Atrist looking for partners to make browser rpg

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Belibr
Neophyte

Atrist looking for partners to make browser rpg

Post by Belibr »

Hello,

I'm inspired with all these old-school games like DM, EoB, LoL, Stonekeep etc and want to find partner(s) to create together first person browser MMO with diskret moving.
A few years ago I worked on such project as artist. Here are the examples of my work for the project ( http://belibr.deviantart.com/gallery/25338091 ).
The project was closed by management for some reason, but it was almost finished. The game still working on fan server and you can try it ( http://crits.ru ).
The game is on russian, but with some patience you could find the right buttons and successfully start playing it.

I'd like to make similar game (as a hobby free-time project), but closer to old-school look and gameplay.
That could be a browser (on Flash or Unity 3D) mmo (with arenas, coop dungeons) game with simple 3d environments, 2d animated mobs and player characters, with smooth moving between spaces and smooth rotation.
I can create the still and animated artwork for everything (sprites, backgrounds, GUI, textures, low poly models, promo art etc).

If anybody is interested, post in this thread or send me a PM and I’ll get back to you soon.

Here are some screenshots:
Last edited by Belibr on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belibr
Neophyte

Re: Atrist looking for partners to make browser rpg

Post by Belibr »

The game used Alternativa 3D engine. It's free and has open source. ( http://alternativaplatform.com/en/techn ... rnativa3d/ )
So it makes possible to create attractive environments. Here are the screenshot of town architecture that was in our game:
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Welcome to the forum! 8)

I love the artwork, and I'd love to see what else you can come up with. I have programming training in C++, Java, and a few scripting languages, so that would be one area that I could contribute in, but I am a bit busy with a Return to Chaos project of my own at the moment, along with college and other RL things, but I could see if I can contribute when and where I can. If you plan on doing everything in Flash I'm not sure how much help I'd be though as I really don't know anything about developing in Flash. I have also studied web development so could also contribute with a web site design for the site that will host it.
Belibr
Neophyte

Post by Belibr »

Thank you, Seriously Unserious. =)
I would appreciate for any help including advices and opinions!

Regarding Flash. I'm not a programmist at all. Really do not know what technology, engine etc are better to use here.
I just have seen such project made on Flash. Also it's so important, imho, to make the game easier to launch and play. You just open url and start playing.
Perhaps, there is some other technologies to achieve this... I don't know. I'm open to professional opinions!

By the way, I have found great example of textured 3d maze made using Alternativa3D.
Take a look! http://wonderfl.net/c/a9n3
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

That looks great. The code looks familiar to me. I just looked it up, and it looks like Alternativia uses Java, which is a language I'm familiar with.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Welcome to the forum Belibr. Your projects look great, nice work. :)

I don't have the time to help you out unfortunately, but can offer a little advice:

* Don't use Flash. It's not future-proof and doesn't work on many new tablets and smartphones. It's dying off and you should avoid it.
* Investigate the Unity 3D engine -- this can be used to build browser games and stand-alone games for mutliple platforms

Good luck!
Belibr
Neophyte

Post by Belibr »

Gambit37, it makes sense! Thank you.
Remains to find the responsible programmer who knows the right technology.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Oh god, I'm completely jealous of your artistic skills... :(
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

oh-oh, :roll: if you've got Linflas jealous of you then you're definitely on the right track! :P
He's one of the forums known artists... :D
Belibr
Neophyte

Post by Belibr »

Oh no. What I've done =( linflas, I'm sorry for that.
Seriously Unserious, yep, looks like too right. Maybe I should take a little to the left trying to find programmers. )
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Well, if you're using an engine that works with Java, I could help some. I'm pretty busy right now so I'm not sure how much I can do for you ATM. I'm also good at creating stories and such so I can also contribute in that area of the game as well. If you want to get an idea of what my creative style is like, take a look in here http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 31&t=29469. the first post give a good intro of my custom dungeon (one of the reasons why I don't have as much time to help you right now as I'd like, the other being college).

Oh, and don't worry about Linflas, I'm sure he'll get over his jealousy, without practicing his swordplay on you -- much. :P
Belibr
Neophyte

Post by Belibr »

Thank you, Seriously Unserious!
That would be great if you could help the project. Especially given your experience and knowledge in the subject.
Until I find a programmer who wants to lead the development, I can not be sure about the choice of technology. The same applies to the plot. I think it's important to leave enough space for creativity to engage and motivate people to join the project.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

So, are you still working on this?

Sorry I kind of dropped off the radar for a few weeks there, I was busy with Collage and also couldn't post much on the forum due to a wrist injury, but I'm recovering from it fast and am available to help with things like story writing beta testing and stuff like that.