Making trees in RTC

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Re: Making trees in RTC

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

nice gambit..

i did it with a pure blue as roof for sky with trees objects and removed the bitmaps for the walls in one, in another i tried using the entire floor at 448x272, just changing the floor bitmaps, in another i put trees with the sky as the roof, in another i used the wall as trees themselves and now combining methods for strange results, i tried a few crazy methods... one crazy one i was playing with was the construct, in a black room the party has to cast spells to create dungeon walls etc, that was my last experiment i had going with screwing around with wallsets :)
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

In it's simplest form, you basically need a roof image that looks like a sky, and meets RTC's requirements in terms of size and such. For different effects, you can play around with skies that are clear, cloudy, daytime, night time, have lightning in the background, or anything else you can think of that goes on in the sky.
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Thanks all for responses. I think in the Forest of Doom demo dungeon, I saw the sky effect such that the sky bitmap doesn't mirror or flip as you take each step. It stays static creating the illusion that the sky is far in the distance.

When I put the sky texture for the roof bitmap (say like the Misty Roof bitmap from DM2), this sky texture flips each step. How do I make it not flip? Or is the secret to have a symetrical bitmap?
Gambit37 wrote: That's how I did the trees / horizon in the sample shown above:
http://dungeon-master.com/forum/viewtop ... 45#p122200
Thanks for the link Gambit.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I don't remember specifics, but there's an option in RTC to specify N,S,E,W bitmaps for roof/ceiling. Assign them all the same image and the "flipping each step" will stop.
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Perfect, that sorted it, thanks.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

gambit has it right, placed on the main F1. but there are other sneaky things you can do, play with it. if you choose the no flip method, you might get the feeling that it's a painting in the background. you could make a slightly different backdrop for the flip, just to remove that painting feel.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Yes, definitely play around with it, you may surprise yourself with the different effects you can create just by messing around with things. Some of the world's greatest and most revolutionary inventions were accidents. Artist and painter Bob Ross always called them "Happy Accidents."

If you keep playing around with it you may create an immersive world where you've got a mountain range, say to the north, a flat open plains to the west and a dense forest to the south, and who knows what to the east, maybe more forest, maybe an ocean? Who knows but whatever it ends up being, it'll be amazing your custom dungeon will be more then just a custom dungeon, it'll be a whole new game built on the RTC engine. :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

that's right SU, and if one combines them with triggers then one can really make it come to life. in EoC, that is exactly what i did, so playing wround with it is a good idea.

many different ways a wallset can be made.
keep your gor coin handy