Thankyou for the forum, the joy it's given.

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
boyflea
Expert

Thankyou for the forum, the joy it's given.

Post by boyflea »

Wanted to post my relationship with Dungeon Master Forum over time: how it has affected me and what I found. What was your story?

1987-1991: The Void
Spoiler
1987 - Bought and played Dungeon Master on my 520 STFM. Led to a lot of dreams involving giant scorpions in my house.
1990 - Chaos Strikes Back! My Atari mouse kept dying (dodgy port) but still beat this monster
1991 - [FAME+1] ST Format magazine published my 'use lockpicks to get into prison' hint... so proud (and yet, still cannot find it)
2006-2007: Welcome...
Spoiler
2006 - [LUCK+1] Googling Dungeon Master for workmates, found forum. Joined. RTC amazed me!
2006 - [HOBBY+1] RTC project: Two Lovers published to polite appluase. http://bit.ly/2pOqhXK
2007 - [FAME+1] Managed to get bugfix into last ever RTC update! Respect to GG.
2007 - Began planning DM prequel, where you are the monsters - but fizzled: found RTC too constraining for story.
2007 - [HOBBY+1] due to random forum post, became an avid fan of OOTS. http://bit.ly/2qUQJPz
2013-2014: Zoooom
Spoiler
2013 - Grimrock: join their forum where everyone loves Dungeon Master there - some familiar faces too.
2013 - [GAME+1] Publish 'Prison of the Six' for Grimrock. http://bit.ly/2pZeCk4
2013 - Start campaign of distain against 'Dungeon Masters' iPhone game: it's still alive :(
2014 - [GAME+1] helped on Grimrock collaborative epic: 'One-Room-Round-Robin 2' http://bit.ly/2pZwhIB
2014-2015: Pain Rats
Spoiler
2014 - [LUCK+1] Chaos Shaman pinged me randomly and was drawn back into DM Forums: briefly tried to collaborate with him (as we all did!).
2014 - [GAME+1] DSB version of 'Two Lovers' dungeon created to compare RTC v DSB: fantastic engine, great fun! http://bit.ly/2rhIYmP
2015 - [SCIENCE+1] Publish some analytics data for DM Forum guys; help gang promote site via Twitter and ST Format group collaboration.
2015 - [HOBBY+1] inspired by Gambit's writing exercise start blogging 100-word entries: am still doing this today. http://bit.ly/2rulIPJ
2015 - Dark Reign 2 dragged me in and ate up a lot of my time... great RTC dungeon! http://bit.ly/2qw6bAC
2016-2017: Hall of Champions
Spoiler
2016 - Steam sale, bought RPGMaker VX Ace for a fiver... immediately thought of DM!
2017 - [GAME +1] Release Dungeon-Master inspired game, for RPGMaker platform! (I finally get to tell that story). http://bit.ly/2qUPHDd
2017 - Take stock of state of DM Forums and get involved a bit more.
SUMMARY:
THREE new interests, FIVE published projects, many good memories, many wodnerful conversations - all because I can here one day in 2006!
So thankyou! There are games I write, stories I tell, sites I visit I today that I never would have even known about without DM-Forums.

BEST THINGS:
Spoiler
Meeting a wonderful array of crazy yet lovely virtual friends.
Getting back into game-making thanks to DSB and RTC.
Finding the Mophus fanclub.
DARKEST DM CONFESSIONS:
Spoiler
Never played Dungeon Master 2, CSBWin, Eye of the Beholder, any of the legendary custom dungeons like Conflux - for shame! [To Do! WIP!]
ONE POST TO SUM UP FORUM:
'Ice Cream' - http://bit.ly/2pWYwZf - a typical example to show that you are all nuts (and yet so am I for joining in!)

DEDICATION:
A beautiful flawed half-finished collaboration evoking wonderful memories of inevitable fates: http://bit.ly/2pZxrno
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Saumun
High Lord

Re: Thankyou for the forum, the joy it's given.

