what's in your garden

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

what's in your garden

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

hehe, it's funny you say that. i eat many weeds from my garden, just not from the grass, sometimes i pick field mushrooms across the road, but not to often cause of the magots they sometimes have. iv'e yet to find one of those real lucky mushroom faery rings or is that fairy rings. as for the magic types, i do my own alacubenses
keep your gor coin handy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Re: St.Patricks day

Post by cowsmanaut »

clover and dandylion leaves are usually good. Dandylion is a bit bitter, while clover is quite sweet. we have clover and mint growing in the yard here.. and have a herb garden just sprouting in our indoor garden.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

awesomes.. i love gardening myself too. grow vegetables in the backyard mostly, flowers in the front, hmm, i might have a shot here..

yeah, gardening is a lot of fun, do you grow veggies too
keep your gor coin handy
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, another gardener on the forums! Welcome! :)

This is a very nice and well kept garden! We have a much larger garden (perhaps, as I can judge from the photo), but not so nice and more "extensively" kept. We also have about 15 fruit trees in the garden, and a greenhouse.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

lucky your are jan, have a greenhouse!!!, i'll one day get a place that has some room for one, my backyard is only 50 feet wide, so my veggy garden is 50x15
i find it enough to take care of as it is, heh, i love it though. i wished i had a greenhouse though for winter fun but then i would not find the time to do any work on EoC. i think i have a front garden shot
keep your gor coin handy
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, that's so nice and well kept - kept with a lot of patience and effort and time and love! Every inch square has its use! Well done! :)

We have the greenhouse because we live in a highland where there's relatively cold weather - we grow tomatoes and peppers and these things in the greenhouse, because you can't grow them outdoors here. I'll send some photos later, if I can. Erm, may I ask you where are you from?

Oh, and perhaps we should start a "gardening thread", not to spoil the St. Patricks one.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Re: what's in your garden

Post by cowsmanaut »

there, just split it so it's not longer OT :P Now we can talk gardens all we like :)

I myself would love to garden a bit more, but we have only a tiny bit of space to work with and limits to what we can get away with due to the fact we are renting. The mint I hadn't even planted myself, I just recognized it and began using it, the herb garden is inside since we have to be sure to really wash the mint as is, since neighbourhood dogs wander by and pee on it .. and then let the dogs fertilize the lawn and wander off.. really nice people here :P

Anyway, I'd love to have more to work with, my father and step mom have a great garden, she does the flower thing while he does the food thing. Though he hurt his back and hasn't done any veggies this year, but I think they still have the herbs :) I used to live near a corn field with cows and the whole thing, there were some strawberry fields around too where we could go pay and pick our own basket of strawberries. It was great, even found the odd wild strawberry which are really tiny and barely worth eating but tasty all the same. ahh yes that was fun.

The only thing we have growing beyond that is the odd potted plant.. our hanging plant is doing great but the two ones in pots seem to suffer somehow getting brown bits often and balding on the side away from the sun. They are still alive though.. just a matter of remembering to water them.. which is where having an outside garden is better, as you only need to remember when it's getting too dry.. which in BC is rare.. we always have rain within a reasonable amount of time and as such have so much wild greenery everywhere anyway :)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I don't have a garden and am not anywhere close to being able to afford a house with one. But I'm not much of a gardener anyway, so I'm not sad.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

cowsmanaut wrote:used to live near a corn field with cows and the whole thing, there were some strawberry fields around too where we could go pay and pick our own basket of strawberries. It was great, even found the odd wild strawberry which are really tiny and barely worth eating but tasty all the same. ahh yes that was fun.
Ah, strawberries! I just love strawberries with sugar and milk! We have a lot of strawberries in our garden, a "field" about 10 x 2 metres large. When it's the main "harvest season" for strawberries, we harvest about one bucket a day. We're not able to eat so much, so we give a part of it to friends and relatives, and we "mash" the rest with sugar and put it into our large freezing machine for winter. :D

