Hello there!!!

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Matagot
Neophyte

Hello there!!!

Post by Matagot »

Hello!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Matagot here! Completely new to this website! 8)
My most precious gaming years was the era of the Amiga, especially with my favourite RPG genre: the 'Dungeon crawler'!
I've played Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back, All three Eye of the Beholder games, Bloodwych, Black Crypt, Abandoned Places, Xenomorph, Elvira 2: Jaws of Cerberus and knightmare.

I have always dreamed of designing my own Dungeon crawler game, recently I had downloaded the Adventure Game Studio software and tried my best to find a way of creating dungeon crawlers, but was unable to figure out how since AGS focuses mainly on the Monkey Island style games.

Then searching through the web I came upon this very website and seeing that many of you guys have managed to design your own Dungeon Master games and also indie style dungeon crawlers! How are you guys doing this? :)

As I am still getting used to things here,I thought I'd introduce myself and discover what the first thing I should do to create a game.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Re: Hello there!!!

Post by Jan »

Oh, hello and welcome to the forums. Hope you enjoy your stay! :D

And, hey, you can always share more memories and "juicy" details of your (DM) gaming career (like killing yourself with a fireball or falling into the very same pit three times in a row)! :)

Re designing you own "game" (i.e. DM "custom" dungeon): Other people will explain it more correctly but basically the only thing you need to do is to download an editor and start building your own "maze." You can choose from three different engines and their respective editors - CSBuild for the "CSB for Windows / Linux" is the oldest and most faithful to the original (http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/851), RTCEditor for the "Return to Chaos" perhaps the most common (http://www.ragingmole.com/RTC/) and ESB for the "Dungeon Strikes Back" perhaps the most recent / promising (http://www.ojnk.net/dm/dsb/). People will then play your dungeon using the given engine. You can find a lot of inrofmation in various parts of these forums (Custom Dungeons, Return to Chaos, Dungeon Strikes Back, Chaos Strikes Back for Windows / Linux).
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Heya, welcome to the forum :D.
It's worth adding, I think, a mention of "Legend of Grimrock", a game that came out in April this year and which was inspired by DM. At some point soon (not sure when but you might be able to find out on their website) they'll be releasing an editor for it :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Indeed, checking out Legend of Grimrock - with it's development blog - might let you see how it was accomplished. I believe DSB and Legend both share a lau scripting theme, so that's perhaps one way to go.

Welcome to the forums!
Matagot
Neophyte

Post by Matagot »

Thanks so much guys!!!

I'll check out those links and see what I can do with the engines.
Hopefully I'll have something playable at the end.

Legend of Grimrock looks great! It's about time they released a new DM style game, but as for designing my own dungeon crawlers I prefer to go retro :)