Worn Object Triggers?

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Saumun
High Lord

Worn Object Triggers?

Post by Saumun »

I'm guessing that the answer is probably 'no', but either way... a concrete answer will save me a lot of time.

Can a set of circumstances be triggered by an object that is being worn, and not simply carried?
For example:- a wall item being deactivated when an object is worn on a certain body part
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Saumun
High Lord

Re: Worn Object Triggers?

Post by Saumun »

I'll expand...

The reason i asked is that i want an object that protects the wearer from poison.
I cloned a helm and gave it 100% anti-poison in the hidden attributes, but it didn't work.
The question was posed with a view to getting around this, but if anyone could tell me why the cloned helm didn't work.....
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Been a while, but I am sure that equipping an item can be made to trigger an action. So you can have on_equip and on_unequip (or whatever they are called) activate/deactivate a wall action you can do some fun things. Even change what you are equipping/unequipping to a different version of itself that would trigger floor triggers in a way that the original item would not.

I tried something parallel to this where I wanted chainmail and platemail to be worn together - there was a trick to having an unequip of a mail shirt and an equip of a plate mail item swap out to a combined item. It was a little unstable as I was using two triggers - simply swapping a single item for a different version of itself should consistently work!

I'm not sure if there is something else you need to do with an item to get that anti-poison hidden attribute to work, if the anti-poison isn't working exactly how you think it would (it protects from spell poison not creature poison?) or if it#s broken and no one has noticed until now.

Try the helm with something more noticeable instead like anti-fire and experiment to see if it's the attribute or the equip that isn't working correctly.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Try a cloned crown of nera. When worn the crown gives +10 in wisdom.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Aaaaarrrgh!

Originally set up a corridor with poison shooters to test object. As previously stated, it didn't work.
Reworked corridor with fireball shooters and configured helm with 100% anti-fire, but still got obliterated.
Am i missing something really obvious? Do object attributes have to be activated somehow?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Anti-poison and anti-fire even at 100% may just be a percentage increase of the natural anti-poison/anti-fire stat, which may only be reducing damage not preventing it. Certainly the anti-fire stat is a reduction not an immunity unless it gets insanely high.

Try two identical test characters and see if one dies significantly slowly. As terkiro says, try cloning the crown which has a natural increaser on it already. If you can swap that to anti-fire, you will see if the stat gets increased. If it does, then you can swap the stat increase to anti-poison (invisible on a character) knowing the stat is being boosted, and you can then play with the level you need to have any effect in the game. But again, you may need an insane;y high level to grant total immunity, and instead it's just a recuction compared to a normal person.

Sorry, I don't recall how anti-poison works, but it might be the same mechanism as anti-fire, in which case the name is a little misleading!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Hmmm. May have to rethink this part.

I've been cloning different objects (crown of nerra, flamebain), but nothing seems to work.
Most recently i had shooters firing repeating fireballs with a strength of 35. The object never protects the test character by more than 10 damage, regardless of how high the anti-fire value is set (even at 999999). Interestingly though, the fireball damage increases when you give the object a negative anti-fire value. So it does work when decreasing fire protection.

Although this most recent test was with fire, my original aim was to have a section of dungeon where each tile was poisoned with the wearer of the object being immune. The rest of the party would be affected, thus necessitating all party members to wear one to pass safely.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You can use a very low strength poison cloud for the effect, but actually use damage tiles to damage the party - those I think could be disabled by the worn object.

Very strange about the anti-fire numbers. I wonder if something became broken...
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

That is strange, but with using the fireshield spell, I've noticed that in RTC fire damage never seems to be totally reduced to 0, no matter how high the anti-fire or how many mon-level fireshields you cast. Whereas in the Amiga version, I could cast several mon level fireshields and have, say, a viper demon's fireballs unable to damage the party at all.

I wonder if George Gilbert made this change to the original engine on purpose to make it more challenging or if it is simply an unresolved bug. If so it could be a similar thing for the anti-poison as well, resistance to poison goes up, but is never complete immunity, just like I can't get complete fireball immunity in RTC, but could in the Amiga version.

Still, if you can run a check on each party member, one at a time, using a Relay, to see if that party member is wearing a particular item and if not have that Relay activate and it can in turn activate a low level poison effect, or even just a purely cosmetic poison cloud, and a damage only that party member. I'm not sure if this exact procedure is even possible in its entirety as this is something I've not done in RTC before, but parts of it should be and may give you more ideas on how to get the effect you want. It's also worth looking into to see if there is an action that can poison a particular party member as well and you could add that in as well, if it is possible.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

not sure you can specify who gets the damage in the party unless maybe the worn object itself can do the damage, it's an area that should be explored more for sure.
keep your gor coin handy
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Fireshield in RTC is not as in FTL.
In RTC, casting hundreds of fireshields does not give more protection, it lasts for an extremely long time.
Similar issue about potions.
In RTC strenght potions, dexterity potions, wisdom positions give a boost that last much longer, it decays much slower than in FTL.
In RTC, it is easy to keep fireshield on, and to keep wisdom, strength and dexterity over 200. Not so in FTL.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman