Retro Video game magazines

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
lord soth 75
Adept

Retro Video game magazines

Post by lord soth 75 »

Was having a spring clean this afternoon,and whilst rummaging around in the attic i found 2 big cardboard boxes full of video games magazines from when i was a kid.
I mauled the boxes downstairs and spent a good few hours looking through them.

The earliest mags were a bunch of C+VG magazine from 1988 (Anyone remember Julian Rignall?)
I also had every issue of C+VG from August 1989,through until March 1994.
Other mags i found were various issues of Commodore User,Sinclair User,The One,and a couple of issues of ZZAP 64.

The best find of all was my old copies of Mean Machines,Mean Machines Sega,and Nintendo Magazine System.

Do any of you fellow forum'ers still have any old video game mags,and which ones did you read back in the day?
:)
Romero and Carmack NEED to re-group.Modern gaming needs to be saved from the greedy bastards who are ruining it all.
Stingm
Apprentice

Re: Retro Video game magazines

Post by Stingm »

I believe I still have a few Computer Gaming Worlds and a few PC Gamers. Other than those I may have an Interaction or 2. Interaction was a free magazine put out by Sierra Online (now Vivendi I believe!) to promote their games in the day! I was never into consoles except for the old Atari 2600 and a Magnavox before that which gives away my age..lol It does bring back a lot of old gaming memories to look at them again.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I have a few old issues of Amiga Format from the early 90s. I might even still have the coverdisks somewhere.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

My dad had a whole cupboard of "ST Format" mags (one of which I used quite often as it had the Monkey Island walkthrough in it), but he got rid of them years ago :(. I think half our disk collection came from the front covers of those magazines.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I don't have any of my own originals anymore, I sadly got rid of them all by mistake when I moved housemany years ago. If any of you above have any DM related articles in your magazines, I'd be very interested to see them, as I'm sure would Christophe too :-)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I had a huge number of ST Action and ST Format magazines, they must still be in my house somewhere. And I had a DM and a CSB review, as well as a small article talking about the "cheat" for CSB. I must try to find them next time I am back.
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

I have some Nintendo Powers from 1986-1990! My favorite is the one with Startropics.
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

One of these Atari ST magazines i have has a cover disc,and the main demo on it is a full playable level of the 'Bad Dudes Vs Dragon Ninja' coin op conversion by Ocean.The magazine is from November 1988.
The old issues of C+VG have a monthly feature called 'Adventure Time' which is kinda like a universal adventure game hint oracle.There is several pages offering vague hints to games like DM,Shadow Gate,Zork.The Bards Tale. ect

C+VG was such a brilliant magazine back in the day.Modern day mags wouldn't dare to do half the stuff that those guys at Emap Images did.
Romero and Carmack NEED to re-group.Modern gaming needs to be saved from the greedy bastards who are ruining it all.
raixel

Post by raixel »

Whats C+VG? Ive never heard of it.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

"Computer and Video Games" magazine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_and_Video_Games
raixel

Post by raixel »

OMG that cover on Wikipedia looks so cool! Anywhere I can find scans of the old issues on the net?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

That cover is great.
So 80s! :mrgreen:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I used to buy C+VG in the mid to late 80's; it had a different logo by then:
http://www.konixmultisystem.co.uk/image ... 00x280.jpg
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

Gambit37 wrote:I used to buy C+VG in the mid to late 80's; it had a different logo by then:
http://www.konixmultisystem.co.uk/image ... 00x280.jpg

Mid to late 80's is when i used to read it too. :)
The mag was brilliant until around mid 1992 when a new editor came in and made lots of changes,and the look and feel of the mag suffered as a result.
Things picked up again in 1996 when Paul Davies took over as editor.
It was easily the best multi format gaming magazine on newstands.
Mean Machines was brilliant as well.

I'd upload some photo's of some of my old issues of C+VG....If i knew how to.
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

I used to get pretty much every games magazine available every month through my teenage years - Computer & Video Games, Crash, Zzap!, Your Sinclair, Sinclair User, ST Format, Amiga Format, The One, The Games Machine, ZERO, Mean Machines, ACE, EDGE, ST Action...

and many more!

Some mags sprang up and died out very quickly but most I collected for years, and I kept them and re-read them constantly. Into my 20s I started to throw them out or give them away, eventually just ebaying things like the number 1s.

I do occasionally go to ebay and buy a random old issue of something just for a nostalgia blast. A couple of pounds for a warm fuzzy feeling. The best thing is flicking through one of those old mags and knowing exactly what's going to be on each page because I read them so much back in the day :)

I did dutifully collect EDGE until a couple of years ago, but that was really out of a compulsion because I had a complete set from number 1. Towards the end I literally used to buy it, flick through the pages then add it to the stacks in the loft. I threw them all in the recycling bin and amazingly never regretted it.

The only mag I buy these days is Retro Gamer. Which says it all really!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

lord soth 75 wrote:I'd upload some photo's of some of my old issues of C+VG....If i knew how to.
Either send your files to Beowuuf who would upload them on the DM space he manages, or use some sort of internet photoalbum or blog or anything.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Or directly e-mail them to Christophe if they are Dm related for the encyclopaedia
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sabreman wrote:I did dutifully collect EDGE until a couple of years ago, but that was really out of a compulsion because I had a complete set from number 1. Towards the end I literally used to buy it, flick through the pages then add it to the stacks in the loft. I threw them all in the recycling bin and amazingly never regretted it.
Wow! You'd probably have made quite a bit of cash on eBay for a complete set of EDGE.
Sabreman wrote:The only mag I buy these days is Retro Gamer. Which says it all really!
Same here, although I did recently buy a new EDGE, just to see the new size!
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

Sabreman wrote:I used to get pretty much every games magazine available every month through my teenage years - Computer & Video Games, Crash, Zzap!, Your Sinclair, Sinclair User, ST Format, Amiga Format, The One, The Games Machine, ZERO, Mean Machines, ACE, EDGE, ST Action...

and many more!

Some mags sprang up and died out very quickly but most I collected for years, and I kept them and re-read them constantly. Into my 20s I started to throw them out or give them away, eventually just ebaying things like the number 1s.

I do occasionally go to ebay and buy a random old issue of something just for a nostalgia blast. A couple of pounds for a warm fuzzy feeling. The best thing is flicking through one of those old mags and knowing exactly what's going to be on each page because I read them so much back in the day :)

I did dutifully collect EDGE until a couple of years ago, but that was really out of a compulsion because I had a complete set from number 1. Towards the end I literally used to buy it, flick through the pages then add it to the stacks in the loft. I threw them all in the recycling bin and amazingly never regretted it.

The only mag I buy these days is Retro Gamer. Which says it all really!
EDGE was a great magazine.
I remember a few years back (about 2007 iirc) when Jeff Minter had a monthly column in which he gave details of his monthly work on the development of his XBOXLIVE Arcade game 'Space Giraffe'. It all made for great reading,particularly his clashes with Microsoft as the game reached its near completion.
The 'look back' features were always a good read as well.Im pretty sure,that they covered DM in one issue.I'll have to dig out my EDGE mags from around the 2007/8 period.
The best thing about EDGE was the fact that they never veered into fanboyism.They reviewed games honestly.
If a game was crap....They would say it was crap.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

The amount of money gained from selling something of "collector value" is fairly often not worth the effort it takes to prepare the item for sale, locate a buyer, ensure the transaction is legit, package the item, and so on.

I have experienced this firsthand. :mrgreen: :|
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, that's true, I had a similar issue when I sold my Fighting Fantasy collection. :|