Hello everyone !

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sturm
Neophyte

Hello everyone !

Post by Sturm »

I'm 44 years old, from France, finished both DM and CSB back in the day on my Atari ST. Bought DM2 later on pc, but I did not really like it, so I did not go really far.
Finished Black Crypt on Amiga 500, played a lot EOB 2 but I gave up because of the intense disk swapping (only one floppy drive !).
Played Grimrock 1&2, they are good games, but nothing comes close to DM in my opinion.

Began playing DM yesterday (RTC DM-HD) and it's great !

Have a nice day !
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Hello everyone !

Post by Ameena »

Cool, heya...fellow DragonLance reader, or a coincidence? ;) Welcome to the forum!
Note that the RTC version of DM is a clone version made from scratch so isn't quite the same as the Atari version...best version to play for that is probably CSBWin. But the RTC editor is fairly straightforward to use if you want to make your own dungeons - I believe the CSBWin editor is more complicated. Not sure about DSB as I've never tried it.
So, do you have any silly/funny/interesting/embarrassing anecdotes if your time playing DM/CSB "back in the day"? It's always good to hear people's stories of stuff they used to get up to :D.

Re: Hello everyone !

Post by Sturm »

Ameena wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:00 pm So, do you have any silly/funny/interesting/embarrassing anecdotes if your time playing DM/CSB "back in the day"? It's always good to hear people's stories of stuff they used to get up to :D.
A lot actually :
I remember i was astonished when i first saw the game. I got it from a friend *cough cough*, as I only got one original game: Outrun.
I had an english version and i had to play with a dictionary nearby in order to try and understand the puzzles :D
I also remember I could not play too late at night in the dark because i was scared of the mobs, especially the mummies. Remember the ST version had no footstep sounds, which was even creepier (and the reason why I think the ST version is the best of all).
As it was not an original, I had that protection bug when you party dies all of a sudden, with that scary sound :o :o

I then bought an original and I did the same with CSB as soon as it came out.

I spent countless hours on those games, and they will remain one of my most memorable experience on a game.

I played a lot...but very few games are so addictive.

On the ST, it's been DM/CSB, no contest.
on the Amiga, I can't remember any
On the Nintendo 64, Goldeneye
On the PC, Fallout 1&2
On the PS3, Demon's Souls
On the PS4, TLOU and the Dark Souls series.