Programming with RTC

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
terkio
Mon Master

Programming with RTC

Post by terkio »

[rant]
Y am amazed of this stuff where you cannot acces things the usual way.
Usualy you can read or write or compare. Not so when you want to address the strenght of a champion, for instance, there is no way to set strenght, read it or test it. May be there is some clunky work around, who knows. I don' t understand that RTC.
There must be inside, some Object like Programming where you have objects, their attributes and methods to read/write/compare object attributes. How come it is a different story for the user ? I am fed up wasting my time.
[/rant]
Last edited by terkio on Fri May 16, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Promming with RTC

Post by Gambit37 »

Promming!?

RTC wasn't designed to be used that way. If you want that sort of flexibility, then switch to DSB. Seriously.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I think I understand what you mean Gambit, RTCeditor uses a GUI while DSB allows line coding ( with Lua ).
The complaint I make is that with RTCeditor's GUI I found no way to access the strenght of a champion. Can one display on a wall or a floor text the strenght of a champion for instance ?. Can one trigger something when strenght is below some value ? The only place I saw some usual programming is about counters where you have "actions" to set, to increment, to decrement and something happens when it reaches zero.
All one can do about strenght is a "action boost character by object". That changes the strenght value, confused with some randomness.
RTC is so clunky, my explanation about it is cluncky too. RTC is light years far from professioonal programming tools like Borland C++ builder for instance.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

terkio wrote:RTC is light years far from professioonal programming tools like Borland C++ builder for instance.
You are comparing apples and oranges. RTC was never designed to be a "professional programming tool". It's a visual dungeon builder with some basic scripting capabilities that's accessed through a clunky GUI. That's all it is.

If you want a tool that's more like traditional programming, then switch to DSB. Or maybe even Legend of Grimrock.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I edited the subject "Programming" ( iso Promming :oops: I am not going to burn Programmable Read Only Memories :) )
I agree, apples and oranges.
I mentioned Borland C++ Builder a tool ( among others ) to easily make Windows applications, perfect to develop game editors.