Remove member from party action

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Remove member from party action

Post by Black Eagle »

...seems to behave quite randomly when it chooses who to remove, even though im sending the member back to their mirror, sometimes it chooses someone else!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: Remove member from party action

Post by George Gilbert »

Black Eagle wrote:...seems to behave quite randomly when it chooses who to remove, even though im sending the member back to their mirror, sometimes it chooses someone else!
In RTC *any* action is performed by the person who triggered it. For example, if the party leader clicks on a fountain, it's the leader who drinks; if a particular member drinks a potion, it's that member who gets the liquid etc...

Same deal for the mirror actions. The person who triggers the "put character back in mirror" action is the one that gets put back.

What behaviour are you seeing (specifically, is it different from the above, and therefore how does it appear "random")?
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

thanks for the reply George. ok that makes sense now - i didnt realise it was the party leader who was removed from the party. i was labouring under the belief that the person who returns to the mirror is the same person who came from it.

bearing this in mind George is it therefore possible for me to put a specific character back into a mirror? for example, Gothmog is in a mirror, but he is 'recruited' using Add To Party (instead of the usual resurrect/reincarnate). i then later on wish to remove Gothmog back to his mirror. i hope this makes sense.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Can you put an intermediate relay into the mix to check is gothmog is the leader at gothmog's mirror?
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

i dont think theres a way of telling who the leader is, is there? if there was, could you even make Gothmog the leader, before removing him back to his mirror?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Leader as in active member who is controlling the mouse - check the relay queries and see if there is one that checks who the activating party member is, I blieve there is an option

Therefore, you would filter the swap activation first to a relay, check gothmog was the one touching the mirror, and if he was then he gets swapped back

Repeat for each mirror and the character in that mirror

As i say, i seem to recall there was that comparison ability in the relay menu, you will need to check and if not ask for it from GG
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

there seems to be that comparison in Relay - Triggering: MEMBER EQUAL_TO Character:Gothmog, but this wont solve what im trying to do.

what i want to do is have a temporary party member, someone who we pick up on the way, who travels with us briefly, and then leaves the party at a certain point. we never see the 'mirrors', we actually see a wall graphic of the member standing waiting for us, we click on it for them to join us, and then they leave at a specific square later on. so it seems that i still need to force this temporary member to be the leader so i can then use remove_from_party correctly. i get the feeling this isn't possible :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No, i don't think it is yet!
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

:( George is it possible to add this functionality? perhaps the ability to force who the party leader is, or another function like remove_from_party, that will specifically move the person back to the mirror who was originally inside it? eg. so if i cloned a standard mirror, and called it MIRROR_GOTHMOG, put GOTHMOG in it, called ADD_CHARACTER_TO_PARTY(MIRROR_GOTHMOG), then later i call action REMOVE_FROM_PARTY_SPECIFIC(MIRROR_GOTHMOG), it would remove Gothmog (or do nothing if Gothmog wasnt in the party) and put him back in his mirror, as opposed to the leader.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Off the top of my head here as I'm not near RTC to check, but I'm sure conditional relays should be able to do what you want if triggered by EACH_PARTY_MEMBER and then the conditional is to match a specific member???? Only when the condition is matched would you fire the "return to mirror" action.

I could be talking bollocks though.
Last edited by Gambit37 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Just had a look in the editor. Your trigger's OPBY should be EACH_PARTY_MEMBER and that should fire a relay that tests that the Triggering CHARACTER is EQUAL_TO Character GOTHMOG. The target of the relay should be your mirror swap action. Haven't tried it, but it should work.
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

i think it would still send the leader back to the mirror as opposed to a specific character - so if Zed was the leader and i called Remove_character_from_party to Gothmog's mirror, it would send Zed instead.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

How? The triggering character MUST BE Gothmog in the condition specified above for it to be matched, other wise the test itself is pointless! Basically, nothing should happen if Gothmog isn't the leader because the condition won't be matched.

