Hello there

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Zargon
Novice

Hello there

Post by Zargon »

Hi

Just felt like having a go at some old-school nostalgia gaming. Loved DM when I was in my teens (too long ago...) - managed to complete it and CSB and DM2 . Now having a go at some custom dungeons, and may try rolling my own using your great dungeon editiing tools (when I get half a second between doing my day job and looking after my two little girls!).

The old games are the best...

Cheers

Zargon
Clodius_one
Adept

Re: Hello there

Post by Clodius_one »

Hi Zargon,

Welcome to the forum, it's always a pleasure to read stories from new members. It's true, these games don't make us look younger. So you are building something new, I will love to see new ideas. Show off for the fans. My two little dragons gets 19 and 20. I can't say I have the ability to build a game myself because I never tried but I'm writing a DM French novel and participate as graphic designer on a new custom dungeon with Serious Unserious & Chaos Shaman.

Go back in and bash the basters down again! No survivor.

Clodius
Even if I had given you the smallest bite, my poison will overcome you
Spoiler
Try me!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

surely explains why those who love dungeon, greetings Zargon
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Welcome to the DM forums, Zargon! 8)

Feel free to share your DM stories with us, and have a go at building your own dungeon. but of course, your girls always have to come first, when any time conflicts arise. :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey Zarg, welcome to the forum :). Let us know if you have any amusing/silly/funny/embarrassing stories about your days playing DM. I think older games are better too :).
Novice

Post by Zargon »

Ameena wrote:Hey Zarg, welcome to the forum :). Let us know if you have any amusing/silly/funny/embarrassing stories about your days playing DM. I think older games are better too :).
Hi Ameena

Not sure if this counts, but I remember when I ordered Dungeon Master (by mail order - no internet then!) after reading rave reviews about it in an Atari ST magazine , and got all excited when it arrived. I opened it up, only to find it was all in German! Fortunately, I was doing GCSE German at the time, so the two worked together nicely. In fact, this mix-up may have been responsible for me doing OK in my exam!

Another time I remember I was playing CSB, was finding my way through a maze of fake walls at a fairly early point in the game, when I came face to face with a dragon! After nearly requiring a change of underwear, I spun round, high-tailed it blindly into a dead end, heard a roar and boom! re-load time!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol I know the maze you mean (Ros, part one)...that bit can be a little panic-inducing when you find it for the first time. Worse than seeing a Dragon up close though, I think, is just hearing one somewhere nearby - that roar, and then you know you have up to about two seconds to dodge out the way...but which way do you dodge (assuming you're in an open room like the bottom level of DM)? Whichever way, it will probably be wrong ;). Then again, at leasty in that situation you know there's a large Fireball heading for you at that point. Beholders aren't even kind enough to announce their attacks :P.
Novice

Post by Zargon »

Ameena wrote:Beholders aren't even kind enough to announce their attacks :P.
You're very right. Which reminds me, I recently completed Dungeons Matter for RTC, which had materializers (which also spout fireballs at you silently) in conjunction with a fake wall maze. Now that's what I call a challenge...
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Another monster that lacks the common courtesy to announce its attacks are the Viper Demons, who just silently throw fireballs at you. Late in my days of playing CSB on my old Amiga, I learned the value of using several fireshields, as I got enough that the VD's fireballs had no effect on my party, I could then just walk right up to them, calm as you please and let my fighters hack away, casting the odd new firesheld every now and then if one wore out and the fireballs actually started to do a few health damage. :lol:

The fireshield trick also works well on the other fireball throwers, vexirks (they at least make a zapping sound to announce their fireballs), materializers, zytaz, demons, lord chaos, and dragons... *interruotion* Shae Webber just scored for Canada, 1-0 over Norway, 2nd period *end of interruption* lowering or eliminating the damage of their fireballs. I actually did manage on my Amiga to get enough firesheilds to nearly eliminate all the damage of the mighty Dragon's fireballs, of course, the dragon's bite is still deadly enough on its own though so you still have to be careful of them, and in RTC total elimination of fire damage is impossible as well.

FIreshield is probably one of the most useful and most underused spells in the world of Dungeon Master, as most people seem to get caught up in the frantic saving of mana for fireballs.

WIth fireshields in place whenever I know there may be a dragon around has saved me from reload time when a dragon manages to sneak-fireball my party, they manage to survive the blast and limp off where they can drop down a pit or use some stairs or something to avoid the dragon. ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome!
1ya1ya
Neophyte

Post by 1ya1ya »

i am new
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord