UNCOOL stuff you've found on the web...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ebeneezergude
Expert

UNCOOL stuff you've found on the web...

Post by ebeneezergude »

Can you believe this guy? This is an email exchange between me and the technical support department of a manufacturer of a minor piece of PC hardware.... Is it just me or is this guy not exactly what you'd call 'technical support'? It would be kind of amusing if it had happened to someone else... but it didn't... it was me... :evil: Names removed to protect individual identities...!

On 9 January 2014 22:55, CUSTOMER wrote:

Hi,

I cannot install the drivers for the Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB3.0 port card. When I run the driver

install programme, the drivers try to install, then reach an error and then say "rolling back". I am

using Vista 64bit Home Edition. I have tried the latest drivers from Fresco Logic and they do not

work either.

Please advise on how to fix this error and operate the card properly.

Many Thanks,

CUSTOMER

On 10 January 2014 08:28, Orico Europe Support <info@orico.eu> wrote:

Dear CUSTOMER,

The issue at hand are not the WHQL certified drivers from Fresco, but the instability of your half

baked Vista operating system. I'm sorry, but the only solution would be to overcome your self

chosen "masochistic" role of a late beta tester by switching to a stable system. I myself always

had problems with Vista 64bit re. the installation of even the most commonplace component

drivers from day one, till I finally gave up on Vista, fortunately.
So my advice would be: Windows XP or Windows 7.

But maybe you are in luck, and another PCI-E slot of any length and a stable SATA power

connection already does the trick.

Yours sincerely

TECH SUPPORT

SpringRain / Inateck

Orico Europe GmbH
Brünner Str. 10
04209 Leipzig

On 10 January 2014 09:52, CUSTOMER wrote:

Hi TECH SUPPORT,

Thanks you for the response. The box packaging and the website for this product both explicitly

state that Windows Vista 64 bit is supported. Please advise?

thanks,

CUSTOMER

On 10 Jan 2014, at 09:00, Orico Europe Support <info@orico.eu> wrote:

Dear CUSTOMER,

That's exactly what I mean. Our card and it's drivers support Windows Vista in general, but it

isn't guaranteed that your Vista version itself, with all the registry loopholes and faults, supports

our card and the respective drivers. Or even worse, a simple incompatibility between your PC's

components and our card could have been occured. Therefore, my advise re. system change

and/or switching slots and connecting to SATA power still stands.

Yours sincerely

SpringRain / Inateck

Orico Europe GmbH
Brünner Str. 10
04209 Leipzig

Tel.: 0341/51998410
Fax: 0341/51998413
E-Mail: info@orico.eu

On 10 January 2014 11:10, CUSTOMER wrote:

TECH SUPPORT,

My system is stable, there are no loopholes or faults, the PCI slots work and the power supply

is more than adequate over sata connection.

I don't understand your email. I am not a beta tester; please explain. Self-Masochist? What are

you talking about? Does the card support vista 64 bit or not? You are implying it does not if the

solution to make this product work is to run it with a whole new OS or computer system.

Please could you provide some technical support to help identify why the driver is not completing

installation?

Many thanks,

CUSTOMER

On 10 January 2014 10:17, Orico Europe Support <info@orico.eu> wrote:

You should understand this: Vista was NEVER stable, it is a "beta version" of Windows 7, more

or less. Therefore, you are an unvoluntarily beta tester. Our card supports Vista, however, your

Vista version ITSELF doesn't seem to like our card, thus leading me to the conclusion that the

registry is messed up, as it can't even accept WHQL certified drivers.

It can't be helped, because it is Windows Vista! As hard as it sounds, Vista was and is always a

nuisance, and shall never cease to be one.
"Masochistic" was only a figure of speech, only emphasising the still not realised system version

change on your side. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

Yours sincerely

TECH SUPPORT

SpringRain / Inateck

Orico Europe GmbH
Brünner Str. 10
04209 Leipzig

On 10 January 2014 20:15, CUSTOMER wrote:

With respect, I am not interested in your opinion of Vista, I merely want to receive some

constructive solutions from (what I understand is) the Inateck technical support department.

Your company says that your product supports this operating system, so please could you act

with a little more professionality and provide some technical support to help your customer install

this product?

You have not seen the registry on the system I am trying to install this product on, at this time

you are therefore unable to conclude the fault is with the registry.

If you are not able to provide technical and/or customer support, other than unhelpfully telling me

to avoid Vista, then:

1) please can you refer my request to someone in your company who can assist and provide

some constructive assistance,

and,

2) you should consider withdrawing the statement on Amazon UK, and the product packaging,

that Vista 64-bit is supported by your product, as it is apparent from what I understand in the

email exchange below that this product is unlikely to work on Vista, and therefore has arguably

been misrepresented.

I have purchased this product through Amazon UK.

Thank you.
Last edited by ebeneezergude on Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: UNCOOL stuff you've found on the web...

Post by Sophia »

It's probably some college kid doing this part time without any real qualifications, who thinks he's being insightful and cool. :roll:
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Probably. Or just some goof the company hired because he was willing to work cheaper then other candidates. Either way that's very unprofessional and is the sort of behavior that can lead to the company getting sued for misrepresentation.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Wow. That guy's gonna be in some trouble when his superiors find out. Is there some way you can report him for that? There's no way it's okay to talk to customers like that :P.
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Sophia wrote:It's probably some college kid doing this part time without any real qualifications, who thinks he's being insightful and cool. :roll:
+1 :roll:

Indeed we are heading and getting close to : No testing, no support, no manual, no maintenance, no repair.

