Snow!! :D

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Snow!! :D

Post by Gambit37 »

How can there be such delays already!? Its' crazy. It's just a light dusting. This country really is in a sorry state. If we had a "can do" attitude 100 years ago, the prevailing attitude these days seems to be "Whatever..."

EDIT: OK, it's properly snowing in Crystal Palace now. Darn, I need to go shopping, no food in the house!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

It's so bloody cold here that today I had to wear my long skiing termo underpants (unterhosen) under my jeans when going outside - it hasn't happened since I was a child (remember one of the M*A*S*H episodes?)!

I went to my dentist and she said she couldn't fix my tooth today because it was so cold and it may go wrong when I go out.

I went to the bank and they said they couldn't do what I wanted them to do because the internet connection was down due to the weather.

Snowing is only mild, but we have about 90 cms of older snow. Not good.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The "proper" snow lasted all of 5 minutes here. Nothing to really write about. Jan, it sounds like you get *real* weather!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

it snowed here, and vanished a day later.. yet all over they are talking about how this is going to be the coldest winter in the last 50 years... so far I call it BS.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It's snowed a bit today and settled, but it's not remotely deep, just a thin coating. Apparently it's supposed to snow properly later tonight and some time tomorrow. Will have to wait and see :D.
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Ameena wrote:It's snowed a bit today ...
This may result in red snow if bit crashes hard and gets a bloody nose.
Read this how to create more colors:
http://www.scienceline.org/2007/04/ask- ... loredsnow/

I have to quote:
"the yellow-colored snow that fell in Siberia was not due to algae, but another natural phenomenon."
erm - what's new? :P
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Wait till it snows a bit in Jan. :wink:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

About 6 inches here now. Snowed earlier today but has stopped. Hopefully will clear pretty quick, I'm not in the mood for it this time, and I want to make sure I get away for Christmas!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Snowed lots earlier, when I got up around midday - stopped some time around half one or so, and I don't think it's snowed since. But that was a lot came down in just a couple of hours - wonder if there'll be any more over the weekend.
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Does somebody know how much snow dropped in Sweden?
We slowly should think about sending a rescue team to dig out Rasmus...
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

OK, count me in the team. My task will be to carry a keg of rum. :)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Bit wrote:And it wrecked my left hand last night pretty good, not realizing that under it was pure ice.
How's you hand, Bit? I hope it's much better now!
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

It's good enough to type again - but that's it. This will take some weeks. At least it doesn't hurt when relaxed.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Jan wrote:OK, count me in the team. My task will be to carry a keg of rum. :)
He's back alive - that means, he doesn't need the rum!
So Jan... :idea: :twisted:
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Fifteen men on the dead man's chest... Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum! :mrgreen:
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Bit: Glad your hand is better. Copied the 'pink snow' picture. That was amazing and new.
Jan: Sure, go ahead, hog the juice.

It rained yesterday. I guess we'll go another year without snow. That's one of the many reasons I love it here.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

It was relatively warm here during Christmas (up to +5C) and most of the snow melted, but now it's getting cold again (it's -10C here now, and it's only afternoon). I've got a bad feeling about this.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Jan wrote:Fifteen men on the dead man's chest... Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum! :mrgreen:
Jan.. THAT IS MY RUM YOU ARE DRINKING!!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I always said Rugby was a dangerous game

Icicles here in Aberdeen! It's thawing then freezing then thawing, and there's snow staying. It's like a winter wonderland that looks great, unless the street you are driving or waking on hasn't been cleared :D
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Winter wonderland indeed. Last week, I crashed into a traffic sign with my car because the streets are icy as hell. Nobody injured at least.
In two days, I have to drive 160 km to my girlfriend who currently resides with her parents for her birthday, and then we'll drive the 400 km back to Berlin. And no sign of anything melting or the streets getting cleared... Really, after last winter where we had loads of snow and ice until the end of March, you would assume that the authorities have learned something. In April, you could hear "Now we are prepared, we'll never get into such a situation ever again." - yeah, and now it's worse than last year... *sigh*
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Be careful, Trant. And lucky miles! :D
Trantor wrote:Last week, I crashed into a traffic sign with my car
But... but... but... it's forbidden to crash into traffic signs in Germany! :) I hope you applied voluntarily for a fine in the local police office! :) And, by the way, was it this "Beware of icy road" sign? :roll: No, I'm joking, of course I'm happy nobody was injured.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