Post by Saumun »

I also stumbled on the forum the same way... Googled DM and found RTC, then the forum.
I wonder how others came to find it.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I had the experience of working with some with that old editor doing some testing before this forum was started up, then joined this forum and lost contact for years after buying a home and rearing 3 children. Came back to this forum to find RTCeditor which gave such delight. Thank you to all that have made this possible and still take care of this forum for us hard core DM's.
keep your gor coin handy
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I loved Dungeon Master and played it to death on my ST, but there were only about 3 people in the world who I knew who also played it (and two of those were my brothers). So it sat for a long time as a semi-solitary obsession.

Then one morning I woke up with Dungeon Master in my head for some reason, no idea why. I went into work and idily Googled it, expecting to see a few stills or the cover art. I was blown away to see the community on here, and all the things that had been done to the game that I had never imagined. I popped in, chatted with lots of friendly folk, and downloaded CSBWin. Went straight through DM and CSB and loved them all over again.

Not too long later Beo set up a D&D campaign that I joined, which was another peak of my time on here. And then I never left!
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

From boyflea: 2014 - [LUCK+1] Chaos Shaman pinged me randomly and was drawn back into DM Forums: briefly tried to collaborate with him (as we all did!)
LOL ( not I!).
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Thanks all for the responses so far - interested in seeing how others ended up here: Google SEO seems very effective. :)

@terkio: Apologies for the blanket accusation terkio, :) - so what did you work on while you've been here? Joined 'recently' and yet a prolific amount of posts going on :)
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

terkio wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 6:54 am
From boyflea: 2014 - [LUCK+1] Chaos Shaman pinged me randomly and was drawn back into DM Forums: briefly tried to collaborate with him (as we all did!)
LOL ( not I!).
Oh that's okay Terkio, you were not the only one :P , as for that statement DAVE, no worries. It looks like most of it is over with, no more stupid engine wars which from what I have read, lasted nearly 10 years. Let's keep it that way.
keep your gor coin handy
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

...okay then. :D

So back to the thread:
found this article that I thought was apt: https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/22/1433 ... ips-ending

Part of the content inspires why I posted this thread; as in an unreal way, you are real to me (and no, I'm not just talking to CS here! ;) )
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

yes, this is interesting

" to address a rumor that IamDRock had created an avatar for a lover that didn’t exist."

This is fascinating. It is very possible that one could do this, multiple personalities can fall in love with each other. Not that this is what has happened, but in all the psychology books I have read, this is a real possibility. Most of the time it turns out it is just another avatar, most people use more than one but it usually is not on the same site. I can honestly say, chaos_shaman does NOT, even though he has multiple personalities which you have to catch him in the moment and it is usually brought on by music, alcohol and strong emotional experiences. One is female, and is able to communicate. I find this topic very interesting. Thanks for the post Dave. This is a field that I have explored for a very long long time. When finding oneself, these are the things that will pop up either through meditation or from psychiatric evaluation. When one asks themselves and hears another voice, we're in deep inside the mind, where spirit(s) reside. What makes one tic.
keep your gor coin handy
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

... well, wasn't that nice.

Look, I've delivered my last DM game now, and the JRPG engine really helps me tell the story I wanted to tell for 10 years: 'how did Gothmog end up in the final mirror?' - and now I'm happy with the result, and done. DM can be quite suffocating so shall now go walk the lands for a bit.

However, it has been a blast, and still keen to pop-back and know what others have delivered and how DM has enriched their lives.

cheers dudes. DAVE
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Excellent work Dave :-) Thank you for all your efforts to continue the legacy of DM. When I get a bit of time, I'll try out your game: I've never played that kind of game before so it'll be a new experience for me!

All the best for the future -- until we see you here again... :D
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Thanks! Yes, it is a different gaming experience - very casual, but really great at telling a tale. And just plain fun.
I've been around several forums too, rattling tins and banging drums - but a lot of other forums are also 'a bit quiet', so don't expect too many new visitors... still, I learned a few nice things and met some odd-but-nice folks along the way too.

However, yes, for now, I kinda need a break, :). Hope all goes well Gambit, and things get sorted soon.

DAVE
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Same thing for me. I've never played that type either and will definitely give it a go when time allows.

Also, you never know. Might get more attention than you think. Lots of lurkers, if fewer participants.
The only places my dungeons are linked to are this forum and the encyclopaedia, yet they get plenty of (and regular) downloads... So somebody is looking.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon