Greetings...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
November
Neophyte

Greetings...

Post by November »

Greetings fellow Dungeon Master fans!

I'm glad to have finally found a forum devoted to this classic game series. I just thought I'd drop by and take the chance to discuss various thoughts I've had about the series over the course of having played it repeatedly over the past twenty-some years. :lol:

For a bit about myself, I'm 34 and tucked away in the woods trying my best to live the quiet, peaceful and slightly-demented life of a hermit. Tired of the Giant Poison Rat-race. I'd rather sit back and take time to enjoy the Screamer Slices.

Best regards,

November.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Greetings...

Post by Ameena »

Heya, welcome to the forum :). Do you have any interesting/entertaining/silly/embarrassing stories of your time in DM and its sequels, then? :)
Neophyte

Post by November »

Indeed, I think the most amusing experiences I've had involved:

1. CSB: Mistakenly dropping the four Corbums into the empty pit that's one step before the Fulya pit.
2. CSB: Forever trapping myself in the Fulya Pit by entering the teleporter leading there and saving before opening any of the "escape passages" from the other four Way paths.
3. DM: Killing a giant rat by throwing the bones of a comrade it just killed back at it.
4. DM: The first time I played, creating a dozen Zo Kath Ra balls and carrying them around as if they had some actual value.
5. Probably the most amusing: inadvertently walking into a high-level fireball I just cast and incinerating my entire party in the process.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol, I've done that fifth one numerous times since playing in more recent years (ie since I found downloadable versions on the PC and moved using the keyboard rather than the mouse). Cast a Fireball at something, then immediately run forward to try and attack said thing. BOOM. Arse :P.
Your mentions of the Ful-Ya Pit reminded me of something that happened a few years ago. Was playing CSB in RTC and was very near the end of the game, in the small network of corridors that are the secret route to the Ful-Ya Pit without having to cross the majority of that huge room with all the Demons and stuff. Stopped before the false wall leading through to the last few steps leading to the Pit itself and decided to dump a load of my random crap on the floor (can't remember why I chose to do that, since I was right around the corner from the game's end). Went through the fake wall, right into Lord Chaos. Shat myself, backpedalled (Chaos followed me), grabbed a random item off the top of my pile o' crap (turned out to be a Ful Bomb) and lobbed it at him. BOOM. Smoke cloud. Wow. Wasn't expecting that! :D
Neophyte

Post by November »

Yeah, I've noticed he seems to charge at you more aggressively if you use the shortcut and enter the room without dealing with the Demon/Worm army first. He generally just seems to wander around aimlessly and confused in the large room after the "army" has been dealt with.

I guess it just goes to show that with no more minions to lord over, an evil lord loses his purpose in life... :cry:

Also, I always found it amusing that you could scare him away with something as simple as a War Cry.
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

welcome
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oops, I approved the post and forgot to reply to it. At least Ameena was on the ball :p

Welcome to the forums!

Ah, I still recall the first time I played DM, where my friend advanced me to the first mummy then let me have he controls, and I basically threw all my clothes at the thing.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh yeah, something we've probably all done at some point - the panicked throwing of every possible random item you can pick up from the ground (usually the remains of your dead party member(s) and their stuff) at whatever horrible creature has cornered you and is currently battering you to death :D. Even better if you actually manage to kill it, especially if the killing blow is dealt by, I dunno, a pair of trousers or something :D.
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Ameena wrote:Ahh yeah, something we've probably all done at some point - the panicked throwing of every possible random item you can pick up from the ground (usually the remains of your dead party member(s) and their stuff) at whatever horrible creature has cornered you and is currently battering you to death :D. Even better if you actually manage to kill it, especially if the killing blow is dealt by, I dunno, a pair of trousers or something :D.
:lol: I've done that last part a few times before I learned how to use the combat and spell controls properly. Every time I came across a monster I'd just start throwing first swards and daggers, and then anything else I had at hand, including cloths, coins and whatever. The next thing I figured out how to do was cast fireballs, used that until I had no mana then either ran away to sleep or started throwing crap... then I finally learned how to swing a sword! That made all the difference, now I could actually get passed areas like the worms and other more powerful monsters, especially the animated armors and golems who aren't much affected by spells, except for lightning, as I recall from the Amiga version I used to play.

@November: Welcome to the forums! 8)
November
Neophyte

Post by November »

Many thanks for the many welcomes! Glad to be on board. :-)

Fondly remembering the apple-throwing days of my DM childhood...
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

welcome fellow dungeon master
keep your gor coin handy
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Welcome November!
November wrote: 1. CSB: Mistakenly dropping the four Corbums into the empty pit that's one step before the Fulya pit.
:D
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

November wrote:3. DM: Killing a giant rat by throwing the bones of a comrade it just killed back at it.
It's good to know that this trick I remember trying actually worked for some lucky fellow out there.