Disabling/Destroying switches created 'in-game'...

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Saumun
High Lord

Disabling/Destroying switches created 'in-game'...

Post by Saumun »

I've a feeling the answer to this is probably no, but is it there any way to disable or destroy a switch that has been created in-game?
I won't go into too much detail because it will take too long, but:-

I have a lever that targets different mechanics depending whether it is in the up or down position. It is actually two separate levers. Clicking the first lever does its business and then converts itself to the second lever, and vice versa.

The problem is... I'd like to be able to disable it via a master switch, but since the object has been created after the fact, it cannot be targeted in the editor.
I suspect there is nothing i can do, but i just wondered if anyone knew a bit of trickery to get around this.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
terkio
Mon Master

Re: Disabling/Destroying switches created 'in-game'...

Post by terkio »

In case this might help:
Actions refer objects by names ( iso targets ).
Action object activate.
Action object deactivate.
Action object toggle.
Last edited by terkio on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Unfortunately the object has no name, as It is created 'in-game' by clicking the original object (with the original object 'converting' to the new one) and so cannot be targeted.
I have found a way to do what i wanted to do, but had to go a different route. Not the way i wanted but it works.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

"It is actually two separate levers. Clicking the first lever does its business and then converts itself to the second lever, and vice versa."

can't do that, if the lever has a target and you swap it out, the original target is lost. anything that targets something can't be carried over that I know of. I tried swapping all kinds of stuff, it seems it loses the original properties. you'll need to go to the relays and name them specific to get around that.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I suspected it couldn't be done, but thought i'd ask anyway.

As you say... When the conversion happens, the original target is lost and as far as i can tell, the new object has no id as it only gets created during game play.
Or if it gets an id/ref no. there's no way of telling what it is.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

if you name the relays you can most likely get around the two switch, just use one. also, it is possible to switch a relay on or off but is a bit tricky. also possible to target a conditional relay to another conditional relay which can help out in many situations where you want to carry on the action. very useful. building a dungeon can be nutz but I can say one thing if you want to be able to keep it all upstairs, NAME EVERYTHING, this includes actions, triggers, relays, speeches, counters, monsters, EVERYTHING. what this can do is instead of targeting objects all over the place, you can use an action to turn them off or on and what not. I think where people have struggles in is not naming everything. once they are all named the mind has control of what is what. also naming everything it makes it easy to add other dungeons to your own, so they don't get confuses. in the case of Banville, almost everything is named with a Banville followed by what it is or what it does, much easier to work with and I want to see if the community wants to give that a try, everyone make their own level that is labeled

LEVEL 0 = L0........... L0-RELAY (NAME) .... and so on
LEVEL 1 = L1........... L1-RELAY (NAME) .... and so on

easy to do and if the entire community works together, can build a frigging dungeon so fast and beautiful, but that's up to the community to work together, a hard sell, doubt we can pull it off unfortunately.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I actually got around the problem (i should stress... didn't solve it, but worked around it), by pretty much doing exactly that.
Using named conditional relays.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

awesome, I wish GG would explain to us how we can use the relays to their fullest. I am not sure they are complete. I can't use all the functions as I thought I could. if you have any questions about them, go for it, we can learn from each other.
keep your gor coin handy