Greetings and salutations

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sparklepaws
Neophyte

Greetings and salutations

Post by Sparklepaws »

Hello everyone! My name is Sparklepaws, and as most likely apparent I'm new to the boards. I'm 23 years old and from the USA, with interests ranging from theater and public performance to costuming, tabletop gaming and art.

I'm also rather new to the world of DMing. I started roughly three or four months ago after being an avid D&D player for about a year, and I'm still discovering more about the game (D&D and Pathfinder) every time I play/DM. I get the impression that this is an ongoing learning process, so I decided to join a community (you guys) for the long haul ahead of me.

With that being said, I'm hoping my stay here will be long and prosperous. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Hoping to see you all around,
Sparklepaws
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Greetings and salutations

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forum!

Sadly we're about the 25 year old Atari/Amiga/PC game Dungeon Master, rather than explicitly about DMing itself! However, that doens't mean a few of us don't play :)

A very good column for DMing is by Chris Perkins of Wizards of the Coast, definitely worth the read
https://www.wizards.com/dnd/archive.asp ... experience

The Wizard D&D forums and the Paizo pathfinder forums may also be good communities to join.

We have a very small forum dedicated to the one and a half games we played (both based on 3.5 D&D rules), and our creative forums and gaming forums will have the occasional post scattered around with such topics. It occasionally comes up!

Apologies for the comfusion, but feel free to lurk and ask questions, we're a friendly bunch and some of us have Dm'd and played under Pathfinder/D&D and can always direct you to cool sites or answer questions while you get your feet :)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Yes, not the first time there has been this confusion! In fact the last time it happened it encouraged some of us to start a PbP D&D game here on the forum!

Anyway welcome, and you never know, maybe you discover that you actually love retro 16-bit role-playing computer games.... :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Heya, welcome :). As Wuffy said, you're not in quite the right forum if you were aiming for one specifically tailored toward people wanting to run their own tabletop game...however, we're all gamers here, and some of us also play tabletop games. A couple of us (at least) are also members of a site called RPOL (Roleplaying Online) which is basically a huge forum for anyone wanting to play a tabletop game without the tabletop...or even those who do but can't because they don't know anyone in their area who's interested ;).
I've played DnD 4th Edition quite a lot, as well as all four of the Warhammer 40k games (Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, and Black Crusade) to a lesser or greater extent. I've also played Hollow Earth Expedition a bit, and in fact have literally just started (attempting) to run one over on RPOL. I also own the Red Dwarf RPG but haven't got round to playing that yet at all. And I've played plenty of other tabletop things though not usually for more than a session or two (Farscape, Doctor Who, Nobilis, Deadlands, WFRP, WoD, and others). I've technically played DnD 3.5 but never at tabletop - I've played, for example, Neverwinter Nights, which uses the 3.5 system though obviously a single-player computer game version isn't gonna be anywhere near the same as a proper tabletop game ;). Also have had a brief few sessions of 2nd Edition, actually, but I found it horribly complicated and don't really fancy playing it again ;).
If you want to chat about GMing/tabletop games, go ahead - just because this forum isn't specifically dedicated to tabletop gaming doesn't mean no-one is interested! :D

Post by Sparklepaws »

Haha! Wow, I actually find this mix-up rather poetic and entertaining to be honest! I do love older games, especially the 16-bit classics (I mean come on, you can't beat chip-tunes).

While I've never played the actual Dungeon Master game, I've at least heard of it. In fact I dare say I remember thinking that Paw (Pawdugan) should do a Let's Play of it.

Either way you slice it, you guys seem extremely welcoming and very friendly! I'll stick around and spend some of my spare time checking out the boards, thank you all for the warm introductions!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Then it's win-win :) Glad you have you aboard!