Stat degradation...

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Saumun
High Lord

Stat degradation...

Post by Saumun »

How can i alter how quickly a stat deteriorates?
I want to make a character's strength deteriorate quicker than it does naturally after drinking a Ku potion.
I can see nothing in the object's values that affects this, nor in the spell.
I have tried triggering an relay/action but am getting a little lost.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Re: Stat degradation...

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I'm not sure Sauman, but it may help into looking at how poison works, the more the character gets poisoned the more health he loses.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Aaah yes... Good idea. It is lost bit by bit, which is what i want the stats to do.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

yup, I am still learning a lot about RTC, there is so much to play with.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Aaagh! I'm so frustratingly close with this one.

I am using a ku potion to test this. I can now control how much strength is gained by drinking the potion, and can also control at what rate the character's strength deteriorates. I can also stop the deterioration at a certain point, but this is a set value and poses a problem when drinking differing strengths of ku potion.
I used a cloned counter to stop the deterioration, but due to the random nature of how much strength is gained it may stop above/below the character's natural strength.
I could control the amount of strength gained for a certain level of potion, but this causes more problems when taking, for example... a lo strength potion (i randomly chose pal to work with).
My problem is that i have little/no experience in setting up conditional parameters in a relay. I have done a little tinkering, but cannot get it to do what i want (which is for the deterioration in strength to stop when it reaches the character's natural, non enhanced strength). I'm sure this could be achieved effectively by doing this.
I would greatly appreciate any help on this.

I'll just (hopefully) briefly run through my current setup:-

3 cloned Ku potions (strength set at -1, 1, and another at 1), 2 'boost character by object' actions (strength set at 5 and 15), 1 cloned relay, 3 normal relays (set up to cycle), 1 cloned counter, 1 'counter set' action.

The Ful Bro Ku spell activates the cloned (1 strength) potion.
In the convert > 'consume' tab of this potion, the additional action is set to activate the cloned relay. The cloned relay in turn activates the normal cyclical relays. These relays activate/deactivate/activate etc... the actions.
The two actions are set to activate the other two cloned potions. One activates the other 1 strength potion with a value of 5. The other activates the -1 strength potion with a value of 15, thereby creating a negative (after the initial consumption) and the character's strength deteriorates by 1. The cycling relays continue this process and also target the cloned counter.
I set the cloned counter at 25 (i was getting roughly 25 strength from a pal level potion). Once the counter decreases to zero, the relays are deactivated and the counter set back to 25, and the process stops.

Just to reiterate... The problem is that if the potion adds 23 to the character's strength rather than 25, you end up -2 to the character's natural strength. Although the strength will go back to normal naturally, this is still very annoying. Also... this was based on a pal level potion. It would be even worse for a weaker one.
If this could be achieved through a conditional parameter, please let me know how.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

My problem is that i have little/no experience in setting up conditional parameters in a relay. I have done a little tinkering, but cannot get it to do what i want (which is for the deterioration in strength to stop when it reaches the character's natural, non enhanced strength).
i can try and help you with that, pm
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Closer still....
I have made it level out at the character's natural strength with a conditional relay, but it only works for one character.
How to target individual party members?
I know i can target each one appearing in the dungeon, but what about an imported party?
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Did you try using the "Triggering" radio button and select "Health_Max"?

If you used that one, I'd expect it to work on whatever member triggered the actions in the first place (in this case, whoever drunk the potion).

You should then be able to compare it to the counter your using to get the cut-off point for the character who drunk the potion, if my understanding of how this feature works. Try experimenting with it and see what happens.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I did try that.... and it works just fine, with one problem.
It does trigger the character that drinks the potion, but if a second character drinks a potion before the first action/relay sequence has run its course then it doesn't work for the second character.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I could create a relay for each character in the dungeon, but the effect would be negated by an imported party that i cannot predict.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Okay... I have at last managed it.
I can make it work for every character, and at any time.
Unfortunately it takes five relays and two actions for every character.... per potion (so, hundreds). I'd better get started.
Copy and Paste... Here we go!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

excellent Saumun, happy you found the answer.
keep your gor coin handy
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I must emphasize that this fix by Saumun is a nice contibution.
It fixes flaws there are in all RTC custom games which deeply change the gameplay for players who are aware and take advantage of those.
Saumun found how to enforce the gameplay as designed by FTL.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Yes, great work Saumun
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

don't look at it as a near impossible task Saumun, you can do it, use the suggestion I sent you, it'll make those relays a lot easier to handle, you should be able to shoot them down, could take out 500 conditional relays in a day, think it out, plan your method, then go at it. your enthusiasm is addicting, I hope it spreads.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

terkio wrote:I must emphasize that this fix by Saumun is a nice contibution.
It fixes flaws there are in all RTC custom games which deeply change the gameplay for players who are aware and take advantage of those.
Saumun found how to enforce the gameplay as designed by FTL.
flaws, no flaws really, it is programming, the flaw was in the designing, not the engine, it can do so much and we have hardly touched its abilities. Saumun showed how determination and out of the box thinking works which is all the engine needs. expect to see most of the restrictions removed from the engine as time goes on, as they say, the proof will be in the pudding.

good work Saumun
keep your gor coin handy