supposed to snow tomorrow, so maybe I'll get a late white birthday, lol ;).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, that's bad, Bit. :( I hope your hand will be alright as soon as possible. I also had a terrible fall today morning after a few steps out of the door, but nothing serious happened. I fell into snow and looked like a snowman. :)

Happy Ameena! Lucky Ameena! :)

In the highland, we have about 70 or 80 cms of snow now. It's been snowing for about one week now and the forceast... kind of... forecasts more. I'm starting to dislike the snow, especially because I'm more and more worried about the roof of our house. The temperatures are dropping and it should be about -20C at Saturday and Sunday night. Yuck! In Prague, there's only about 10 cms of snow, but here it's already a 'calamity', LOL! :D
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Yes, sorry to hear that Bit. Get well soon.

I am hoping for a snow-free Christmas...too many people need to get flights, etc., and I don't want to be trapped in my flat either. And since we are not prepared for snow, 10 cm is certainly enough to bring the country to a standstill.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

@Ameena:
So the birthday is today?
Well then - Happy Birthday!

@Jan:
Beware Thursday!

@oh_brother:
not prepared but in danger to get some? Spain perhaps? News say it's 22°C in Sevilla.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

^^I wish it was Spain. 22°C sounds perfect right about. No, it is Ireland. Actually we don't normally get that much snow, winters are relatively mild due to the Gulf Stream and being close to the sea. Just last January and this November/December we have a lot by our standards (probably nothing compared to German winters).

But any prolonged snow just knocks us out. It was the same when I lived in the UK - a few centimetres and travel becomes very tough. But when I lived in Boston I saw more snow than I had seen before in my life and still life trudged on as normal, more or less.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You think we'd be used to bad weather, or at least after last year, yet once again we seem to be taken aback and huge areas of the UK are getting blocked out with each wave of snow. Let's see what happens this weekend. Worse, what happens next weekend when I do a London - Aberdeen trip! :(
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

that volcano probably made things worse. parts of UK could see a prolonged period of colder than usual climate, so those scientists mention about cooling the earth some. we'll see
keep your gor coin handy
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

This is the most snowy December in Germany for ages. And last night we had -16° C...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Apparently it's gonna snow here again later - people have been saying all week it's gonna snow again today and I checked the MET Office webby again a couple of mins ago and it does indeed now finally say (when it didn't yesterday) that apparently it's gonna stat of rainy but then change to snow in the evening :).
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

brrr, it's been cold. many of the weather patterns have gone retrograde this year, stalling the prevailing weather currents. thanks to all these satelites these days. i need to get a new shovel.
keep your gor coin handy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

There are a few flakes now falling in South London... ground is wet though, so if temps don't drop, it probably won't settle.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It turns to flakes of snow around six here. It had been so wet earlier just like London so I agree it shouldn't settle, but we shall see...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Apparently it snowed a bit earlier but nothing huge and it hasn't settled - I was indoors so didn't notice. But when I came out of club (at about 11pm) the car park was a bit slippy so it's pretty bloody cold out there ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It is freezing outside (came back from Tron midnight showing) but it is just frosty out, most of the snow is gone.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It's bloody freezing now - I haven't been out yet today but I'm going in half an hour. There seem to be delays on the train lines here and there but I'm not sure if/where it's snowed or how badly if it has. There appear to be delays on the Ashford line, anyway, but that's not my line. According to the live update thingy on the NRE website, the next train due at my station is currently 20 mins late - the train I get isn't for over a hour yet but you never know...