Unfortunately, strawberries are very labour-intensive, you have to spend a lot of time taking care of them - but it's worth it. And - yeah - the blackbirds love strawberries too, so it's fun to watch them eating their own portion. :)

We also have some of those small "wild" ("forest") strawberries - not in a bed or field, but simply scattered in the lawn. But we have to wash them before eating because of our dog. :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

hoho, i wish i had the capacity to speak, i've been so occupied with my father/mother, tanks guys, i'll get back to you, i love gardening, make a new thread, thank.....u....all
wish there were more dungeon masters
keep your gor coin handy
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

We grow a few herbs in the garden.

As for fairy rings, used to get them in the lawn!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

heh, did it affect your luck any? what kind of shroom were they? i get haymakers, ahhh, shaggy manes, and field mushrooms once in a while. i have dieing birch trees in that are attracting the shrooms.
i love shrooms in sauces, raw, just about anyway, as long as they are washed, hehe
keep your gor coin handy
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

This weekend I was pruning the willows in our garden. We have two willows and they grow like crazy, so every spring I have to cut most of their branches to control their growth somehow. I always get a huge amount of pretty useless biomass - it can hardly be burnt in a stove, but it's good for making camp fires in the garden during parties etc.

I also prepared our greenhouse, and started to plant tomatoes, peppers and lettuce in it. The nights are still cold, so we have to cover the plants in the greenhouse with this special thin white blankets. We used to have a stove in the greenhouse, but it proved to be useless and not worth the effort (you know, getting up at 4AM to make a fire in the stove in the greenhouse is far beyond my gardening eagerness).
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

is that pussy willow, cause they sure are a sign of spring. use to pick them for my mother as a child, my neighbor wasn't too impressed, hehehe, but as you say, they grow back twice as much. a greenhouse is great for starting and hardening your plants, you're luck Jan. i won't be growing any tomatoes in the ground this year, need to let the soil change up with another veggi, had trouble growing them the last few years from not enough sun, too much rain, and cold summers which caused a few different types of diseases that are now in the soil :( not sure what i'm doing this year, pumpkins, zuchinni, cucumber, not sure.
keep your gor coin handy
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

They were the classic fairy ring mushroom, the scotch bonnet.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

scotch bonnet, heh, sounds like a pepper, but i don't know mushrooms that well. there are so many of them.
keep your gor coin handy
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

This is going to be a gardening day for me today. My task today is: to sow pea plus to build the structure around it made of wood and strings that supports the pea during it's growth; to sow radish (I just love radish!); to prepare other beds for the future; and to re-paint our bird-feeder (red). It's a beautiful day, so it's really going to be very nice work. I'll take my dog (who just loves digging) and my green pants and my yellow hat, and go in the garden. :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Yup, it's gardening time. Just used the tiller and turned over the soil, after years of very wet cold springs, we finally got a warm dry one. I'm not complaining about global warming like everyone else. I need some heat, heh. Been busy the last week just cleaning up the yard. The clover patch is still there thank goodness. I'll never try and reduce my luck EVER again. I hope karma sways with me this year. So let's see some garden pics.........Oh, I'm located in Toronto GTA
keep your gor coin handy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I was inspired enough that we decided to make ourselves a little garden. It's not much, just a planter I made from wood I had around the house. Managed to get blueberries, thyme, sage, curry, strawberry, oregano, parsley, cilantro, arugula, and lavender in it. However we still have the mint in the ground near our door and it's gone completely wild! it's everywhere!! but smells so nice. :) and the lady of the house decided she also wanted eccinacea, so we have that in a separate pot.. which I think will be a growing theme as we advance our garden to a scattering of boxes and pots surrounding us :P (this is because we don't own the land and thus want it to all be mobile)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

don't those spices smell nice!!!!... great going cows

it's time well spent, every moment is worth it. when i lived in an apartment, i made two 2'x4' planters on the balcony on the seventh floor. we still had wildlife coming to our little garden, looking form below the balcony looked like a jungle, i had vines growing up the cables, heh, we even had hummers come visit. ofcourse there were those above us who cut the vines, and it taught me a lesson which was, when ever you have something nice, there will be those who will destroy it. from that i learned to buy nothing fancy, wear raggy clothes, look poor in every way, no more jealous stuff, no more evil eye. best to blend in. with that it gave me less worry. so the little garden showed me something. some are just not happy, and when they see happy it's break it time.
keep your gor coin handy
dayday2008
Journeyman

