Hi All

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
hissa-lives
Novice

Hi All

Post by hissa-lives »

Recently found info and download for CSBwin version of DM, all I can say is wow!
Played a lot back in the day and always enjoyed it but found it way too hard :-( revisiting it is amazing and after playing and dying endlessly on the rat levels or level below found this place and found out about the screamer room! If I'd known about that way back when playing on my Amiga it would have been much more fun! rather than panicking at the worms and running through it as quick as possible! :roll:
SO I spent a few hours training up, getting stats higher and I've finally managed to beat the game! :D and the dragon too sooo happy
this forum really is a fountain of information and is nice to see the love for the game too
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Re: Hi All

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Welcome to the forum, hissa-lives. :)

Congratulations on beating the game. I first played it on my Amiga and it took me a long time to figure it out too. Eventually I did beat lord chaos, and went on to beat him again in the sequel, Chaos Strikes Back. I hope you enjoy this community, and if you're interested in keeping the DM fun alive, there's also tons of different DM clones, and even DM-style custom dungeons made using these clones' engines.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forum!

It's amazing the sticking points some peeple (myself included) had in DM. Fun to break through them. At first it was the worms, the the coatyls, then the scorpions.

You should give CSBwin's CSB dungeon a try next. You should be able to import your characters in and face a new, weird challenge there!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey, welcome to the forum :). I agree with Wuffy - now you've finished DM, import your party to CSB so you can realise just how easy DM actually is ;).
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I've always found that the rat level was easily the hardest of the game.. (for me anyway) it comes at such an early point in the game, yet after that nothing seemed as bad.. just trying to stay alive on potions alone :P as I slowly starved.. at least that's how it went the first time through..
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

For me the level of famine and drought is usually the worm level, at least up until I find The Screamer Room, then the famine is over at least. The drought doesn't end until I find the stairs down to where the next batch of fountains are. After the Screamer Room, food is never an issue again, between the surplus screamer slices and whatever I find in the dungeon, I don't have any food shortages at all, and even if I do, I just have to go back up to the Screamer Room and there's an endless supply of easy food right there.

Of course, once I find the Rat Room, I retire the Screamer Room from use. The rat level is tough though, mainly because the Pain Rats are such a massive jump in strength from everything above.

Once I get passed the rats, the next big challenge is the scorpions. Those things are the deadliest monsters in the game, after the red dragon at least. They take a ton of punishment, are fast, and can dish out more then half a character's health in damage in a singe attack, and poison the character to boot, and it's about the strongest poison in the game too, plus they regenerate. I guess you could say they breed like insects. Then again, they are insects to I guess that makes sense.
hissa-lives
Novice

Post by hissa-lives »

Will never forget the moment I saw my first scorpion on there, change of underwear time right there! it killed me too :-( still least I wasn't the only one!

I do have the Chaos Strikes Back, had boxed version back in the day too (still have the Gor coin too!) just never enjoyed that oe as much as DM for some reason, think it's the linear nature of DM that makes it simpler for me, the constant up/down stairs in chaos means I get totally lost so easily.

This run through was the first time I got to Master level on anything too so that was cool, might see how far I can train another team before I get bored!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

hissa-lives wrote:still have the Gor coin too!
You might want to join this discussion then: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 29#p140529

or ssshhh! don't let Simon know you have it, he's looking for a CSB Gor Coin. :wink: :P
hissa-lives wrote:Will never forget the moment I saw my first scorpion on there, change of underwear time right there! it killed me too :-( still least I wasn't the only one!
hell yeah. then again, the Animated Armors are no walk in the park either. Not much affects them, except for lightning bolts, and having your fighters do some hacking. Hard to keep lightning bolts ready when you have materializes also hanging around and conjuring up fireballs, at you, while you only harm them with a des ew spell or a vorpal blade.

Yeah, the materilsers (or zytaz in csb) are the most annoying monsters in the game, while, except maybe for the gigglers. :? not sure which is worse. materialisors that are hard as hell to hit, or gigglers stealing my stuff and running away faster then a speeding fireball. :twisted:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Um...Scorpions are arachnids, not insects ;). I still find their attack sound the freakiest in the game :(.
I tend to find Level Twelve is the most horrible - the Spiders aren't so bad - a couple of big enough Fireballs is enough to finish on off, and while they do have a venomous bite, at least that's cured easily enough. The Knights are tough but you can usually use the no-monster barrier things to fight them (as you can with the Spiders). I think there's one point where you can shut some in a door repeatedly as well. The Spell Vines are the worst for me - intangible spellcasters who can lob Fireballs and stuff at you from the other end of the corridor, argh! They're the main reason I just try and leg it through the latter part of that level :P.

Post by hissa-lives »

Funnily enough the 4 materialiser things killed my last attempt, this time a MON level DES EW spell got rid of them, they didn't seem to attack until they were vulnerable to spells so worked out ok! Just made sure I went and did that bit first THEN released the knights. :D