Give it a go and see what happens -- if it's as you say, then I would say that's a flaw.
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

i can see how that would work, but my problem is i need to remove gothmog no matter who the leader is at that point. i dont want it to just not to trigger if gothmog isnt the leader.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You could do it as a floor trigger then -- this ensures all members are checked against the condition, regardless of leader. This is how I do character "speaking".
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

yeah although when i call remove_character_from_party (even only when gothmog is in the party), the leader will be removed, not necessarily gothmog.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

??? That's not what GG said:
In RTC *any* action is performed by the person who triggered it. For example, if the party leader clicks on a fountain, it's the leader who drinks; if a particular member drinks a potion, it's that member who gets the liquid etc...

Same deal for the mirror actions. The person who triggers the "put character back in mirror" action is the one that gets put back.
If you use a conditional relay, then you have total control over who gets put back. I think you're getting a bit mixed up?
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

yes! got it to work! i had to set the trigger to be each_party_member, not just party. thanks George, and thanks Gambit for your patience :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Cool, nice one -- so you were able to use a wall trigger or did you have to use a floor trigger?
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

i use a wall trigger to recruit the member. i use a floor trigger which triggers, by each_party_member, a relay, which, if triggering character is gothmog, removes him from party. this is exactly what i want to happen :)
btw the names have been changed to protect the innocent - it isnt gothmog im removing! :P
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

a bit off-topic but aesthetically speaking, using a wallitem for recruiting people sounds weird to me. that means that party may "bump" into.
i would have used a non-moving invicible monster (i love those) with triggers around him that activate an info screen.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Or have a pillar so wallitem, but non-attacking invisible monster under so the bump is eliminated - worked for me :D
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

lol thanks for the feedback, but have you tried walking into a person recently?! ouch! definately takes a health point away ;) aesthetically they work well, in terms of the storyline and the situation the recruits are in :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

? When did that happen?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I think he means in Real Life...
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

indeed :?
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

George Gilbert wrote:
Black Eagle wrote:...seems to behave quite randomly when it chooses who to remove, even though im sending the member back to their mirror, sometimes it chooses someone else!

What behaviour are you seeing (specifically, is it different from the above, and therefore how does it appear "random")?

I can't seem to find the Action-"put character back in mirror" i see Add and Remove character. How do I put character back into the mirror. I don't know where the character goes when it is removed, heh.
could someone enlighten me a little, just a little
Trego
Artisan

Re:

Post by Trego »

I think you use 2 mirrors (or things that looks like mirrors), one that looks empty (invisible), the other with the picture of the character. Clicking the mirror activates 'Add Character To Party' action; on adding, the mirrors get swapped (invisible/not invisible). Where stepping back onto the tile by the now empty looking mirror activates an action 'Remove From Party' via a relay defined by that character, switching the mirrors back. There is other actions in there, but it only looks like the character has been put back.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

What I would do:
Clone a dummy FLOORITEM_TRIGGER, I'll call it "dummy1". Clone another dummy FLOORITEM_TRIGGER, I'll call it "dummy2".
When you trigger your effect, make it do a MOVE_PARTY_TO_OBJECT_LOCATION to "dummy2"s object type. Have "dummy2" trigger on EACH_LIVING_PARTY_MEMBER, triggering a relay to check which party member is currently activating it... Then just do another MOVE_PARTY_TO_OBJECT_LOCATION to "dummy1"s object type, and do an OBJECT_DEACTIVATE on "dummy1"s type.

The beauty of doing it my way is that it can be triggered anywhere in the dungeon and you can get the same effect. I've used this trick to achieve MANY different effects.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@Lord Bones: Can you clarify your example? Are both dummy triggers on the same tile, and the tile is the one the party is cyurrently standing on? The way you've written it suggests you're moving the party around the dungeon? (MOVE_PARTY_TO_OBJECT_LOCATION)