I recommend the movie "Idiocracy".http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBvIweCIgwk
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
gerganrab
Apprentice

Post by gerganrab »

unbelievable! you have a record of the exchange, can you contact the company about this? People are ignorant because they think they can get away with it, "tech support" should be taught a lesson. That hurts the company, no matter how cheap he works. GB
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I've had similar response from some companies I'll leave unnamed. In one case, a plug-in did not work, I contacted the creator of the plug-in (employed by a larger company) as I had his direct email, and gave all the details of installation, versions, response of the plugin, and even offered to send the file in question. the response I got back "It should work." ... that's it.. nothing more.. and when I tried again, no response.

Not, sure send me the file and I'll test it on my end, or request for me to try solutions.. just "it should work" ..

another was a hardware company, where I pointed out their drivers were not functioning with a game I was playing, they simple responded that the did not intend to address the issue.. the card was less than a year old.

Yet another recent one, I had to install software on over 100 computers.. there was no silent install yet the software was made for use in studios of more than 100 employees.. I was expected to install, go through the entire process, on every machine.. I phoned tech support
"I need to install this on 100 machines, and it has no silent install so I can automate that process"
"yeah..... ?"
"are you planning to make one? or do you have any advice"
"no..."
"uh... ok..?"
"bye.... click"

It's a wonder these companies can do any bussiness at all..
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

cowsmanaut wrote:I had to install software on over 100 computers.. there was no silent install yet the software was made for use in studios of more than 100 employees.. I was expected to install, go through the entire process, on every machine.. I phoned tech support
"I need to install this on 100 machines, and it has no silent install so I can automate that process"
"yeah..... ?"
"are you planning to make one? or do you have any advice"
"no..."
"uh... ok..?"
"bye.... click"

It's a wonder these companies can do any bussiness at all..
It is... actually responses like that are a major reason why many companies fail. Their management fails to see the importance of good customer support, cheaps out on it and wonders where all their customers are going... how about to the companies that offer good customer support and end up hugely successful as a result.
gerganrab wrote:unbelievable! you have a record of the exchange, can you contact the company about this? People are ignorant because they think they can get away with it, "tech support" should be taught a lesson. That hurts the company, no matter how cheap he works. GB
That's actually a very good point, you have a complete record of your exchange to present to the company to make a substantiated claim of poor customer support there. With that exchange you had, you have every right to demand to speak with a tech support supervisor to get your issue solved, both of them, actually.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

ebs, i went through the same problems when i tried to upgrade to usb 3, the card just wouldn't work no matter what i did (windows 7 ultimate), i had to go to a store and try another and finally got it to work. you can try uninstalling the software, remove the card, reboot, install software FIRST then put in card and reboot. this solved my probem for both USB 3 and my solid state HD, it may work for you too. i had a special pink slip that stated to install software first with my second usb 3 card (usually it is the other way around) then insert card and reboot. the good thing is the first usb 3 card only cost a few bucks, like 30 or so, it was no big loss but i learned a lesson, don't buy from the internet unless you have to. go to the store, tell them you'll be back if it does not work.

good luck to you, i know how frustratng it can be.
keep your gor coin handy
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

After thinking about it, I had a similar experience at a computer store:

Me: Does this computer have feature X?
Salesman: I dunno... why?
Me: I need feature X, so I can do Y.
Salesman: Why would anyone ever want to do that?

Some months later, I found out that the company that owned the chain specially reorganized that store and ended up firing and replacing a lot of their staff. I wonder why...
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Thanks CS. Yes it's been v frustrating. It's rumbled on for a couple more emails.... the customer support rep gets me all wound up, then I almost write a hasty, exasperated response in a haze of red, then think "noooo, take a deep breath...."....

I got onto Amazon and they're sorting a return and refund. They must've got onto the company also as they're suddenly all "Anything we can do, Sir!!!"

And breeeeeaaaaattthhhe.......
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

squeaky wheel gets attention ;)
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

ebeneezergude wrote:Thanks CS. Yes it's been v frustrating. It's rumbled on for a couple more emails.... the customer support rep gets me all wound up, then I almost write a hasty, exasperated response in a haze of red, then think "noooo, take a deep breath...."....

I got onto Amazon and they're sorting a return and refund. They must've got onto the company also as they're suddenly all "Anything we can do, Sir!!!"

And breeeeeaaaaattthhhe.......
I've found Amazon tends to be more reliable in screening they're 3rd party vendors. I've had way less problems buying online through Amazon then through companies like EBay. Every time I've shopped through Amazon, the vendors have generally been pretty reliable, they sell products that are as advertised and deliver them within the time they said they would, and the few times I have had a problem they've been very willing to do what it takes to make it right. On EBay, I've had filthy criminals deliberately defrauding people of their money, and EBay, from what I can tell, does virtually nothing to stop this, as far as I can tell, there's no screening whatsoever to ensure vendors are legit, and it's a free-for-all of honest vendors, buyers and pure criminals and sometimes no way of knowing which is which.

Good thing for you that if you had to shop online that it was Amazon, and they seem to be doing they're part to make sure their 3rd party vendors stay honest, or get booted off.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i agree, Amazon has never robbed me and they are quick.

eb, go to the store and buy it, it is better unless it is one of those items that are not available in your area. here in Canada every time i shop for something for computer components ( i buy the latest stuff ) it is not available, i am forced to online shop and even then it is not available at Canadian Amazon, Americans sell us their crap, we don't see new things here for 1/2 a year or more later. our customs gouge our pockets, we have crooks for customs, no doubt there, not only that, Canadiens pay 30% more for the same product, and now that our dollar has dropped we pay another 10% on that.

just go to the store if you can and buy it there, it will be less painful. tell them ( you'll be back ) similar to Arny, if you're not happy with it :)
keep your gor coin handy