Post by dayday2008 »

Cool thread, I dont grow much food in my garden. last year i planted an onion from ASDA and it produced seeds but i'm not sure if they'll grow, I'll find out this year. The onions flowers were rather interesting, atop of it's hollow stem the flowers formed a dense white ball, perhaps the size of a tennis ball. Unusual?

My gardening forte is wild flowers, trees and shrubs preferably native or European. Basically, anything that grows without to much help from me. I have a small collection of different species of tree, most of them have grown from seeds i collected and scattered in a bed of soil in my back garden, while others were seedlings i dug up and took home. As for wild flowers, they are everywhere, some are more pleasant to look at than others but once you know them you can remove those you are not too keen on, such as Dandelion (Taraxacum Officionale) or Creeping Buttercup (Rannunculus Repens) and make more room for others like Meadow Cranesbill (Geranium Pratense) and Daisy (Bellis Perenis). Gardening is COOL!

This weekend however, i went out with my daughter to collect butterflies at our local nature reserve. we caught a male Green-veined White (Pieris napi) and a male and female Orange Tip (Anthocaris cardamines). It was brilliant! I think it could be a lasting hobby. I just hope i see more butterflies in my garden this year.

ALL BUTTERFLIES CAUGHT WERE RELEASED UNHARMED!
Revolutionary Greetings!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

hi dayday

wild gardens are colourful and attract more wildlife, are easier to look afer, and i think the best choice. do you remember all those botanical names? cause that's amazing if you do. i planted a bunch of zinnea from seed that were multicoloured, come fall when alll the flowers were out, there were many butterflies that visited them. catch and release is great thing to teach little ones. one year that i planted many tomatoes, i captured tomato horn worms, very large scary looking thing, i decided to bring two in the house in an aquarium, left them in the basement over the winter months. they turned into a large moth and i decided to let them go. i never got another tomato horn worm since, this was in 2003.
keep your gor coin handy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

that's because they went and told their buddies about their imprisonment! "Yeah, there we are in the local pub when this giant came an put us in jail... for like half our lives man.. I'm telling ya.. stay out of there.. tell your kids!" ;)

To be honest, I have left dead spiders around the home sometimes as a warning to others.. "No space to rent!" it''s worked especially if they died in web. Though Sandie doesn't even want to look on them dead so we clean it up these days... and as a result we have more of them :P
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Eeewww, /shudder. I can't even go near dead spiders...all the legs and everything. And they always seem to manage to end up on their backs with their legs all curled round. Must be something to do with whatever happens to their bodies when they snuff it.
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

cowsmanaut wrote:that's because they went and told their buddies about their imprisonment! "Yeah, there we are in the local pub when this giant came an put us in jail... for like half our lives man.. I'm telling ya.. stay out of there.. tell your kids!" ;)

the most natural response, i give up explanations

To be honest, I have left dead spiders around the home sometimes as a warning to others.. "No space to rent!" it''s worked especially if they died in web. Though Sandie doesn't even want to look on them dead so we clean it up these days... and as a result we have more of them :P
no one person have i met has said they've been bitten by a spider with proof of the eye
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

