New to this forum...need help installing game!

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Alfred
Neophyte

New to this forum...need help installing game!

Post by Alfred »

Hey guys, I get bit by the nostalgia bug last night and started watching "let's plays" on YouTube of this game that I can remember playing back in the 80's on my dad's Amiga. I was wondering if this game is playable on Windows 10. And if so could somebody direct me to a link where I could download it without downloading a bunch of malware/spyware/browser redirect junk along with it.

I've had some bad experiences trying to download old games (Final Fantasy 1 for the NES) and am hoping to avoid having to spend hours re configuring my internet browser and running Malwarebytes this time around.

I'm looking to play the vanilla Dungeon Master or something as close to that as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Saumun
High Lord

Re: New to this forum...need help installing game!

Post by Saumun »

Welcome to the forum Alfred.
I don't use Windows 10, so can't answer that one.

But on the main board of this forum, scroll down to Dungeon Master Clones & Tools. You'll find a number of Dungeon Master clones such as CSBWin, DSB, and RTC that will run the game directly from Windows. You'll find the download links there.

Alternatively you can play it on an Atari ST or Amiga emulator, such as Steem or WinUAE.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

What is vanilla Dungeon Master ? May be "vanilla" is "a so to speak" I am not familiar with.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

When people talk about the "vanilla" version of something, they mean the original version, unchanged, unmodded, etc. So if you wanted a vanilla experience of DM you could download CSBWin, which is an exact port of the Atari version - I don't know if anyone has done the same for the Amiga version as I played it on Atari back in the day so that's the version I looked for in these later years ;).
CSBWin can be found at http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/Games/ and is definitely virus-free and stuff, don't worry :). It has download links for both DM and CSB as well as a bunch of custom dungeons and stuff made by people (mostly members of this forum).
Also, welcome to the forum and have fun replaying DM after all these years :D.
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Thanks Ameena. So another vanilla DM is DM PC one can run with Dos Box.

Alfred: To play DM PC, Install Dos Box, this is an emulator that allows to run DOS games aboard a Micro$oft Windows OS. Then run DM PC aboard Dos Box. Dos Box is an old dependable bullet proof well documented software.
DM PC is a version of the original Atari/Amiga Dungeon Master. It does not give access to Chaos Striles back and custom DM like games as CsbWin, RTC or DSB do.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Welcome Alfred. DM bugs bite is hard to resist.
keep your gor coin handy
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Hello, Alfred, and welcome! :D

I would also recommend either DM for CSBWin, or DM for PC under DosBox. Go to DM Encyclopaedia (http://dmweb.free.fr/) for more details. And don't forget to share your gaming experiences with us!
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!