Experience and level depth

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ebeneezergude
Expert

Experience and level depth

Post by ebeneezergude »

Is it possible in RTC to control the level multiplier for experience? In DM, you get increasing levels of experience multiplier the deeper down you go; ie, lower dungeon levels means more experience. Can you control this multiplier in RTC? What if you wanted to start at the bottom of a dungeon and work upwards, for example?
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Re: Experience and level depth

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

yes, you can control that by changing what level the player is on, nobody has to know that the level has changed, yet you can change how the experience is gained. you could use level three as level fifty. I won't say anything :) so in answer to your question, level one is level 50, level 50 is level one as far as the player knows.
keep your gor coin handy
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Not sure I understand that chaos! So how do I make the lowest level have the lowest experience, and the highest level the highest experience? I can't see any controls in rtc to set properties these per level. Or were you thinking clever use of teleported or something?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

RTC doesn't use experience multipliers as such. I'm fairly certain the experience given has nothing to do with the depth down into the dungeon at all-- otherwise CSB wouldn't work very well.
An extremely old post from George said something about calculating it "based on the dungeon's contents" without regard for the level number.
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... =6&t=23280
But anyway, there isn't anything you can directly set.
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Thanks Sophia. Quite cryptic from Mr.Gilbert there.... I did do a search before posting but somehow didn't see that post.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

ebeneezergude wrote:Not sure I understand that chaos! So how do I make the lowest level have the lowest experience, and the highest level the highest experience? I can't see any controls in rtc to set properties these per level. Or were you thinking clever use of teleported or something?
that's not what I was saying, I was saying you make the player think they are on level 50, but really they are on level 1, or vice versa which I think that's what you'd like, to increase experience from the start. so there is no controls for it, it's you manipulating what's there the way you want it.

if this has nothing to do with levels, then it will make no difference... we'd have to ask GG
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Well, he already did mention in the topic Sofia linked to that the dungeon level has nothing to do with it, so manipulating levels won't help for this. It could be useful for other special effects you might want to create though.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I was wondering how the original worked too, it sure seemed like the further the party went down, the more experience, but that could be because the monsters get tougher, not sure how it works for the original.
keep your gor coin handy
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

In the original (and CSBWin and DSB), each level could be assigned an experience multiplier. In DM, it is true that the further down you went, the higher the multiplier got. I think it went from 1 (Hall of Champions) to 7 (Dragon level), so you would get 7 times as many experience points down there. Also, if a monster attacked you, there was a short time frame where you gained additional experience points, so actually fighting something toe to toe gave you more experience than punching a door for hours.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I did notice that when a character got hurt they gain exp. I once left a character for hours, he was starving to death, but he had gained so much exp he couldn't die, he went up all the levels without even swinging a sword or kick.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Doesn't that just work for fighter levels though? The only levels I've ever gained that way are fighter levels, and that's rare because I usually don't let a monster pound away on my party for long enough for that to work.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

yes, fighter levels through starving to death, the health, stamina and I think a bit of mana went up in value. I forget what character it was. it was nice to know that he'll survive without food and water. that should be impossible though. if I had to run around he probably would die because he'd lose stamina. there were no creatures attacking but I guess we could also make it so if the party takes some damage that an invisible response to the attack could be possible, sort of a defence, give a small bit of damage locally to any attack. I think that is fair.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Chaos-Shaman wrote:there were no creatures attacking but I guess we could also make it so if the party takes some damage that an invisible response to the attack could be possible, sort of a defence, give a small bit of damage locally to any attack. I think that is fair.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that... :?
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

the party is to do a small amount of damage first to any monster attack, just for the first sneak attack it makes(say while sleeping) the party has like a gun under their pillow ;) those monsters better think again :) so if you find that special object that has FIRST STRIKE, I am sure you know what first strike is, if you've played MTG then you know what I am saying. i think this is feasible. I have always wanted to design a dungeon around MTG mechanics. I love that game, I had so much fun teaching youngsters how to play, it's very involved. so we already have objects that change the stats, what we don't have is objects that give first strike. since the monsters have advanced ai as you know, this prospect becomes more possible, we can hook up the monsters attack easy enough to whatever we wish and vice versa. so I hope you understand and I know I can be a bit confusing, nothing out of the ordinary though eh :lol:

that's ok SU, you're not the only one who doesn't understand me. the only one that fully does is my spouse who can read my mind too ;) it took 30 or so years to do it :)
keep your gor coin handy
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Well, based on what GG said in the thread Sophia kindly provided, I think starting in the middle is ok in terms of level depth relating to experience, ie, going upwards is not going to make it 'worse' in terms of gaining experience.