A spider had a go at me once. I was sitting watching a film whilst leaning on some cushions. I was just shuffling a bit to get myself more comfortable and put my hand under one of the cushions and felt something sharp jab it. I decided that I wouldn't just get fraked out straight away in case it wasn't a spider but maybe a pointy bit of the cushion zip or something that had jabbed me. But I lifted the cushion there was indeed a black, octopedal critter under there. Wasn't huge, but still...a spoida is a spoida. I got my dad to chuck it out the window (which is the usual course of action). I had two little tiny impressions on my finger where the mandibles had gone in. They didn't break the skin but I definitely had a couple of marks there for a little while.
So yes, spiders can and do bite ;).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Last weekend my neigbour found a jackdaw (this bird) in his garden. She was sitting there, almost not moving, and he thought she was dead. But when he examined her more closely he found she had actually a spider stuck in her throat. She had swallowed the body of the spider, but the legs were still sticking out of her beak. So we started pulling the legs of her beak - we pulled six of them, and then, suddenly - *gulp* - she swallowed the rest of the spider, and she was OK, and she recovered quickly and flew away. :)

The spiders are icky, anyway. This is the only animal species I don't like. I don't kill them, but I don't like touching them and I don't like watching them. I have a very bad feeling about them. They are very icky. I always kick them from the house. Although they are useful, of course, because they kill a lot of dangerous insect. :P

Because of the global warming, a lot of dangerous poisonous spiders tend to spread to the Czech Republic from Hungary and the Mediterranean. Ick! :|
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Ameena wrote:A spider had a go at me once. I was sitting watching a film whilst leaning on some cushions. I was just shuffling a bit to get myself more comfortable and put my hand under one of the cushions and felt something sharp jab it. I decided that I wouldn't just get fraked out straight away in case it wasn't a spider but maybe a pointy bit of the cushion zip or something that had jabbed me. But I lifted the cushion there was indeed a black, octopedal critter under there. Wasn't huge, but still...a spoida is a spoida. I got my dad to chuck it out the window (which is the usual course of action). I had two little tiny impressions on my finger where the mandibles had gone in. They didn't break the skin but I definitely had a couple of marks there for a little while.
So yes, spiders can and do bite ;).
in the spiders defence, it was biting for its life, hehehe. spiders see us as a dangerous hazzard. i walked through a spoider web with the spoider sac that had thousands of spiders on it. it was a face plant right into the web. i looked down and saw them falling from my hair and face, down my chest, on to my legs. i was wearing nothing under my house coat. i did not kill one intentionally, and none bit me, but my friend, whos birthday was that day, the same as mine, was petrified. hahaha, the look on their face was priceless. you are the first to say that you have seen the spider bite you. the way you describe it makes me wanna look under every pillow, heh.
it's still a question of did it wait under the cushion for you....maybe it was looking for bugs. i do not remove spoider webs from doors or windows. poor spoiders get da blame for any bite found that can't be explained. every fall we get real big spiders in the garden, more than two centimetres.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Jan wrote:Last weekend my neigbour found a jackdaw (this bird) in his garden. She was sitting there, almost not moving, and he thought she was dead. But when he examined her more closely he found she had actually a spider stuck in her throat. She had swallowed the body of the spider, but the legs were still sticking out of her beak. So we started pulling the legs of her beak - we pulled six of them, and then, suddenly - *gulp* - she swallowed the rest of the spider, and she was OK, and she recovered quickly and flew away. :)

The spiders are icky, anyway. This is the only animal species I don't like. I don't kill them, but I don't like touching them and I don't like watching them. I have a very bad feeling about them. They are very icky. I always kick them from the house. Although they are useful, of course, because they kill a lot of dangerous insect. :P

Because of the global warming, a lot of dangerous poisonous spiders tend to spread to the Czech Republic from Hungary and the Mediterranean. Ick! :|

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA, i can picture a spider enjoying the warm sun with a pint of blood in the Czech Republic
keep your gor coin handy
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Chaos-Shaman wrote:more than two centimetres.
You mean only the bodies, or with their legs (like a diameter or something)?

(I mean if it's only the body without legs, then double-yuck for the 2 centimeters! :? )