This week has brought a lot of snow into our highland - more than we've seen for a couple of years, maybe for five years. It's damn cold, too (-12°C, 11AM), and more snow is forecasted, but now the sun is shining and it's a proper winter atmosphere we haven't seen here for years. :P I intend to go skiing this afternoon - all I have to do is put on my ski in our backyard and go! Woohooo! :P

(I've got the old good 75mm Nordic Norm ski binding, so it's like the Wrights Brothers vs Elon Musk, or, more precisely, DM vs Starcraft VXXIII or whatever, but meh :D )
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

-12? Brrrr!
As I type this it's +10C here (north of England), so not a hint of the white stuff. Foggy though!
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
RIPclass
Neophyte

Post by RIPclass »

Here in Rome the weather has been pretty cold too! A freezing wind ( Tramontana ) has been tormenting me and my friend yesterday while we were going shopping for the first day of sales... How comes England has better weather than Italy? Here it's 4°, I have to wear a super thick jumper and a hat INdoor!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Strangely warmer, though this is not typical... But it's probably due to the heavy cloud cover (which IS typical). Rainy too!
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Been cold here in Ontario Canada for most of the last 10 years, one had not much snow, the other was warm. This sports a classic winter, the omega lows have had short bursts of arctic air giving lots of moisture, both snow and rain. expect a lot of pot holes this year. Our driveway was lifted up from main pipe burst, looked like a water falls, tore up much of our fairly new driveway. in 2004 we had ice quakes it was that cold.
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Wow, this thread's not been used for a while - over six years since the last post prior to Jan's post yesterday :O. No snow here, surprise surprise :P. Currently got clouds and rain and it seems fairly chilly. But the weather here seems to have just kind of evened out to give us roughly the same kind of stuff all year round - some cloudy (with or without rain) and some sunny days, temperature apparently randomly picked from a list of temperatures but generally warmer in the summer months and colder(ish) in the winter ones. Where I live (southeast England), we haven't had proper snow for about three years now :P.
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Are you sure you want that snow Ameena? Some parts of EU are getting a blast of winter, also read that system patterns have changed in the region, England expected to be cool for years to come. Weather is unpredictable, we'll have to wait and see. Vancouver BC Canada has had a fierce winter, trout lake for example froze for the first time in 20 years according to the WN. I have to admit I want BC to freeze, they've been rubbing it in about the weather for too long.
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

However bad the weather gets in the rest of the UK, the little corner of England in which I live seems to be the most sheltered, even down to the part of the town I live in - several years ago my dad made the two-ish mile journey to work, walking to the bus stop just down the hill and then getting the bus as normal - it was pretty cold but that was about it. Then he got to work and found that hardly anyone was there so he asked where they were and the response was that they couldn't make it in because of the snow. Which my dad had no idea about, even though at least a couple of those people lived within a mile or so of our house (in the other direction to where my dad worked) :O.
The day it snows is cool, because the snow is all crunchy and fresh beneath your feet. The day after it snows is horrible, because by then it's had a day to be walked on/driven over by a whole load of people and then frozen overnight into a lethal ice rink :P.
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Ameena wrote:...Where I live (southeast England), we haven't had proper snow for about three years now :P.
That's the same here in Germany, but the last days we finally got snow again.
That happens when the air over Iceland has high pressure, and over the Azores low. The high pressure zone always turns clockwise, low pressure counterclockwise. This sucks in the Russian (continental) air to Europe - and this is of course really cold, and the distance between southeast England and Germany is pretty small for that.
If then the warmer (maritim) air is able to bring a lot of water, we can get a lot of snow.

...more than six years since Rasmus :shock: :shock: Do we got some rum in the cellar?