Where can I download DM for use with windows 8?

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
LauraMay
Neophyte

Where can I download DM for use with windows 8?

Post by LauraMay »

Hiya. Ive been trying to find DM to download that is compatible with windows 8 but not having much luck. Most of the downloads are malware. Can anyone help please?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Where can I download DM for use with windows 8?

Post by beowuuf »

An actual copy of DM is unlikely to be directly compatible I'm afraid! You can get the original disk from the Dm Encyclopaedia, but you would need DOSbox or something similar to run it

Instead (also from the Encyclopaedia) you could download CSBwin with the DM dungeon and play a version that should run under windows 8
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

LauraMay wrote:Hiya. Ive been trying to find DM to download that is compatible with windows 8 but not having much luck. Most of the downloads are malware. Can anyone help please?
"Dungeon Master for PC" runs fine in DOS Box
I had no trouble to run it this way
I use DOS Box under Windows XP, I do not know about Window 8.

Another alternative is Return to Chaos ( RTC ) http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=58
To play DM, this is the easy way to go. I use RTC under Windows XP, I do not know about Windows 8.
Download RTC http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 23&t=27650
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
LauraMay
Neophyte

Post by LauraMay »

Hi Guys and thankyou so much for replying :D ...Right so I need a DOSbox....where can I get one of these from? Also Il try the RCT download. So I take it you can download DM from the 'Encylopedia'? Sorry for being so blonde with all this. Unfortunately My knowledge in all this technical stuff isnt good.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

LauraMay wrote:Hi Guys and thankyou so much for replying :D Sorry for being so blonde with all this. Unfortunately My knowledge in all this technical stuff isnt good.
Oh well........... Using DosBox needs some technical knowledge.
See the official site for more http://www.dosbox.com. Look at the "DOSBOX tutorial".

Running Dungeon Maéster with RTC is mostly simple.
Download RTC from here http://www.ragingmole.com/RTC/
Last edited by terkio on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

DOSbox is a downloadable DOS emulator - if you Google for it, you should find it easily enough :). It's basically just a program that you load up. It pretends to be DOS so when you run DOS games in it, they'll work :). Downloadable DM versions (like CSBWin or RTC) are available from the Encyclopaedia, which can be found at the website dmweb.free.fr along with pretty much anything you could ever want to know about any of those games :).
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

terkio wrote:
LauraMay wrote:Hiya. Ive been trying to find DM to download that is compatible with windows 8 but not having much luck. Most of the downloads are malware. Can anyone help please?
Another alternative is Return to Chaos ( RTC ) http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=58
To play DM, this is the easy way to go. I use RTC under Windows XP, I do not know about Windows 8.
Download RTC http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 23&t=27650
I've tried RTC under Win8 and it seems to work fine so far, but I haven't used it much under Win 8 yet though.

@LauraMay: In addition to DOSBox, you could also get an Amiga emulator and download DM as an .adf file. IMO the best Amiga emulator is WinUAE, which I use under XP and haven't had any problems with it there. I'm sure it would work under Win 8 as well, but I haven't tried it yet in Win 8.

IMO the Amiga version is better then the DOS version anyways.

Even if you don't want to play the original DM and CSB in RTC I'd still recommend getting it, as there's also dozens of downloadable custom dungeons for it that you would probably enjoy.

There's also DMJava and DSB as well, but I haven't done mush on DMJava and haven't tried DSB yet either. I also don't know if anyone's recreated the DM or CSB dungeons on either of those clones yet either.

If you're not very technical minded I'd recommend either RTC or WinUAE as Amiga has a graphical interface so you would be in a more familiar environment there, and RTC was designed for Windows so you should be able to pick it up pretty quickly, and if you have any problems with RTC just about anyone here can help you out, and with WinUAE, I should be able to help you out there, and I think others on this board have also used WinUAE as well, who could also help you if you get stuck.

Oh, and welcome to the forums, LauraMay! 8)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

DSB, RTC and CSBwin are all the simplest for getting DM and should all run fine under windows. CSBwin will be the closest to DM, as it used the original engine - albeit atari version - whereas RTC and DSB have their flavours and charms.

Welcome to the forum!
LauraMay
Neophyte

Post by LauraMay »

I must say Im so impressed by all your helpfull replies! :D I'll try these suggestions out and let you know how I get on. The suggestions Will also help any others wanting to use DM on win8 too. :D
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

A bit late to this discussion, but CSBWin is really easy to get going. Works on Vista and Windows7, and I would be willing to bet on Windows 8 too. But I guess at this stage you have figured it out.
beowuuf wrote: it used the original engine - albeit atari version
What other original engine was there? :wink:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

:p

(Amiga rules)